Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Survey of current and upcoming 2008 e-ink devices

Are all the details about the various e-ink devices overwhelming? Do you just want a simple comparison? If so, jump right over to read The late 2008 E Ink Readers at Dear Author.

Jane provides a very nice summary of devices based on her chance to look at the devices at the recent RWA (Romance Writers of America) conference.
Quote:
When I was at RWA, I had the opportunity to see the Kindle and the new Sony Reader with booklight and the Asus EEE PC. These are all viable ebook readers that you can purchase today, along with my personal favorite, the iTouch/iPhone...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A nicely-written article, albeit with some erroneous information - the Astak bookreaders will, initially at least, be released running Linux, not Windows CE as the article states. It would perhaps be as well to point out also that the Kindle is only available in the US!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Except the upgrade (better interface for the amazon kindle : not very exciting),
I find the constructors of ebooks won't offer us lots of new technologies before some time: 2008 won't be the year that we've expected (maybe it is because there's only one constructor of eink screen, so not enough competition...)

Everybody seems to wait for Apple ? They are very new on this market, and I doubt that they bring us some new technology before a long time (don't want to be polemic but they always focused more on the user-friendly interface and publicity than real new technological progress )
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
Enola
Enola has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-650
Be very VERY interested to see what the latter part of this year brings for ebook devices. Unless the new Kindle is something unutterably awesome, I'll probably stick with the Sony. I have impulse problems when it comes to buying books, and I KNOW I'd get my credit card in serious trouble if I had the Kindle and could buy books on the fly. I have no willpower

The Astak looks interesting, though. Limited on formats right now but perhaps that will change... The touchscreen aspect has me going "WANT" even though I know its not a necessary feature - its just so darn cool.

Now I have to buy one of those new Sony covers with the booklight... the author mentioned it so many times by the end of the article I couldn't imagine going another day without it. This after I vowed not to buy another bookcover (see above about impulse buying).
Enola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A nicely-written article, albeit with some erroneous information - the Astak bookreaders will, initially at least, be released running Linux, not Windows CE as the article states. It would perhaps be as well to point out also that the Kindle is only available in the US!
The Wifi and touchscreen options are only on the Netronix WinCE models, not Linux.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
*Warning, Rant Incoming!*

Why why WHY do people think that anything ANYONE does, Apple can do better, for no other reason than "It's Apple." I'm sorry, but something like the iPhone is not a good e-reader. Short term, quick reads, maybe. But to sit down with a book? No. For a number of reasons, both the Kindle and Sony beat the iPhone for reading, but the main reason is that's ALL they do. They are designed from the ground up to do NOTHING but read books. So they do it very very well.
*Rant over!*

HEhe, sorry, but it really upsets me when I hear people say, "Oh, the iPhone is just as good, if not better than any e-reader on the market." The iPhone can read books, but that's not it's major function. It'd the difference between a scalpel and a Swiss Army Knife. Sure, both can cut, but one is designed for a specific purpose, and while the Swiss Army one may work in a pinch, a Scalpel is best for the job. Anywho, Flame away!

Last edited by Tom90deg; 08-17-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom90deg View Post
Anywho, Flame away!
No need. I find I'm using my iPhone for short periods of reading when it's all I have with me at a particular time. However for serious reading the Sony (or a real paper book in some instances) is a better choice. Now if we had an iPod touch with a bigger screen...

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
*Warning, Rant Incoming!*

Why why WHY do people think that anything ANYONE does, Apple can do better, for no other reason than "It's Apple." I'm sorry, but something like the iPhone is not a good e-reader. Short term, quick reads, maybe. But to sit down with a book? No. For a number of reasons, both the Kindle and Sony beat the iPhone for reading, but the main reason is that's ALL they do. They are designed from the ground up to do NOTHING but read books. So they do it very very well.
*Rant over!*

HEhe, sorry, but it really upsets me when I hear people say, "Oh, the iPhone is just as good, if not better than any e-reader on the market." The iPhone can read books, but that's not it's major function. It'd the difference between a scalpel and a Swiss Army Knife. Sure, both can cut, but one is designed for a specific purpose, and while the Swiss Army one may work in a pinch, a Scalpel is best for the job. Anywho, Flame away!

Have to agree on the Apple Rant. In the Kingdom of the blind.......
Apple does have good products...Yes most of their NEW products.....ie. iphone and ipod....offered nothing new technology wise...however they did offer good marketing and "coolness to the product".

I do hope they join the e-ink market. It would be good for ebook devices and reading....That said... All the ebook readers on the market now are decent but have their flaws...at least they are on the market...

hidari

ps. How well did that Apple/motorola phone sell?????

Last edited by hidari; 08-17-2008 at 10:17 PM.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Not to mention, Jobs doesn't believe in the ebook market. The dolt.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:30 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #11
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Uh, what's SOP?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #12
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Standard Operating Procedure
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #13
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Hehee, true It's a bad idea untill I say it's a good idea. Then it's the coolest thing ever.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple, does it show?
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hehee, true It's a bad idea untill I say it's a good idea. Then it's the coolest thing ever.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple, does it show?
Why did you post a blank message? I can't seem to read it on my iMac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, fan of apple to the point of creating a psychological block of all criticism !!! that's pretty extreme.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote