Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Tips for using the Touch, especially firmware v1.9.16

There seem to be quite a few new Touch owners (like me) on here, just thought I would share a few ideas on how to get the most out of the current version. I hope it helps someone!

Page turns - if the first/second tap doesn't work, chances are another tap won't either. Try to go back one page then try forward again. It often works better

Menu options on the main page - these are usually slow, and not fully responsive to first tap. Eg press menu and select library leaves the menu with "library" highlighted. Press it again and the library appears, but usually opens the book at that tap position. It's better to do the second tap near top of screen where it has no impact when the screen changes.

Searching - it seems to take several seconds before the Touch is ready for the first letter of the search term. Then it becomes very responsive to subsequent presses

Loading books via USB/Windows Explorer - After copying books over and disconnecting from USB, if it gets stuck on processing for a while (4-5 minutes) at a fixed percentage, I usually switch it off then on. Then reconnect to USB and remove some of the books I loaded. I leave duplicates of the copied files in a "transferred" folder on my computer to keep track of titles, and if processing pauses at say 33%, I delete the last 70% (alphabetically) of the recently transferred books from the Kobo. Then disconnect and try reprocessing the remainder. If that works then progressively add more books. I have found some books just won't load, and haven't found epub checking utilities helpful at all in identifying or fixing them.

Size In general I avoid loading pdfs on the kobo, especially if over 6-7MB. I have found Calibre has created some as large as 60-70Mb presumably where the original pdf was an image file not text, and these don't work anyway. (personal preference)

USB When connecting to a PC, I try to use a USB connector on the computer rather than through an external hub. The connection is usually more reliable for data transfer. If you just want to recharge, a powered hub should be fine

Calibre settings for transfer I found this site useful in helping me set up Calibre transfers how I wanted:
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/getting...hare-functions
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring View Post
There seem to be quite a few new Touch owners (like me) on here, just thought I would share a few ideas on how to get the most out of the current version. I hope it helps someone!

Page turns - if the first/second tap doesn't work, chances are another tap won't either. Try to go back one page then try forward again. It often works better

Menu options on the main page - these are usually slow, and not fully responsive to first tap. Eg press menu and select library leaves the menu with "library" highlighted. Press it again and the library appears, but usually opens the book at that tap position. It's better to do the second tap near top of screen where it has no impact when the screen changes.

Searching - it seems to take several seconds before the Touch is ready for the first letter of the search term. Then it becomes very responsive to subsequent presses

Loading books via USB/Windows Explorer - After copying books over and disconnecting from USB, if it gets stuck on processing for a while (4-5 minutes) at a fixed percentage, I usually switch it off then on. Then reconnect to USB and remove some of the books I loaded. I leave duplicates of the copied files in a "transferred" folder on my computer to keep track of titles, and if processing pauses at say 33%, I delete the last 70% (alphabetically) of the recently transferred books from the Kobo. Then disconnect and try reprocessing the remainder. If that works then progressively add more books. I have found some books just won't load, and haven't found epub checking utilities helpful at all in identifying or fixing them.

Size In general I avoid loading pdfs on the kobo, especially if over 6-7MB. I have found Calibre has created some as large as 60-70Mb presumably where the original pdf was an image file not text, and these don't work anyway. (personal preference)

USB When connecting to a PC, I try to use a USB connector on the computer rather than through an external hub. The connection is usually more reliable for data transfer. If you just want to recharge, a powered hub should be fine

Calibre settings for transfer I found this site useful in helping me set up Calibre transfers how I wanted:
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/getting...hare-functions
Most of these are just bugs, and are being worked on right now.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
touring
Connoisseur

"Just bugs"
That may be so - but don't the affect the enjoyment of the person using a Touch?

I didn't suggest these for the FAQ as I sure hope they will be fixed!
Just wanted to post some workarounds I have discovered so that other new users like me wouldn't have to go through as much pain
Old 01-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring View Post
"Just bugs"
That may be so - but don't the affect the enjoyment of the person using a Touch?

I didn't suggest these for the FAQ as I sure hope they will be fixed!
Just wanted to post some workarounds I have discovered so that other new users like me wouldn't have to go through as much pain
---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your post. As always, everything posted here helps in one way or another to the reader!

Cheers,
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Hey, Touring (or anyone)....

Do you have a suggestion for what to do (or what not to do) when going through the Library to mark books as "finished?"

Invariably, after synching, my Kobo (and desktop) will show up with books being open (after I specifically closed them). So then I go through the Kobo to mark those that I know are finished as "finished."

What happens about 75% percent of the time is this: I tap on those four horizontal lines to the far right of the book's entry - and instead of getting the menu where I would then tap "finished," the book opens up...arrrgh.

Maybe I'm just not tapping "precisely" enough; I don't know.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 01-25-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: adding text
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I think the most I've gone without a tap being recognized is three pages.

This page turning problem is so annoying! You would think for an e-reading device, at least page turning should work reliably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
They may be "just bugs", but they are annoying as hell. For being "just bugs", it sure is taking a long time to fix them.

I'm new to the Touch (and disappointed by these "just bugs"), but hasn't the page turning problem been around for multiple firmware versions? I seem to recall comments like "it's was better in version a.b.c.123", or "it was worse in version w.x.y.z"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
reader12345
reader12345 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
KOBO DEC 23 update lousy

KOBO just wants to sell you new books...look at how they load your HOMEPAGE now..

Many serious flaws with new version of software that make it useless..loses bookmarks for one!

I suggest that you buy something else.
reader12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I can only repeat that I had the issue with the bad response initially with fw1.9.16, downgraded to 1.9.14 and (accidently) was upgraded to 1.9.16 again with the next sync and the problem was gone - actually almost all problems were gone.

It may well be that you buy a device with an older firmware and that the upgrade from that older firmware directly to the newest leaves some garbage behind or whatever, so some back and forth to get a clean 1.9.16 may be needed in some cases to get it right.

About "why doesn't it get fixed" - in my time reading here I have come to the conclusion, that there are not specific issues / bugs closely related to a certain firmware, but that there is a broad diversity about what individual people experience with their individual device in individual settings.

Whatever is causing this is not monocausal, if a firmware was clearly buggy, it would be bad for everyone; I had most of the issues posted here in the beginning and now have hardly any of those issues, everything that is there just works.

With the exception of problems that can and will hopefully easily be fixed like the menu-button for library-entries that should have more tapping space so one does not accidently tap the book itself and such.... (that clearly is about hitting the right spot! depending on what kind of finger you have and sitting so close to the edge the button is simply to small - it should at least extend down to the divider at the bottom)

Last edited by voom; 01-25-2012 at 10:28 AM.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
I can only repeat that I had the issue with the bad response initially with fw1.9.16, downgraded to 1.9.14 and (accidently) was upgraded to 1.9.16 again with the next sync and the problem was gone - actually almost all problems were gone.

It may well be that you buy a device with an older firmware and that the upgrade from that older firmware directly to the newest leaves some garbage behind or whatever, so some back and forth to get a clean 1.9.16 may be needed in some cases to get it right.
Which would make it buggy. Fix it.

I don't want to upgrade/downgrade, reboot, re-register, de-register, shutdown, power up, reset, stand on my head, jump on one foot, in the hopes that it may fix a bug (until it happens to retrigger).

Quote:
... About "why doesn't it get fixed" - in my time reading here I have come to the conclusion, that there are not specific issues / bugs closely related to a certain firmware, ...
Maybe not related to a specific firmware, but there are some very clear cut bugs
Quote:
...but that there is a broad diversity about what individual people experience with their individual device in individual settings. ...
You may call these "features", but it sounds buggy to me.

Quote:
... Whatever is causing this is not monocausal, if a firmware was clearly buggy, it would be bad for everyone; I had most of the issues posted here in the beginning and now have hardly any of those issues, everything that is there just works. ...
So you do have some issues, but everything "just works"?

Quote:
... With the exception of problems that can and will hopefully easily be fixed like the menu-button for library-entries ...
This is the first I've heard of the problem. And I don't have a problem with it, so why fix it.

Sorry if this seems mean spirited, but I'm frustrated with my Touch.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
voom
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of the problem. And I don't have a problem with it, so why fix it.
Thats my point, there are some things that are problems for some people and for some are not (in this case nobody would lose, if it was improved though); then there are problems that only apply to various individuals sets and settings.

I just state it as I find it "interesting", not in order to defend anyone. It does make fixing things difficult I would think, when the bugs pop up here and there for different people in different ways plus there are various individual preferences as to what is to be regarded as a bug or as a feature.

Some way they will have to figure this out and fix things, that is for sure; and while it is right now pragmatically useful to know, if some updates get screwed up and how to workaround, Kobo must find ways to deliver upgrades without screwing things up no matter what.

One thing that could help in this diversity of needs would be to make many parameters optional to the user: like touchscreen sensibility; let the user fine tune it for his/her own needs and fingers on a scale of 1 to 10 or whatever... Giving options makes more sense here, than trying to deliver a to-be good-for-all setting. Let me chose, what to see on my homepage; let me customize my menues a.s.o.

Last edited by voom; 01-25-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Thats my point, there are some things that are problems for some people and for some are not (in this case nobody would lose, if it was improved though); then there are problems that only apply to various individuals sets and settings.
And if you don't report it to Kobo, how can you expect a fix? Complaining about it here may make you feel better, but it won't let the developers know that there is a problem to be fixed.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
If Kobo would just go back to version 1.9.14, everyone would be happy.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
voom

I do hope that someone would at least follow the sticky-thread here in the forum since some of the kobo-people read and write here...

If not, it may be a good idea if someone could sum up the bugs most often reported and the features and improvement most often requested and deliver that as a "collective report and request" signed by the users of mobileread-kobo-forum...

They surely are not all too motivated to browse through piles of general complaints, but a compiled report stripped down to the basic information may well be appreciated...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
voom

Quote:
If Kobo would just go back to version 1.9.14, everyone would be happy.
Not really, I prefer 1.9.16 much over 1.9.14... I am looking forward though to implement the results of the people who have already started to make modifications that can be applied as tweaks to the personal liking... ( See Thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163997 ) I prefer options over fixed features in almost all cases...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
touring
Connoisseur

Quote:
I do hope that someone would at least follow the sticky-thread here in the forum since some of the kobo-people read and write here...
Which thread are you referring to?
Is there an official bug thread that Kobo is committing to respond to?
That would be nice