Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
First US novelist to transition from self-pub to mainstream and make a living at it

It's not Hugh Howey.

I ran across an article at the Yale University Press blog which discusses the first American novelist who was able to make a living from his books. The takeaway is that things haven't changed all that much.

For those who don't want to click through, the popular writer was James Fenimore Cooper. I find him unreadable, but I have to admit I was heavily influenced by Mark Twain's hilarious critique of his work, which can be read in its entirety here or downloaded from Gutenberg or as part of GrannyGrump's terrific Twain compendium here at MR.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You got me.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You got me.
LOL! Wasn't really trying to get anyone; just pull them in. I thought it interesting and fun that Fenimore Cooper's publishing travails were not dissimilar to those of self-published authors today. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose and all that.

And I think any writer would benefit from reading the Twain piece and that any reader would enjoy it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
ROFL!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I agree with Twain. What a slog.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
LOL! Wasn't really trying to get anyone; just pull them in. I thought it interesting and fun that Fenimore Cooper's publishing travails were not dissimilar to those of self-published authors today. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose and all that.

And I think any writer would benefit from reading the Twain piece and that any reader would enjoy it.
Self-publishing goes back to be beginning of "published" works. It is not a new phenomenon. Some of Twain's works were self-published and sold on subscription as were John James Audubon's original edition of Birds of North America.

"Chap books" began as a way for either a self-publisher or small publisher to print each chapter as a separate book using the profits from the sales of chapter 1 to pay for publishing chapter 2, and so forth. This type of publishing goes back at least to the early days of the printing press, and perhaps further.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote