Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How can I see more than 10 collections per page?

On my Kobo Forma > My Books > Collections, I currently have 41 pages of "collections" (created in Calibre as #myshelves). Each page shows 10 collections.

How can I fit more collections in a page, say, by decreasing line space or font size?

I think I'll be adding more Collections in the future, so my problem will be worse.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
On my Kobo Forma > My Books > Collections, I currently have 41 pages of "collections" (created in Calibre as #myshelves). Each page shows 10 collections.

How can I fit more collections in a page, say, by decreasing line space or font size?

I think I'll be adding more Collections in the future, so my problem will be worse.
Why do you have so many collections? Try using search to locate books instead. Search on author, title or series is a heck of a lot faster than scrolling through the GUI.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Why do you have so many collections? Try using search to locate books instead. Search on author, title or series is a heck of a lot faster than scrolling through the GUI.
I do not know if it is possible to increase the number of lines displayed by My Collections. I use the Large Print Mode (Settings - Beta Features) which increases the font size, making each one easier to read (Clara having a smaller screen), but I still only get ten lines per page at any font size.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do you have so many collections?
I think there's 2 reasons:
1. My Kobo has 1,700 books right now.
2. I use collections like labels. A book can be in several collections. For example, one book could be in 4 collections:
basketball
math
science
economics

Another book could be in:
cultural analysis
law
politics
USA

I may be in the mood for reading on a certain topic. When I do, I check out my collections.

Quote:
Search on author, title or series is a heck of a lot faster than scrolling through the GUI.
In my dream ereader, browsing my collections will be as fast as scrolling on a webpage on a computer.

Last edited by droopy; 05-08-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I do not know if it is possible to increase the number of lines displayed by My Collections.
Even with some patch/hack?
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think there's 2 reasons:
1. My Kobo has 1,700 books right now.
2. I use collections like labels. A book can be in several collections. For example, one book could have be in 4 collections:

basketball
math
science
economics

Another book could be in
cultural analysis
law
politics
USA

I may be in the mood for reading on a certain topic. When I do, I check out my collections.

In my dream ereader, browsing my collections will be as fast as scrolling on a webpage on a computer.
Only 1700 books on the ereader? And over 400 collections? Even with your explanation, I find your use of collections more than a trifle risible. Sorry but it's an ereader not the digital equivalent of the library card catalogue.

As for your dream ereader? Given how painful browsing the web on a eInk device is, dreaming is a kind word.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I had a setup like that, I'd find it rather difficult to find something to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I had a setup like that, I'd find it rather difficult to find something to read.
A setup of lotsa collections?
Why difficult to find something to read?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Because I'd have to go into the collections to find what's there. That's why before the series feature, I would use series collections and author collections.

I want things to be easy, not complicated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because I'd have to go into the collections to find what's there. That's why before the series feature, I would use series collections and author collections.

I want things to be easy, not complicated.
How is that possible with Calibre software?
ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post
If you have the 4.20.x firmware and at least the version of calibre that was released after it, it will probably just happen. But, check that the option top update the metadata in the driver is set. At the least, you need to be updating the series info.

@droopy: I'm roughly of the opinion of the others on collections. I have had a lot more than 40 pages at some point, and just found it impractical. I'm at about 4 pages at the moment, and about 1 page worth are a result of me testing things with the collections. Between the search, the filtering in lists and the Series tab, collections have become less important. If there there was a way to filter the collections list (by name or only show those with unread books), that might change.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post
I'm not sure as to what you are asking but two possiblities.
  1. A Kobo ereader with up to date software has series and author in My Books. Author and title are pretty much automatic, series requires checking update metadata on device on the third customization tab for the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended driver and checking Set series information. Set calibre's Metadata management in the Sending books to devices in calibre's preferences. Send the books to the device, safely eject, let your Kobo import them, reconnect so the database entries for the book can be updated, safely eject and that's all folks! Please note that this is using Kobo firmware 4.20+ and a newer calibre. If you are running 3.19 firmware with calibre 2.3, it might be time to consider an update.
  2. You could create collections for every series by adding 'series" to the Collections column: box in the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended driver customization. Add 'authors' and get a collection for every author. The only question is why when you can search on author, series and title.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-07-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Gee... I dunno, browsing through 41 pages of collections? And saying you want to see more collections on a page so you can view more at a time?
Old 05-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@droopy: I'm roughly of the opinion of the others on collections. I have had a lot more than 40 pages at some point, and just found it impractical. I'm at about 4 pages at the moment, and about 1 page worth are a result of me testing things with the collections. Between the search, the filtering in lists and the Series tab, collections have become less important. If there there was a way to filter the collections list (by name or only show those with unread books), that might change.
Hi DavidFor,
What do you mean by "filtering in lists"?. How do you create a list?
You know, I'd love to create a list of, say, top 20 books I should be reading in order of priority.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Hi DavidFor,
What do you mean by "filtering in lists"?. How do you create a list?
You know, I'd love to create a list of, say, top 20 books I should be reading in order of priority.
If I am correct in what he is referring to, the lists are pre-created. Notice in My Books, when you select Books you will see a Filter: item.