Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbino View Post
Question for those of you that have read Moorcock's stuff. I know that all of his series are tied together somehow, but can each individual series stand alone? I've wanted to check out the Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum books, but I'm not really interested in some of the others.
I would leave reading the final two Hawkmoon books (The Champion of Garathorm, The Quest for Tanelorn) until you have read some books from each of the other series. Apart from that I don't think it matters too much where you start.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #17
SaranderBrander
SaranderBrander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, the cheap one
All of a sudden, a rare, totally underrated, and mis-marketed 'young adult' series by Christopher Pike springs to mind. "The Last Vampire" It's the kind of series smart people don't want to be seen holding because it appears even more juvenile than Twilight at first. But really it fits exactly what the OP described they're looking for, a character that undergoes a lot of interesting changes through the ages. These books are awash with Eastern mysticism, and are far more "Krishna" than Vampire. Way more substance than Twilight, and a good light read for adults too.

Also I'm remembering Piers Anthony's "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series, is an oldie but goodie about how people take on many different roles throughout life.
SaranderBrander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #18
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbeald View Post
Hey guys so I'm looking for books with main character similar to for example Dracula : But he doesnt have to be Dracula or vampire at that I just want some main character that is really interesting for example lives for thousands of years or something like that.

Any recs ?
PS: I didn't really read many books but I have read books by Roger Zelazny already.
I really enjoyed Mike Resnick's Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future. Although the (possibly immortal) title character doesn't make an appearance until near the end, his legend grows with every chapter, and he BECOMES interesting in the chase. Also, there are a whole lot of other interesting characters along the way.

Your profile doesn't say where you live--here in the US, we have a wonderful folklore of larger-than-life characters who were never deities like those of ancient religions in long-lived cultures (like the Greeks, Romans, Norse, Japanese, etc.). Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, etc. These are the inspirations for Santiago.

EDIT:

PROLOGUE

They say his father was a comet and his mother a cosmic wind, that he juggles planets as if they were feathers and wrestles black holes just to work up an appetite. They say he never sleeps, and that his eyes burn brighter than a nova, and that his shout can level mountains.

They call him Santiago.

Far out on the Galactic Rim, at the very edge of the Outer Frontier, there is a world called Silverblue. It is a water world, with just a handful of islands dotting the placid ocean that covers its surface. If you stand on the very largest island and look into the night sky, you can see almost all of the Milky Way, a huge twinkling river of stars that seems to flow through half the universe.

And if you stand on the western shore of the island during the daytime, with your back to the water, you will see a grass-covered knoll. Atop the knoll are seventeen white crosses, each bearing the name of a good man or woman who thought to colonize this gentle world.

And beneath each name is the same legend, repeated seventeen times:

Killed by Santiago.

Last edited by curtw; 04-09-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: After reading what I wrote, I just had to pick it up again. Added the prologue
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #19
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
You could try Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St Germain Cycle, although the later installments can be a bit formulaic. However, they tend to be expensive even as ebooks, but do occasionally drop in price. They are very well researched vampire novels covering at least 2500 years of history.

It's difficult to say whether St Germain changes much - the first published, Hotel Transylvania and The Palace are set in Ancien Regime France and Renaissance Florence respectively, and St Germain's origins are in prehistoric Romania. The earliest setting used is Ancient Egypt, and the entire series so far features Imperial Rome or later. The Ancient Egypt setting (Out of the House of Life) is actually a braided story with St Germain telling his 'child' (Madeleine Montalia from Hotel Transylvania) about his experiences there while she is excavating the site in the early days of Egyptian archaeology.

Last edited by maddz; 04-16-2017 at 05:31 AM.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote