Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle in direct heat

Apologise if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any tips for reading/using a Kindle in heat. i.e on holiday. Is it safe? Will it damage the device?

Am off to Croatia in a few weeks time and expect it to be quite hot.

Thanks.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post
Apologise if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any tips for reading/using a Kindle in heat. i.e on holiday. Is it safe? Will it damage the device?

Am off to Croatia in a few weeks time and expect it to be quite hot.

Thanks.
I was using mine at 35C in Greece a couple of weeks ago, and it was absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I was using mine outside at the pool the other day in 90F weather without any problem.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
According to the Kindle manual, the operating temperature range is 0 to 35 degrees. The storage temperature is -10 to 45 degrees. Right now, the high at Zagreb is 36. So you would do well to keep out of direct sunlight when reading (although I expect there is a margin of error in the specs). Also, it might be cooler on the coast.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I used mine last year in central Spain and had no problems. The days got up to 42C and it worked just fine. I would not leave it lying in direct sun for a long period of time.

I'm planning to bring it to Rome in a couple weeks. July is a good time to visit Rome, right?
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have noticed that when I read my K3 in the sun that the screen doesn't refresh as well, there will be ghosts of previous images. But it works just fine, even in hot, bright sunlight.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have noticed that when I read my K3 in the sun that the screen doesn't refresh as well, there will be ghosts of previous images. But it works just fine, even in hot, bright sunlight.
When the ghosts show up do you try ALT + G to see if it will clear it?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here in Hell (Texas) where the summertime temps are routinely over 95 F (35 C) during the afternoon, I've had no problems with my Kindles while reading outside. I don't actually get into the direct sunlight though as 95 F plus direct sunlight equals suicide by Sun.

A few years ago the Sony PRS-300 I had would start to slow down as far as page turn speed went as it got hot. It would also start to get a lighter shade of gray for text and even show ghosting. As soon as it cooled down it returned to normal. But I've never had that problem with any of my ereaders since then.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Using my K3 on breaks when I decide to make the field trip out of the building into the "cool" 100°f temperatures is alright. I haven't really noticed any major changes in behavior, MAYBE a little bit sluggish page turning...but nothing else really. Then again, I'm not out for any longer than 20-30 minutes at a time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote