Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Autoscroll on e-ink readers?

Do any of the e-ink readers support autoscrolling? I like to read and knit at the same time, and it's really nice not to have to take my hands off the knitting for a page turn.

Right now I'm using a Palm Zire 71 to read at night with lights out, and my Eee PC 901 w/Mobipocket Desktop reader.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
No e-ink reader supports autoscroll afaik. E-ink is actually very slow, and for best results requires an inverse "flash" as it switches pages to prevent ghosting. Also, once it has displayed a new page, it no longer needs power, whereas scrolling would need a continuous refresh.

For the very *best* autoscroll reader I have ever used, try the ice-book reader. But its expensive, even for shareware.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It is possible to make the Kindle auto page change using the feature intended for image viewing but no way to control the speed of the page changes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
That's what I figured. Thanks, folks. I'll stay with my Eee, I guess.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is possible to make the Kindle auto page change using the feature intended for image viewing but no way to control the speed of the page changes.

Dale
Yep. It's my understanding that people adjust the font size larger to get around that. The time between pages is fairly short so most people need to decrease the amount of text per page.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert