Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
DWnMentor
DWnMentor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Keyboard
Kindle Keyboard 3g/wifi demo unit

Don't know if this is the right part of the forum or not for this question.
I was recently given free of charge a kindle keyboard 3g/wi-fi demo unit.
It was being thrown away.
My question is there anyway to wipe the demo and put the regular os or and alternative os on this unit so that I can use it?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

DW
DWnMentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Menu > Settings > Menu > Reset to Factory Settings

to get back to a clean install of the regular OS, that is.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
DWnMentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Menu > Settings > Menu > Reset to Factory Settings

to get back to a clean install of the regular OS, that is.
Wish it were that easy. Settings is grayed out, so I suspect that I will need a hard reset not a soft one.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
you can use kite to run a command like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw
/usr/sbin/factory_reset
mntroot ro
may work
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
DWnMentor

OK I am a total noob when it comes to Linux and it's variations. The unit I was given has a demo program that seems to be written in the root or perhaps on the persistent flash drive of the unit. Is there a key hold sequence other than the one that causes it to go to factory_reset? This does not help me out all it does is reload the demo program. I would love to be able to use this unit even if I have to replace the OS. So any assistance would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

DW
Old 03-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWnMentor View Post
OK I am a total noob when it comes to Linux and it's variations.
If update and reset items in the settings menu are grayed out only things you can do is to use such sh file either with kite or data.tar.gz (see developer forum)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
geocron
geocron began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle keyboard
Question another noob.

i would like to hear from DWnMentor on what he found out. any info would be awesome.
unfortunately i came across a few demo units with broken screens (and other unknow problems)..
and i purchased them thinking i would be able to repair them. not a very rash decision. since i never had or used or repaired a kindle.
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/smack.gif
so now im looking every were online to see if i have hope. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/2thumbsup.gif

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
geocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
geocron
geocron began at the beginning.

Device: amazon kindle keyboard
please ignore the smilies urls.. i honestly don't know what im doing forgive my stupidity.
geocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645. Use that method to "debrick" your kindle. Just put this kind of stuff on the developer sub-fourm
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocron View Post
i would like to hear from DWnMentor on what he found out. any info would be awesome.
unfortunately i came across a few demo units with broken screens (and other unknow problems)..
and i purchased them thinking i would be able to repair them. not a very rash decision. since i never had or used or repaired a kindle.
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/smack.gif
so now im looking every were online to see if i have hope. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/2thumbsup.gif

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/help.gif
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by geocron View Post
please ignore the smilies urls.. i honestly don't know what im doing forgive my stupidity.
This is a bit off-topic, but it looks like you're trying to drag-and-drop the smilies into your post. Drag-and-drop doesn't work here. Simply click on the emoticon of your choice and it will appear in your post.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote