Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo H2O (broken), Kobo H2O Edition 2 v1 (stolen), Kobo Clara 2E
Need help setting up a Python GUI framework

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner when it comes to programming, although I did do a few things for the Kobo in the past (mostly for myself, but I have actually released my dashboard and a few other librairies I made).
However, all I know is high-level programming, and as soon as it gets technical (like reading touch events to handle touch interaction), I relied on someone else's work (mostly shermp's code on Github for the logic, and I used FBInk's magic to display images)).

I did try to make my own GUI toolkit, although I feel like I am just constantly working around the fact that I do not know a thing about how a computer works, or about how to install a proper GUI framework
And having my own toolkit (which was developped for Kobo) isn't very useful if I want to make an app for any other device at some point, I would have to learn it all over again.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction:
My goal is to be able to make an app, with say PySimpleGUI or directly with TKinter, PyGame or PyQt (with sergeyvl12 Qt port?) or anything really, just having to import it at the top my code.
I used NiLuJe's package to install Python. It obviously does not have pip (which is the only way I know to easily install any of the librairies), but therefore I am stuck : when I try to look it up on Google, it either expects me to have much more knowledge than I do, or it points me to tutorials which make an extensive use of "apt-get", "pip" or other such methods.

I have heard of cross-compiling, of people who used pre-compiled librairies. I can download such precompiled librairies, but what do I do then?

Can someone point me in the right direction?
(Yes, as I said, I am a beginner)
Thank you for your help!
Mavireck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
Mavireck
Connoisseur
Mavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a TexanMavireck might easily be mistaken for a Texan

I know some will ask why I use Python:
It is the only programming language I know, and I really like how easy it is to debug and to test.
I would also point out that I know there are a lot of things everywhere on github, but I think everyone made his own implementation of a touch driver, his own implementation of a display driver, and there is no general backend code everyone uses (except perhaps for FBInk)
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Tricky on Kobo, the only toolkit available is an old Qt5 version that handles input in a non-standard way.

(i.e., even native Qt apps won't work OOB).

Which is why so far stuff relying on Qt has been building its own Qt version and cooking up its own QPA.

----

And that's for native C++/Qt. Python adds another layer of fun to the mix, which I won't even bother going into because it's irrelevant given the native issues .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-07-2020 at 02:41 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Mavireck
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Tricky on Kobo, the only toolkit available is an old Qt5 version that handles input in a non-standard way.

(i.e., even native Qt apps won't work OOB).

Which is why so far stuff relying on Qt has been building its own Qt version and cooking up its own QPA.

----

And that's for native C++/Qt. Python adds another layer of fun to the mix, which I won't even bother going into because it's irrelevant given the native issues .

Okay I get it, and as far as I understood although PyGame used to work on older software that is no longer true and it's so complicated to build the dependencies that no one wants to do such a thing...
At least I know what I am doing is not useless
I will keep developing PSSM then, thanks for your message!