Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #106
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Brent Weeks is writing one. The first novel _The Black Prism_ is terrific, I don't know if the second has been published yet.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #107
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Interesting post on Neil Gaiman's Journal:

George R.R. Martin is not your bitch.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #108
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Interesting post on Neil Gaiman's Journal:

I have to say didn't find it all that surprising that another author would adopt that stance. I think Gaiman is right, but I also think he's wrong.

If you decide to blog about your books, then you have an obligation to keep your fans up to date. Not a legal one, but a moral one. Also, what is the blog for? If you find you no longer want to keep your fans abreast of developments, either say so or discontinue the blog. Failing to do either is both annoying and dishonest.

"You're complaining about George doing other things than writing the books you want to read as if your buying the first book in the series was a contract with him: that you would pay over your ten dollars, and George for his part would spend every waking hour until the series was done, writing the rest of the books for you.

No such contract existed. You were paying your ten dollars for the book you were reading, and I assume that you enjoyed it because you want to know what happens next.
"

Of course a contract exists between author and reader. Again not a legal one, but a moral one. If you start writing a series and announce that it will feature x volumes, you have created for yourself a moral obligation towards your readers. Presumably you hope that people will like your books and if they do they will engage with the story and spend time not just reading, but thinking, speculating and dreaming, all of which strengthens the reader's emotional investment in the story. Many will do far more than that, as the number of extensive wikis dedicated to series and books prove.

You say you will deliver something and on the strength of that promise, lots of people make an investment of money, time, thought and emotion. If you don't consider that to be a moral contract, then you should never, ever begin writing a series. You should also state so clearly beforehand, so that I can avoid buying your books until your series is well and truly done.

I do agree, obviously, that no-one should or can be expected to spend every waking hour writing. Writer's blocks also occur and can last for ages. That's where your blog comes in though - if you have one, and Martin does, then you bloody well ought to keep your readers abreast of things at semi-regular intervals. Even if "things" amount to not a word having been written lately.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #109
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That's been somewhat of a meme on fantasy boards since Gaiman wrote it three years ago: "X ain't your bitch" or "what about Y, is he my bitch?"

As far as the content goes ... I agree with pretty much everything Belfaborac said.

And with a little better PR, the whole Martin "detractor" movement could have been limited to the fringe fanatics that you never would have been able to appease anyway. All of it still works in Martin's favor, regardless.

I blame the inherent "Series/Franchise First and Foremost" mentality of the SFF genre, myself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #110
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
So it is that time of year, Game Of Thrones is back on tv. My entire house is threatening to lock me out of the room if I do not stop hinting at spoilers hehehe.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #111
fancybee
fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I loved Game of thrones!Have all of them!
fancybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #112
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
A friend of mine described Game of Thrones as 'fantasy for people who don't usually read fantasy'. I do read a little fantasy, and I kind of understand where she's coming from. It's really not that heavy on its fantasy elements.
IA, but it makes it a little easier to read I think. But coupled with fact that I'm stuck on book 4 now (snooze-fest), I voted 'it's OK'.

It took me forever to get through the beginning of book 2, but IA that it picked up very quickly afterwards, and book 3 was a breeze.

On the HBO show, as Ben Wyatt on Parks and Rec said:
Quote:
Ben: They would never cancel Game of Thrones. It’s a crossover hit! They’re telling human stories in a fantasy world.
Season 1 was amazing, and it made me pick up the books. But season 2 was rubbish; too much sex for no purpose, like it was just trying to be raunchy.

There was this scene I remember of two girls going at it in the background while Petyr Baelish was talking about... something to... someone. It was a long monologue, and I'm a straight female but I couldn't concentrate on that scene. I had to rewind it and listen without seeing any visuals to understand what was going on.

I still don't really remember what was going on.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #113
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I have been loving the series so far and plan to reread it before the next book in the series is published. I'm desperately trying to find another series that will hook me in as much as A Song of Ice and Fire, but I haven't had any luck.
I absolutely love Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy and the following series. Different style of storytelling, but I just adore it.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #114
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
I absolutely love Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy and the following series. Different style of storytelling, but I just adore it.
Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to my TBR list!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #115
Elysium
Nameless Being

The fifth book was released sixteen years after the first book was released, and six years after the fourth book was released. Despite the amount of time the series has been 'in production' for, it seems as though the following is only getting stronger (thanks, HBO!).

That being said, epic fantasy is well-known for lifetime-long waits -- The Wheel Of Time, for instance, required two authors because the first author actually died before it was completed. The sorts of people who usually get into epic fantasy are the sorts of people who are used to waiting for books. (It's been eleven years, Isobelle Carmody, please finish Legendsong...).

If you're willing to accept the fact that you'll be waiting a very long time for The Winds Of Winter, and that if George R.R. Martin passes on before A Dream Of Spring you'll have to watch the HBO show to see how he intended the saga to end ... Then in my personal opinion, it's very worth it. I've been re-reading it every year for the past several.