Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Nella
Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Nook ST, KPW 1,3,4, Kobo Libra 2
New owner needs help with Paperwhite 1

Hi all. I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite today because my Nook is dead (RIP) and now I need some help.

1. Page refreshing at every page turns.
I read that it's a common problem and I had tried all the solutions offered. Restart, let the kindle sleep on its own, putting in a fridge for 3 minutes. The last one made me giggle like crazy, but strangely it's the only thing that somewhat works. It works only for a moment, when the temperature of the pw rises again in my hand, the flashes return!
So any idea how to stop the persistent page refresh?

2. I sideloaded 500 books to the pw. They are all there, afaik, but the indexing is very slow. Will it be a problem? Or should I delete the books, then sideload them again with only a few books at a time?

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by Nella; 11-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Plug the PW into a wall socket; indexing will go a LOT more quickly that way. Loading 500 books at a time is a bad idea, but it will finish indexing eventually, although it may take a couple of days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Nella
Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Thank you, HarryT. I'll use my phone charger as I don't have the Kindle one.
Any idea for the page refresh?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Did you take a look to make sure that the page refresh option wasn't turned on in your KindlePW? I have a KPW2, but assume it would be in the same place--in settings/reading options.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Page refresh can occur in every page, even if configured otherwise:

1) If the ambient is hot or cold excessively.
2) If it's loaded with some task, like indexing books.

Keep the wi-fi on. I noticed Kindle indexes faster then. (In the range of internet connection, of course.)
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indexing has absolutely nothing to do with WiFi being on or off; it does not involve any Internet access.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Could the indexing be heating up the PW? Maybe your heat-related issues will go away once the indexing is done.
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Nella

It seems indexing is the problem. I've deleted the 500 books, then sideloaded again only 20 books. That fixed it.

Thank you all. =)