Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

I certainly wouldn't base a comparison solely on a photo, but I will say in that photo the two black Kindles both look to have a truer black tint to text and images than the silver Kindle. The silver Kindle almost looks like it has a slight brown tint. However, it is a photo and weird tints can happen in photos. If they look like that in real life, then the black models have better screens IMO due to truer blacks and deeper blacks.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #32
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Blossom, I'm delighted that you consider the text of your new unit to be blacker than previous eInk models. That's very important to me, and why I have always liked the reflective TFT screen of the jetBook line the best.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Here you guys go.

As you can tell there is a huge difference in contrast between the two. The grey background is really hard to catch on camera. I'm still trying to though. You can tell from this pic how cleaner the screen looks on the K4B.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02623.JPG
Views:	1346
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	92311  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Exactly, but I don't have a working camera so I used my phone. There is a big bay window on the right side too. This pic was made as an answer to Zeebra, not to prove my point since I really believe that the grey K4 Displays did vary quite a lot from one device to another.
Hey I just wanted to see it not make any judgments based on the picture. Thanks Blossom!!
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #35
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Here you guys go.

As you can tell there is a huge difference in contrast between the two. The grey background is really hard to catch on camera. I'm still trying to though. You can tell from this pic how cleaner the screen looks on the K4B.
The blacks look way blacker on the new device from that picture.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Here you guys go.
Sadly, I can only see a very slight difference. Perceived image color and contrast is highly dependent on CRT or LCD settings, ambient lighting, and viewing angle for LCDs. And JPEG adds compression artifacts that affect the edges of the letters (which is what we are analyzing here). Be sure to set your camera image "quality" to maximum, for less compression artifacts causing "fuzz" around the letter edges.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Sadly, I can only see a very slight difference. Perceived image color and contrast is highly dependent on CRT or LCD settings, ambient lighting, and viewing angle for LCDs. And JPEG adds compression artifacts that affect the edges of the letters (which is what we are analyzing here).
This is why I only posted the pic that perceives to what my eyes see when I look at it. I took several but this how it looks to my naked eye with the exception the K4S has a grey background and K4B looks off white (creme). I can't seem to catch that on camera.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
The blacks look way blacker on the new device from that picture.
Not only blacker but cleaner and crisper too. The K4S has that jagged issue that is really noticeable in bright lighting. The K4B doesn't seem to suffer from it. I am thrill! There nothing worse than a font that looks like anti alias has been turned off.

Last edited by Blossom; 09-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is why I only posted the pic that perceives to what my eyes see when I look at it. I took several but this how it looks to my naked eye with the exception the K4S has a grey background and K4B looks off white (creme). I can't seem to catch that on camera.
Except what you see may not be what I see, because we have different computer monitors, adjusted differently, in different ambient lighting conditions, and perhaps viewed from different angles. Some LCD panels are very bad at color quality when viewed from different angles (even the difference from the top to the bottom of the screen).

And things that look good on a CRT can look horrible on an LCD. And there are gamma differences between Apple PCs and Windows PCs. It made web page development "interesting" back in the day, trying to make web pages with images that looked good in all conditions.

Unless we can duplicate your viewing conditions, we will have to take your word for it. You may very well see much more perceived contrast difference (even on your photos) than I am seeing when viewing your photos on my computer display (in a darkened room).

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Except what you see may not be what I see, because we have different computer monitors, adjusted differently, in different ambient lighting conditions, and perhaps viewed from different angles. Some LCD panels are very bad at color quality when viewed from different angles (even the difference from the top to the bottom of the screen).

And things that look good on a CRT can look horrible on an LCD. And there are gamma differences between Apple PCs and Windows PCs. It made web page development "interesting" back in the day, trying to make web pages with images that looked good in all conditions.
Very True. LCD color does vary so that is correct others may not being able to see the same thing but that's not something I can fix.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #41
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:

But since they're both in the same picture together - wouldn't they both be affected by the changes similarly, so the differences would remain?

Anyway - I definitely see a contrast difference in those pics Blossom. If that's what you're seeing under different conditions and positions, then I'll have to check one out in person!!!!!!
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #42
geekmaster

Quote:
Not only blacker but cleaner and crisper too. The K4S has that jagged issue that is really noticeable in bright lighting. The K4B doesn't seem to suffer from it. I am thrill! There nothing worse than a font that looks like anti alias has been turned off.
I am very happy for you.

We can only hope that later shipments do not contain screens with the same variable quality issues as older K4/K5 models.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
But since they're both in the same picture together - wouldn't they both be affected by the changes similarly, so the differences would remain?

Anyway - I definitely see a contrast difference in those pics Blossom. If that's what you're seeing under different conditions and positions, then I'll have to check one out in person!!!!!!
Well the K4S background on mine looks grey but due to how cameras work it's really hard to capture that. The K4B background looks alot lighter and cleaner more like the background on my K3.

By cleaner I mean where the text is there is no fuzzy dingy look behind the text like on the K4S. This has always bothered me.

Quote:
I am very happy for you.

We can only hope that later shipments do not contain screens with the same variable quality issues as older K4/K5 models.
Thank you! I've feel Amazon has redeem themselves in my eyes. I do know eInk varies but After 3 K4S units I was ready to give up on a non lighted Kindle. I'm so happy I traded my K3 for this! It has better contrast than my K3.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Congratulations, I was just as happy when I got my K4S even though it was just ten days ago and I wish I had waited a few days more for the new model.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Congratulations, I was just as happy when I got my K4S even though it was just ten days ago and I wish I had waited a few days more for the new model.
Did you return it after all or decide to keep it? I love the black. It's prettier, feel more nice in my hands and on my unit the contrast is very good.

I would exchange it for the newer one. Seeing you are still in your 30 day window you should have no problems getting upgraded and $10 back on it.