Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
any tips how to clean the screen?

i tried condensation and that made it more foggy.

i got the p.pro.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I use a product called Residual Oil Remover (ROR) to clean and extract oils the the screens and other parts of my devices I handle or touch on a regular basis. I also have microfiber cloths dedicated to that purpose. nice thing about ROR is it does not leave residue, evaporates before it has a chance to soak into the surface of the panel and a small amount goes a looooong way. costs about $6-$9/bottle depending on who I buy it from but I go through about only 1-3 bottles/yr depending on things work out that year. And no Windex is actually BAD over time and can harm any protective coatings on the screen. Nice thing about ROR is it also removes the oils from wherever you handle the device the most often which aid in reducing the chance of possible discoloring due the acidity of your skin oils.

Company Site: http://www.ror.net/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...idual_Oil.html
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
A damp microfibre cloth for cleaning camera lenses works great for me
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

the thing about simply a damp cloth is it does not remove any oils...water is lipophobic or another way of saying it oils are hydrophobic.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Is OmniCleanz any good? Would it be similar to ROR?

http://www.radtech.us/products/OmniCleanz.aspx
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned

Nice find!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Is OmniCleanz any good? Would it be similar to ROR?

http://www.radtech.us/products/OmniCleanz.aspx
Really I don't see why not. I haven't run across it before but there are lots of obscure products which are great but ya never hear of them. I love this quote about it:

Quote:
"OmniCleanz is without a doubt the best multi-purpose shiny thing cleaning solution I have ever used."
hehehehe...well since we are all obviously attracted to shiny things....you knoooow.

I like that it's non-toxic as well. I'm gonna look around for some because my ROR is almost gone. A small bottle is certainly not expensive so I think, what the heck? Of course I think it would be a good idea to do a bit of searching for people who have used it around the web...hopefully there will be some honest feedback somewhere.

THANKS!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@brecklundin I hope it gets the same raves from you as ROR. I've been using it on my laptop (so far, so good) but haven't tried it on my Reader yet.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another vote for microfibre cleaning cloths; they work extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I also find that microfibre cloths work well for both my reader and my computers. I use them dry for a quick dusting. When barely dampened the fibres do pick up grease and fingermarks.

Some members also like to use eyeglasses cleaning fluid.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I also find that microfibre cloths work well for both my reader and my computers. I use them dry for a quick dusting. When barely dampened the fibres do pick up grease and fingermarks.

Some members also like to use eyeglasses cleaning fluid.
One thing to realize, the panels are often quite porous so the oils actually soak into the panel. even glass panels will absorb oils and over time these oils can actually reach the lower layers. That is why a cleaner which is designed to grab the oils and pull them to the surface is important. And on synthetic top panels oils can change the color of the panel due to acids in some folks skin compared to that of another person. Water is not a good choice for cleaning laptop or other device panels. Water is ok for glass but even then there are coatings on the top of the glass which even tap water can harm over time. Same logic in cleaning your glasses...but no matter what cleaner you use, never allow the cleaner to dry on the surface of the panel...that only lets more soak into the panel.

Your choice of cleaner also needs to not harm any optical coatings on the surface of the panels...that is why something like Windex is not a good long term cleaner, once in a while, sure why not, but daily or whatever cleaning really calls for a more specialized cleaner geared toward LCD panels or even plastic lens eyeglasses. it is also a smart idea to use a blower of some sort to remove larger pieces of dirt from the panel. it is the unseen/noticed bit of dirt that will scratch your panel even if the cleaner is sprayed on the panel first.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
@brecklundin I hope it gets the same raves from you as ROR. I've been using it on my laptop (so far, so good) but haven't tried it on my Reader yet.
me too...I am looking forward to trying it out...I really appreciate your pointing us toward it...maybe one day we can start a cleaning solution thread so people can compare results.

And yeah, there is no substitue for microfiber cloths. Plus they have become very inexpensive compared to once upon a time. I do carry mine around in a ziploc bag though, my hope it it will keep the grit out of them as I drag them around in my various bags.

A neat tool for blowing stuff off your device is a "brand-x' inexpensive knock-off of the Giottos Rocket Blower for blowing dust off camera lenses or from inside the DSLR and it's sensor or whatever. For a reader/netbook/notebook a generic knock-off should be fine and they cost around $8-$10 but since I have a bunch of the Giottos blowers (I got a good deal when I blew a bunch of cash on new camera gear a while back) I just keep one in my bags all the time. The thing to watch for is that the blower has a special filter-like baffle where it lets air back into the bulb. This helps keep grit out of the bulb itself. but these blowers do a suprisingly nice job of move the grit and dust off the surface.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
xtine
Addict

@brecklundin If you decide to order the OmniCleanz, try to get the ones with the included cleaning cloth. Radtech makes these cloths called Optex (I think). I prefer them a lot more over regular microfiber cloths (I used to use the 3M brand) since it's made of a thinner material and seems to do a pretty good job of keeping my laptop clean

http://www.radtech.us/Products/LenSavrz.aspx

I swear I'm not working for Radtech, just a happy customer

Last edited by xtine; 01-05-2010 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
@brecklundin If you decide to order the OmniCleanz, try to get the ones with the included cleaning cloth. Radtech makes these cloths called Optex (I think). I prefer them a lot more over regular microfiber cloths (I used to use the 3M brand) since it's made of a thinner material and seems to do a pretty good job of keeping my laptop clean

http://www.radtech.us/Products/LenSavrz.aspx

I swear I'm not working for Radtech, just a happy customer
hehehe...nothing make for better advertizing than a happy customer. Thanks for the tip on their cloths. I will be sure and add a couple into the order.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 AM   #14
xtine
Addict

You can order the cleaning cloth as a set with the cleaner. Might come out cheaper that way
Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
You can order the cleaning cloth as a set with the cleaner. Might come out cheaper that way
Exactly what I did...a couple bucks either way, no big deal. Looking forward to giving their cleaner a try! I'll use it on my reading glasses as well, though I am likely moving back to contacts again since bifocals and I are not friends (even the progressive lenses) and I really am like a fish outta water when dealing with two pair of glasses. So back to contacs with one eye corrected for reading and the other for distance and both for astigmatism...I get a couple trial pairs so we'll see how it goes before I sink more cash into that mess...

I'll let ya know how the cleaners compare, though it might be difficult to really know.