Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #151
Billybagobagels
Billybagobagels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE won't work with Mobipocket eBooks. The only way Mobipocket eBooks will work is to strip the DRM and convert to LRF or ePub and then put on the Reader.
Yes. I just wanted to make sure that my library card worked online before I returned to Alberta.
Billybagobagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #152
Billybagobagels
Billybagobagels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMom View Post
On their website, they state that patrons must be a resident of NY. This sounds like they're still offering out-of-state cards as long as you go in person to the library to register (like Washington DC's library does). Is that correct, or did someone just make a mistake with you and you got lucky?
They still offer out-of-state cards. In fact, they have an "International Patron" category, to which my information was added when I registered. I watched the computer screen at the counter as the clerk entered the information. $100 US will get you a card that is valid for three years.
Billybagobagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #153
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybagobagels View Post
They still offer out-of-state cards. In fact, they have an "International Patron" category, to which my information was added when I registered. I watched the computer screen at the counter as the clerk entered the information. $100 US will get you a card that is valid for three years.
Hmm, interesting. Another member posted last month an e-mail from the library that the out of state program was discontinued.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #154
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Hmm, interesting. Another member posted last month an e-mail from the library that the out of state program was discontinued.
I find this interesting as well. According to NYPL's website you now have to be a resident of NY in order to qualify for a card:

"When applying for a New York Public Library card in person, or providing proof of their identity to validate a card received in the mail, an applicant must show proof that he/she lives, works, attends school, or pays property taxes in New York State."

This is substantially different than what it used to say, with no mention whatsoever of any non-resident cards being available.

I have a non-resident card--paid my $100 almost a year ago. So it'll be interesting to see what happens, right now I'm just assuming that my card will quit working when I hit my one year anniversary.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #155
ValH
ValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS-650
Great info on this site. I was so interested to hear about the library loaning Ebooks. My question is about libraries in California. The mobileread wiki site talks about the libraries in CA being open to all residents of the state but when I put in my library card number it is not working. I am in San Diego, which doesn't seem to have much available. I have a current library card from San Diego County. I was hoping to use Los Angeles or San Francisco libraries. Is there something I am doing wrong? I would love to get this to work, any help would be great
Thanks
ValH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #156
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ValH--As a California resident, you can access most (maybe all) libraries in California, but you have to have a card for that specific library. I live in Sacramento, but have cards for Sacramento, San Jose, San Francisco, etc...so I access each library's collection with a card from that library. I've made road trips to each of the libraries that I have cards at--as far as I know, they all require you to apply for their cards in person.

dordale
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #157
ValH
ValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheeseValH can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS 505, PRS-650
Dordale,
Thanks for the quick reply. That makes a lot of sense, but kind of strange there is not a clearinghouse or something that would know you are a CA. resident and not make you have different cards for different parts of the state. It's too bad that San Diego libraries is not yet involved with Ebooks. Hopefully they will get on board soon.
thanks again!!
ValH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #158
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
I just got an email from New York Public Library and they have confirmed that they no longer offer the non-resident library card.

So what is my best bet now? None of our (Idaho) libraries offer much. Please let me know what you are using and how you like the selection.
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #159
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm sorry, I can't help you yet. My D.C. public library account was closed (by them) months ago and I haven't looked for a replacement. But, in the long term, I wonder if someone has thought of starting an international lending library for ebooks or even one that operates for profit by charging a small fee for each loan/rental.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 08-09-2009 at 06:48 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #160
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm sorry, I can't help you yet. My D.C. public library account was closed (by them) months ago and I haven't looked for a replacement. But, in the long term, I wonder if someone has thought of starting an international lending library for ebooks or even one that operates for profit by charging a small fee for each loan/rental.
That is kind of what I have been wondering? Would it be feasible to set up some kind of international lending library using something like overdrive but fund it with people who pay $100/year?
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #161
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
My incredibly uneducated guess is that there are geographical restrictions on the distribution of even loaned or rented ebooks just as there are with their sales (like Amazon's and Sony's problems with non-US sales). That could be a real problem for someone trying to set up what would definitely be The Coolest Library On The Planet. It may even be why some libraries like the D.C. and NYPL libraries are cancelling their non-resident lending.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #162
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
I knew that NYPL cancelled their non-resident memberships, but didn't know that DC was canceling their non-resident cards, too. Have they announced this on their website?
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #163
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I've contacted several different libraries that had decent collections of e-books to ask if they offered an out-of-state card, including DC. I was told that licensing restrictions prohibit out of state library cards. I was wondering why NYPL could offer a non-resident card, and now it appears they are no longer doing so.

That's unfortunate, because they have a MUCH larger collection than my local library system will ever have. Furthermore, most of the ebooks available locally are PDF, although they just started adding EPUB (376 titles available the last time I looked).

I only have a few months remaining on my NYPL card, so it appears I need to focus on reading library books those few months rather than the books I've purchased.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #164
baymktg
baymktg began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I have only been enjoying my NYPL card since May. I hope they won't cancel the card before the expiration date of May, 2010 ??? Someone, please tell me, is this happening? Are cards being cancelled prior to their expiration or are cards simply not being renewed? This card has been wonderful since I'm an ex-pat living in Costa Rica.
baymktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #165
dordale
Wizard

I'm pretty sure your card will just expire on your one year anniversary and you won't be able to renew. I've had my NYPL card for almost a year now and it's still working. I'm expecting it to stop working any day now though--because I've hit my one year anniversary.

dordale