Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion)

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 AM   #481
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
X-link to the DRM-free thread for a new StoryBundle:

The Military SF Megabundle curated by Kevin J. Anderson contains backlist and newer works from his own WordFire Press and others, including 4 books from the current Baen catalogue. Most of the authors will be familiar to modern milSF aficionados, and there are also some old school “classics” of the subgenre, such as the late Robert Asprin's humorous Phule's Company series, and a long out of print title by Jody Lynn Nye from the sadly imploded Meisha Merlin imprint.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #482
cc_in_oh
Connoisseur
cc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Jim Butcher's Storm Front, book 1 of The Dresden Files is $2.99 at Amazon US.

Going price for Dresden seems to be $9.99. I've known about the series for a while and even read some of Butcher's Codex Alera so I will finally give Harry a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-D...ds=storm+front
I'm on book 5 of the series now - so far they've been immediately available to borrow from several of my libraries. They're OK but FWIW I'm not impressed enough with them to have any desire to own even at $3...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #483
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $2.99 from Orbit's Redhook imprint, possibly for today only (May 18th; sometimes Orbit does 1-day flash sales and this may or may not be one of them) in Canada & the US (non-couponable; prices should be the same in all the usual stores):

The Tourist by British author Robert Dickinson (ISFDB), a standalone time-travel thriller novel, apparently written in a somewhat literary style (one of the review quotes from the newsletter mentions “literary prose”, YMMV), which looks interesting.

Apparently whoever does the marketing blurbs decided incorporate some of the reviews as an integral part of the product description, which I'm leaving in, since the actual text doesn't really tell you much. ETA: some of the Amazon customer reviews tell you possibly more than you want to know going in, given that this is marketed as one of those enigmatic mysteries of what's really going on sorts of tales, and might spoil the intended twists.

"A rare treat: a time travel tale that brings something new to the subgenre....A wry social commentary and an uneasy tale of escalating paranoia." Guardian

THE FUTURE IS ALREADY WRITTEN.

"As fresh and compelling as it is high concept....Immensely enjoyable." SFX****

THE FUTURE HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.

"Welcome to the 21st Century. Please don't feed the natives....Echoes of Bradbury and Orwell, in the service of a crackerjack conspiracy plot; a seductively intriguing work of speculative fiction." Kirkus

TIME TRAVEL IS CONFUSING.

"Leaps of time, identity, and chronology create a dark, chillingly claustrophobic atmosphere." Publishers Weekly

PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

WHO WILL SOLVE THE PUZZLE OF THE TOURIST?

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-18-2017 at 03:05 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #484
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I'm on book 5 of the series now - so far they've been immediately available to borrow from several of my libraries. They're OK but FWIW I'm not impressed enough with them to have any desire to own even at $3...
I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I read the first of the Harry Dresden books, and found it only so-so. I gave it to a teenaged nephew, who might be a far better target audience.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #485
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way. I read the first of the Harry Dresden books, and found it only so-so. I gave it to a teenaged nephew, who might be a far better target audience.
I think the first Dresden book suffers a bit from the author being young when he wrote it.

It takes a bit, but as the books more along I found that as Dresden becomes a whole lot more complex a character, and the universe he lives in has more depth, I think it becomes a lot more interesting.

Looking back, the first stories make the troubles and dangers he faced then seem like child's play. But I think that keeping it simple at first was a good idea. Otherwise, we couldn't have handled the info dump we'd have needed to jump right into the deep end.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #486
cc_in_oh
Connoisseur
cc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy bluecc_in_oh can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Rose View Post
I think the first Dresden book suffers a bit from the author being young when he wrote it.

It takes a bit, but as the books more along I found that as Dresden becomes a whole lot more complex a character, and the universe he lives in has more depth, I think it becomes a lot more interesting.

Looking back, the first stories make the troubles and dangers he faced then seem like child's play. But I think that keeping it simple at first was a good idea. Otherwise, we couldn't have handled the info dump we'd have needed to jump right into the deep end.
That's encouraging - I plan to finish the series, but no chance I will ever re-read so no reason to buy as long as I can borrow them with no wait time.

I've also recorded the TV half-season to watch sometime - Hulu I think but maybe not still there.

Before this the last SF series I read was Expanse, which I thought was better written and far more original.

Fans of SYFY's The Magicians also recommend those books, so that may be my next project...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #487
maddz
Addict
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Various in the first in series sale on Amazon.co.uk:

Charles Stross: The Atrocity Archives (THe Laundry Files 1) at £1.49
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Atrocity-Ar...5175074&sr=1-9

Steven Erikson Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen 1) at £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardens-Moo...5175074&sr=1-4

Hugh Howey Wool (Wool Trilogy 1) at £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wool-Trilog...175165&sr=1-14

Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter The Long Earth £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-Earth-...175259&sr=1-33

Bernard Cornwell Harlequin (The Grail Quest 1) at £1.49
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harlequin-G...175165&sr=1-16 (cross-posted to the Historical thread)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #488
Ashartus
Ashartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeAshartus possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo Aura
The Atrocity Archives is also on sale in Canada on Kobo at $1.99
https://www.kobo.com/ca/en/ebook/the...ity-archives-1
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #489
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Bargain @ $2.99 from Orbit's Redhook imprint, possibly for today only (May 18th; sometimes Orbit does 1-day flash sales and this may or may not be one of them) in Canada & the US (non-couponable; prices should be the same in all the usual stores):
[/I]
This sounds interesting. I've downloaded a Kindle sample so if it's good, hopefully they'll do a price drop there.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #490
Avice
Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Kobo Glo
"The Song Rising" by Samantha Shannon, book #3 in The Bone Season series, is today's US Kindle Daily Deal for $1.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GOOZXUM/
Avice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #491
Avice
Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Avice has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Jim Butcher's Storm Front, book 1 of The Dresden Files is $2.99 at Amazon US.

Going price for Dresden seems to be $9.99. I've known about the series for a while and even read some of Butcher's Codex Alera so I will finally give Harry a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-D...ds=storm+front
For $3.99 more you can also get the Audible narration of "Storm Front," which is read by actor James Marsters (played Spike on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," among other things). He's enjoyable to listen to on the Harrry Dresden audiobooks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002CSL0BQ/
Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #492
Amy_k
Zealot
Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amy_k ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Nexus 7
Today only, Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley is $2.99

Kobo

Kindle

Quote:
In this spirited sequel to the acclaimed The Rook, Myfanwy Thomas returns to clinch an alliance between deadly rivals and avert epic -- and slimy -- supernatural war.

When secret organizations are forced to merge after years of enmity and bloodshed, only one person has the fearsome powers---and the bureaucratic finesse---to get the job done. Facing her greatest challenge yet, Rook Myfanwy Thomas must broker a deal between two bitter adversaries:

The Checquy---the centuries-old covert British organization that protects society from supernatural threats, and...

The Grafters---a centuries-old supernatural threat.

But as bizarre attacks sweep London, threatening to sabotage negotiations, old hatreds flare. Surrounded by spies, only the Rook and two women who absolutely hate each other, can seek out the culprits before they trigger a devastating otherworldly war.

Stiletto is a novel of preternatural diplomacy, paranoia, and snide remarks, from an author who "adroitly straddles the thin line between fantasy, thriller, and spoof " (Booklist).

Last edited by Amy_k; 05-21-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Amy_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #493
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Sunshine by Robin McKinley is currently $1.99 in the US

https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Robi.../dp/B00OGWASCI
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/sunshine-23
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #494
Avice

Several good fantasy & scifi titles in today's U.S. Kindle Daily Deal, some being pricematched on Kobo. Some titles of note:

Uprooted by Naomi Novik (2015 Nebula Award winner for Best Novel) - $2.99 / Kobo
The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Catherynne Valente - $1.99 / Kobo
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - $2.99 / Kobo
Armada by Ernest Cline - $2.99 / Kobo
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (young adult heist fantasy) - $2.99 / Kobo
Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM   #495
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Uprooted by Naomi Novik is currently on sale
$2.99 in the US (published by Del Rey) but a different edition is on sale in Germany (Macmillan) so check your local stores and different editions if available to you.

This won a bunch of awards in 2016, Nebula Award for Best Novel
Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel, British Fantasy Society Award for Best Novel as well as being nominated for the Hugo and World Fantasy Award

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/uprooted-9
https://www.amazon.com/Uprooted-Naom...dp/B00KUQIU7O/
https://www.amazon.de/Uprooted-Engli.../dp/B00SN93700

“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote