Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #46
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Welcome, Hugh!

(I have read through book 4, and I'll be reading the 5th by the end of the month.)

I do think it's interesting that you have a--I'm not sure if I want to call it a "strategy" or a "writing style"--that is only possible in the age of ebooks. Do you think that is true? You can release something that's too long to be a short story and too short to be a novel. (Stephen King wrote an essay many years ago about how he loves short stories, but he loses money on them.) Would a domestic publisher shoe-horn you into a more traditional-length work?

And I have to ask. Who would YOU like to see in the movie version?

eP
Evangaline Lily as Jules. I have a crush on her. We cast the entire show on my blog a while back. It was a ton of fun. All kinds of good suggestions from readers.

The publishing strategy was quite by accident. I was writing 100,000 word novels like I was "supposed to." I had two short stories out there that I didn't publicize at all. Wool took off on its own, and I started writing the subsequent stories.

I eased the works into a longer format, not sure how the short format would keep working and scared I would turn off existing fans. It seemed to work. And publishers are now toying with having established authors write short stories between novels to hype releases. There was an article in the NYT about this just last week. So the model I lucked into is the same one publishers are adopting. Not related, of course, but an interesting coincidence.

None of what I've done would have been likely ten years ago. That's my opinion, at least. E-readers change everything. We can write as long as the story needs and price it as cheap as we choose. This is revolutionary. It changes everything. Not many have copped onto this yet.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #47
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually cast Wool as part of an exercise in a book club. I put Natalie Portman as Jules because I believe she's played very similar roles very well in the past.

I had a ecclectic cast of big namers because I guess I couldn't be bothered finding better suited but lesser known actors.

Last edited by caleb72; 05-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #48
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Wool Omnibus seems to have gone to number 1 in SF in the UK Kindle charts since yesterday. The power of a bit of news.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #49
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The Wool Omnibus seems to have gone to number 1 in SF in the UK Kindle charts since yesterday. The power of a bit of news.
No way! Wow!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #50
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #55 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)

#1 in Books > Fiction > Science Fiction > Adventure
#1 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Science Fiction > Adventure
#1 in Books > Fiction > Science Fiction > High Tech
Number 55 overall as well. Not bad!

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #51
hughhowey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Number 55 overall as well. Not bad!

Andrew
My UK editor must be thrilled to see this!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #52
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
My UK editor must be thrilled to see this!
I just started to read it in my lunch hour at work, and boy was that a bad idea! Now I've got to wait another five hours until I get home to carry on. So far all the praise seems very well deserved.

Andrew
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
This series is fantastic! I can't wait to find out what happens next. I personally prefer shorter, more frequent releases via the independent model to longer once-a-year releases that traditional publishing houses put out.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #54
hughhowey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I just started to read it in my lunch hour at work, and boy was that a bad idea! Now I've got to wait another five hours until I get home to carry on. So far all the praise seems very well deserved.

Andrew
Thanks, Andrew!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #55
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I hope it all works out for him you... I really do. ...........

Damn, Diap, how do you do that neat crossy-out, I long to know - this Mr. TechDunce don't ferget......

Oh, and I'm a Woollie too.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #56
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Damn, Diap, how do you do that neat crossy-out, I long to know - this Mr. TechDunce don't ferget......

Oh, and I'm a Woollie too.
Not Diap but -- [ strike ]word to strikeout[ /strike ] -- remove spaces between bracket start and finish

word to strikeout
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #57
Kerfuffle
Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.

Device: Sony Prs-650 (mine) Sony PRS-T1 (wife's)
I am on to book 2 now, read the first yesterday on the recommendation of a friend.

They really are good and the best thing to see is how an author is just doing their thing without the huge commercial pressure and issues that come with a large publisher.

I think Hugh is right when he says not very many have cottoned on to the revolution that ereaders have started and the different opportunities that will result.
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #58
andyh2000
Avid reader

Our dignified author. What can I say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIoHObRNO78

Andrew

PS Up to book 4 now. Still amazing. The progressive disclosure of what's going on is handled way better than most books I've read by traditionally published big name authors.

Last edited by andyh2000; 05-17-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #59
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
LOL
Nobody said he was sane.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #60
hughhowey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
LOL
Nobody said he was sane.
Someone would be crazy to even suggest this.

And yeah, when I made the bet that led to me dancing with a silly hat on, I thought ever reaching 100 Amazon reviews for any of my books was pure fantasy. Never happen. Perfectly safe.

Not so much.