Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #121
Biloute75
Biloute75 began at the beginning.

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe, European Union, the Northern Hemisphere, Earth ...
Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Because, like has been said several times in this thread already, Kobo rolls out the updates in stages. It depends on your affiliate in your affiliate file (and it used to also depend on your location, but I don’t know if it still does). You can either change your affiliate, or just be patient. The update will be offered to you eventually.
Thank you....I will be patient so.
Biloute75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #122
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My Aura was originally set to affiliate fnac and I hated that. Screen saver was a stupid fnac logo instead of the book cover. I believe affiliate Walmart behaves the same.
My husband just got a Forma from Walmart. It had a Walmart logo during startup, but uses bookcovers for the screensaver. I don't know what happens if you turn off the bookcover option. The fnac affiliate didn't even have the bookcover choice in settings?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #123
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
The fnac affiliate didn't even have the bookcover choice in settings?
Not that I can remember. It's been four years. I remember having to start a thread in this forum asking how to turn that off, as fnac showed anytime the reader fell asleep.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #124
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Ed2, Onyx Boox C67ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
My husband just got a Forma from Walmart. It had a Walmart logo during startup, but uses bookcovers for the screensaver. I don't know what happens if you turn off the bookcover option. The fnac affiliate didn't even have the bookcover choice in settings?
My H20 Ed2 is from FNAC and I have the book covers when in stanby and OFF (there is a setting in energy saving section). The FNAC logo (well, not a real logo but the words: Kobo by Fnac) is only seen at startup (a couple of seconds), so it is not a big deal.

Last edited by JIPG-reader; 12-17-2018 at 05:43 PM.
JIPG-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #125
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
My H20 Ed2 is from FNAC and I have the book covers when in stanby and OFF (three is a setting in energy saving section. The FNAC logo (well, not a real logo but the words: Kobo by Fnac) is only seen at startup (a couple of seconds), so it is not a big deal.
Mine looked like the below any time I put my Aura to sleep. As I mentioned, that was four years ago, so maybe they wised up.

Being in the US, I didn't know what fnac even was. I bought my Aura refurbished off of eBay.
Advert
Old 12-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #126
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
My Aura was originally set to affiliate fnac and I hated that. Screen saver was a stupid fnac logo instead of the book cover. I believe affiliate Walmart behaves the same.
I recently bought a Clara through Walmart. I get the Walmart logo when I boot, but the bookcover as a screensaver.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #127
nAhu
Enthusiast
nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.nAhu knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: Kobo Glo (kobo4)
Hi ZodWallop,

It is not related to the thread.
You have to change the affiliate value take a look here : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Affiliate.conf

FNAC is the only affiliate with "logo on sleeping"

Regards.
nAhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #128
JIPG-reader
Zealot
JIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beautyJIPG-reader does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
Hi ZodWallop,

It is not related to the thread.
You have to change the affiliate value take a look here : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Affiliate.conf

Regards.
But you can select showing the book covers in the menus ...

To be honest, I put this option ON the first day, so I cannot remember if there was a FNAC screensaver.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #129
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAhu View Post
Hi ZodWallop,

Believe me, I changed it. As I believe I mentioned, repeatedly...

Quote:
My Aura was originally set to affiliate fnac and I hated that...
Quote:
Mine looked like the below any time I put my Aura to sleep. As I mentioned, that was four years ago...
Quote:
...It's been four years. I remember having to start a thread in this forum asking how to turn that off, as fnac showed anytime the reader fell asleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPG-reader View Post
But you can select showing the book covers in the menus ...

To be honest, I put this option ON the first day, so I cannot remember if there was a FNAC screensaver.
What works with firmware 4.12 did not necessarily work on firmware 3.19 or whatever it was running when I got it.

Quote:
As I mentioned, that was four years ago...

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #130
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto40 View Post
FW 4.12 on Kobo Glo - when reading PDFs in landscape mode, then they have messed up page turns and position of previous and next page. Next or previous page is always positioned at bottom-left corner when zoomed in. So to read you first need to scroll up to the beginning of pace, and so each time you turn the page. I downgraded to 4.9.xxxx version which works much better for pdf-s in landscape mode and zoomed-in.
I agree, the double tap zoom is worthless and turning pages is now a chore.

Before, if I double tapped, I'd get a near perfect size to rotate the document and get a full width across the screen. Now, either with double tap or using the full width button after rotating, it fails to actually zoom, and splits the page into two useless zones neither of which have a complete line.

Also, the zoom inset window no longer matches what is actually visible on the screen, and to turn the page, I have to slide the view not to the edge of the page, but to the edge of what the inset window thinks is the page, which is about 2-3x as wide as what it should be.

The only good thing I have to say about the changes to the pdf reader is that it seems faster, which almost but not quite makes up for having to scroll 4x as much to read a zoomed document first to turn the page and then to return back to the top left of the page.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:46 AM   #131
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
snip
Sorry if this is unhelpful, but have you tried KOReader? It's such a massive improvement in PDF handling that I can't even imagine using the Nickel reader over it.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #132
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Which landscape were you using? The Kobo one, or the pdf rotation?
Kobo landscape. My books are in portrait.

I've contacted Kobo support and they confirmed they are aware of those issues and working on the fix.
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #133
please55
Connoisseur
please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.please55 did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: none
Have a Kobo Clara HD on 4.10.11655 and I honestly can't tell if I managed apply a few patches or not. Is there a way I could safely connect it via usb, nuke everything, and deploy this new patch?
please55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #134
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
Have a Kobo Clara HD on 4.10.11655 and I honestly can't tell if I managed apply a few patches or not. Is there a way I could safely connect it via usb, nuke everything, and deploy this new patch?
Well, before you deploy the new patches, you have to update your Clara to unpatched 4.12. Doing that will nuke everything anyway*

If your Clara doesn't download the update on its own, you can download the file from the first post in this thread.

Connect your Kobo to a PC, unzip the downloaded file and move KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder and the Clara will update itself.

Only after you've done that should you worry about applying any of the 4.12 patches.

*Everything OS and patch related. Your books and their read status, etc should all remain as is.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #135
JIPG-reader
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by please55 View Post
As ZodWallop has indicated , the first thing is to update to the last FW (or the one you want to install (see here a page created by geek101 with all the firmware versions:https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html).
Then I always suggest to make a backup of the "reachable" memory of you reader (the one you see when connect to a PC), just in case something goes wrong.

Then, download the kobopatch version you need for the FW selected (download from https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatch-patches/releases).
Normally, you should use the last version (up to now, it is v37) for the FW version you have.

Next step is unzip de file elsewhere in your PC, and you will have several folders (src, out and bin). In bin folder there are some executables (not need to touch anything), and in out folder you will have the koboroot.tgz at the end of the patching (to be put in .kobo folder in the ereader, and after safe disconnect from PC, it will start the patching process).

In src folder, open each file ended in .yaml with notepad++ (it works with any txt editor, but notepad++ has a viewer with the yaml structure and is easier to read) and select the patches you want.

For this, you have to change the - Enabled: no to - Enabled: yes.
For some patches, you can change some values or stick with the default ones (e.g. clock duration or My 24 lines spacing). Each patch has a short description at the beginning.

If you do not feel comfortable at the beginning, do not introduce too much patches.

Finally, run kobopatch.bat (if you use windows), and extract koboroot.tgz from the folder out.