Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
database disk image is malformed

Hi,

I get this error message on my Kobo Glo since I sent some books from Calibre 1.48 (inside an "Error communicating with device" message box) with Kobo extended 2.2.18.

At first I thought it was one of the book being wrong.

But I send some other books to my Kobo Aura HD ... and now I also get the same message... and I can't communicate anymore with it.

I tried the Kobo utilities but without any success.

Code:
calibre, version 1.48.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 520, in _sync_booklists
  File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver", line 337, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 923, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2206, in update_device_database_collections
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2659, in check_for_bookshelf
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Has this error already been reported?
Hope it is a driver problem soon to be fixed, but I guess, as usual, that it can be my fault

Any hint to correct this? (besides a factory reset, of course )

Regards

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

... The problem seems to come from Calibre or the driver, because the device works pretty well: I can browse the library, open the collections...

But I can't change anything from Calibre !

Hope someone has a solution or a hint for this.

Regards

François

Last edited by fxp33; 08-11-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 08-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The problem is on the Kobo. Calibre is just reporting it:' I read the Kobo DB and it has errors (just in someplace that you have not hit yet)'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
fxp33
Addict

Thank you the Duck,

Nevertheless, I can't understand why it is working fine with my backup of the sqlite, and each time I send something from calibre it gets jammed again... somewhere in the bookshelves...

Weird...

François
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Thank you the Duck,

Nevertheless, I can't understand why it is working fine with my backup of the sqlite, and each time I send something from calibre it gets jammed again... somewhere in the bookshelves...

Weird...

François
There may be some sort of corruption in one of the book metadata.
A Kobo Guru may step up with more info.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
fxp33
Addict

Hi

If anybody interested, I managed to get things running again using a previous sqlite file.

As I removed the extended Touch plugin, I don't know for sure if it was or not the source of the problem.

Anyway, I presume that what got Calibre going weird was my use of the "update cached metadata".

Instead of using it, I simply re-sent the books to the sdcard, even though they already were there (but with incorrect bookshelves).

Hope it helps.

Regards

François
Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
François: None of those things should corrupt the database on the device. Other than unplugging without safely ejecting, I don't have a guaranteed method to corrupt the database. But, occasionally someone reports a problem like you saw. It could be something happening then, or it might be a problem that has been around for a while, but the current database access is hitting. In this situation, restoring a database backup is the best way to go.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #8
fxp33
Addict

Hi

Thank you, for the insight. I take your word for it

If I have time I might check the differences between the two versions (sane and corrupted) of the database to track the dysfunction... but I am no expert at all.

Regards

François
Old 09-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
kobotux
kobotux began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
sorry to dig up this thread, but I got the same error message, i think the problem occured when I first updated calibre a few days ago.
Quote:
calibre, version 2.36.0
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le dispositif

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 503, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1780, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
Problem is it delete the list of bokos in my kobo, the last one i was reading is nowhere
if i let the kobo to sleep for 2 to 3 hours.
kobotux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
kobotux: The error tells me the database on the device is corrupt. Losing book or reading status is a common sign of this. This usually happens when you power the device off and on. As you say it happens after hours of sleep, I suspect you have the device set to power off after a period of sleep.

The fix is to either restore a backup of the database, or to signout of the Kobo account on the device. This will replace the database with an empty database, restart the device and take you through the basic setup. Then all the sideloaded books will be reloaded. Unfortunately the reading status of these books will be lost, but it will solve the existing problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you have Kobo Start Menu 07 (or other older versions) installed on your device, that is another cause for database corruption.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote