Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
x3oo
Enthusiast
x3oo began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
how much ram does it really have?

hi, ive got a cybook and opened it
but there are two soldering places for ram. and one is free. the ram that is placed there is called M12L128324A-7T my question is does it really have 128mb ram? and why is pdf-rendering so slow? ive made some photos i upload them later
x3oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It has 16MB of RAM, which is tiny by modern standards (even for ebook readers). As you have seen, there is room for another 16MB of RAM. See some of the attachments at OpenInkPot: Netronix EB-100.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
x3oo
Enthusiast

what does that mean? there is this ic build in http://www.esmt.com.tw/english/main_products.asp
M12L128324A-7T

Last edited by x3oo; 03-17-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
128 Megabit, not Megabytes (Mb = Megabit, MB = MegaBytes, 1MB = 8Mb)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
x3oo
Enthusiast

i would like to add some ram to my cybook, pdf is too slow
http://www.esmt.com.tw/english/main_products.asp
M12L128324A-7T is there built-in
and one place free
which ram am i able to use? which specs do it need
M12L128324A-7TG

4Mx32

SDRAM 3.3V

143MHz

86L-TSOPII

Now

Now
some photos
http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/52...ybook?h=48d8cd

Last edited by x3oo; 03-18-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Are you shure you want to try that - it's almost impossible without the proper equipment and some experience - all the contacts have to be heated at the same time - without bricking the whole motherboard...
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Those pictures look like smd soldering points to me. I'd strongly advise against soldering anything at all on the board- first, it's a nightmare to do, since, as Pulp already stated, all the contacts have to be heated simultaneously with an IC this large. And second, even if you did install it correctly, I wouldn't be surprised if the device just didn't use the extra memory- it could have some hardcoded memory boundaries (although that would be pretty stupid). Oh, and I forgot: You'd void your warranty, and considering the relative fragility of Eink screens, that can't be a Good Thing.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oo View Post
What evidence do you have that lack of RAM is affecting the speed of PDF display? I would have thought personally that the CPU speed was far more likely to be the dominant factor.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What evidence do you have that lack of RAM is affecting the speed of PDF display? I would have thought personally that the CPU speed was far more likely to be the dominant factor.
Unless the device is configured with SWAP space and the PDF reader is paging (which I doubt), I agree that adding more memory isn't likely to help. This is because Bookeen must be using algorithms that have a small memory footprint. These probably are slower than memory hungry algorithms, but adding more memory won't change the way PDFs are processed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
PDFs render very slowly even on a high spec computer. They're a horrible format, it's no wonder that they aren't zippy on a portable device.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It has 16MB of RAM, which is tiny by modern standards (even for ebook readers). As you have seen, there is room for another 16MB of RAM.
Hasn't someone recently mentioned that the newest models have 400 MHz CPU and 32MB RAM?! I have one of these with build 834 and PDF support is awful - I tried one bigger document (approx. 2,5 MB with some illustrations) and thought the reader has frozen, but after some minutes (!) the first page was displayed... then I tried zooming...

I now convert all my documents to MOBI/PRC and stick to this format.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #12
ztimar
Enthusiast
ztimar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
RAM expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oo View Post
http://www.esmt.com.tw/english/main_products.asp
M12L128324A-7T is there built-in
and one place free
which ram am i able to use? which specs do it need
M12L128324A-7TG

4Mx32

SDRAM 3.3V

143MHz

86L-TSOPII

Now

Now
some photos
http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/52...ybook?h=48d8cd
Hi! Have you tried to expand your cybooks memory? I plan to do the same
as I get my Gen3
ztimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:05 AM   #13
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Ho, I want to say something about adding RAM, the only thing you will get is:
- A dead device (ie you will kill it by trying to change the SDRAM chip)
- A faulty device (the SDRAM parameters are strictly set for ONE type of SDRAM chip, so you will encounter a lot of bug and unwanted things)

You are not about to change a RAM card like on your PC...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #14
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
the SDRAM parameters are strictly set for ONE type of SDRAM chip
Most of what you say is true, but do you have specific information of this?

It takes a somewhat more 'experienced' geek to know of previous examples of successful hacks of dedicated devices, even with SMD's from 15 years ago (hobbyist use of SMDs is much more common in the past 5 or 10 years).

Some of the Hewlett Packard engineering calculators from the 90's were well-loved enough for inspired hardware hackers to figure out how to add memory to the ones that were somewhat crippled, even at the risk of $200 or more in today's currency.

Two things are really required:
  • The original memory involved has to have known characteristics, most likely a standard part. HP notoriously had made their HP 41 series with serial memory, with each word prefixed with bits about the nature (data/instruction/nop) of the word. Nearly all the parts were proprietary.
  • You must know how the control signals to the chip are driven. Again this can be from standard parts, including ARM, but it is a real hacker task to get this right.

If you have an EB100 (16 MB), you might try finding a file that large to see if it can be read. I'm not sure there is a 'virtual memory' arrangement on these, and that's where memory shortage would show up as a 'thrashing' slowdown. It may be that the only reason for more memory would be if that might satisfy future firmware requirements, but again, getting that information is a real hacker task.

Richard

Last edited by rireed3; 12-08-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #15
Godzil

But older devices generaly use SRAM or others things like that, where now we use SDRAM, not the same beast etc...

If on a DRAM you didn't use the correct refresh values, you will encounter big bad bugs