Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
craztsom
craztsom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need a new netbook

Going to university soon and I don't plan to use my old desktop while I'm there.
I want a netbook that's pretty light, steady and has a good quality battery that won't die on me after a year.
craztsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
ofey
Kindle3 Noob
ofey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I will suggest one but mine be abit off the beaten track.

Go on eBay and look for a Dell Mini 10V.
You should be able to get a N280 (1.66GHz) Atom version for just under US$375. There is a N270 version but no point going down that path.

Now here's where you need to spend abit more.
Get a new Seagate 7200RPM Hybrid Drive of 500GB size
Get a 2GB SODIMM RAM upgrade
and you need an external DVD drive for about US$40.
and a 8GB memory stick for about US$12?

Total will top out at about US$500

Here's where it gets fun.
You can DUAL boot the machine and run both Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Windows 7 on it.

I've used this machine for work and home and I enjoy it immensely. Never ever caught out.

I can run word processors, spreadsheets, iTunes and the GIMP for image processing.

You'll be the envy of so many.
ofey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Moved to "Which one should I buy?" sub-forum on the assumption that netbook usage will involve ebook-reading. If just generic advice on netbooks requested, please advise via PM and I will move it the "Lounge" sub-forum.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm not up to date on the latest netbooks, but they tend to be near-identical to the point that the critical differences are not specs, but ergonomics. How comfortably is the keyboard laid out? Is it a glossy or matte screen (I would highly recommend matte, especially for ebooks)? How does the trackpad behave?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Some people use the enTourage eDGe as if it were a netbook. It has 2 screens that fold together like a book. One screen is e-ink, the other is LCD running Android.

It all depends on what your uses are: "University" is pretty vague, as is "netbook".

Best wishes to you! I hope you find just the thing!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
We have a Gateway Netbook. It has an 11.1" screen and we really like it.

Filark, I found this thread looking for the eDGe forum. Still looking.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Particularly for a college student, I suggest you upgrade to a laptop with AMD Fusion. This is a tick above the Intel netbooks. There are now several more laptops to choose from, but the first good example was the HP dmz1, see HP dm1z: Taking Fusion on the Road. This is using the E-350 microprocessor, which is best if you can afford it. The cheaper option is the C-50, which is closer to the Intel Atom. See Brazos comes to Acer's Aspire One 522 netbook.

The two sites I link to above have reviews of other laptops, look under their "mobile" reviews.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Yeah. The AMD fusion notbooks (nickname for them) are very cool. Decent integrated graphics via the APU, great battery life. Smokes a standard Atom netbook, and great pricing.

The DM1Z is a pretty popular unit. There's an IBM model also but it's a little pricier for pretty much the same specs.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Benham, the eDGe forums (MobileRead and enTourage) are here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/forum.php

Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It really depends on your major and how much power you need. Engineering majors will find netbooks totally inadequate for their needs. Meanwhile, a $250 netbook will be more than adequate for history majors.

My son switched from a laptop to a netbook (standard specs) for his last two years and loved it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

One option can be the Asus ASUS Eee PC T101MT (review in http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/a...t101mt-review/).

10.1 inch, touch, inking (pen included), screen rotates and can be used as a slate (great for reading eBooks or magazines)… I’m writing this post in one!

Note: It looks that they are selling it in the US (at least in some places) with windows 7 starter and 1 gig of ram. If so, my advice is to get one more gig and upgrade to (at least) windows home premium (that’s the configuration we have in Europe).

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Thanks! I bookmarked the forum to check out.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for a couple posts.

Jeff
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by craztsom View Post
Going to university soon and I don't plan to use my old desktop while I'm there.
I want a netbook that's pretty light, steady and has a good quality battery that won't die on me after a year.
I'm guessing here ... you will use the netbook for some kind of reading activity?

I like Asus eeepc. Good quality, not too expensive and really light. But I remove the ugly Windows and usually install Lubuntu :-) ... uses about 200MB for running the operating system and couple of extra tasks; you will re-gain ~800MB (if you have 1GB of RAM) for other activities. Calibre runs on Linux too.

Asus eeepc ... at least for me ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Note: It looks that they are selling it in the US (at least in some places) with windows 7 starter and 1 gig of ram. If so, my advice is to get one more gig and upgrade to (at least) windows home premium (that’s the configuration we have in Europe).

Best regards,
Wacala ... lol ....

Get rid of that ugly Window$ operating system and install Lubuntu. It's free, more secure and better. My wife is not a computer expert and she loves it; does not want to go back to Windows. Viruses are now part of the past for her.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Wacala ... lol ....

Get rid of that ugly Window$ operating system and install Lubuntu. It's free, more secure and better. My wife is not a computer expert and she loves it; does not want to go back to Windows. Viruses are now part of the past for her.

Does it run faster? I have Vista and my computer runs very slow most of the time. Right now, it's running fast but there are times where even using the internet is a drag. The pages load slow or become unresponsive and we have high speed internet.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote