Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
How do I do e-book giveaways?

Hello everyone!
Rather dumb newbie question here, but:
I have 3 e-books recently made available on the Amazon Kindle store. I'd like to offer some giveaways, and I'm not sure what format to make these available in so that any e-book reader will read them. Do I need to make them available in several different formats, or is there one that can be universally read?

thanks so much!
Jody K
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
There's no one universal format, but .epub and .mobi (the Kindle format) cover the vast majority of readers. (I think those cover all the commercially available readers at the moment, except for no-longer-produced readers like the EBookwise that are still being sold.)

If they're available in an open format like RTF or HTML, they can easily be converted into whatever the reader wants; Calibre or other conversion software can convert them.

If you offer your ebooks through Smashwords, it will make them available in several different formats.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The only universal format would be .txt (or .html if you wanted to include formatting).
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

So when you do a giveaway, do you usually offer both formats?

HTML would be more difficult as I have image files attached. Do the mobi and epub formats include images? Or would I need to put them all together as zip file?

thanks for your help!

Last edited by jodykihara; 03-11-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Mobi and epub can both contain images if they're set up right. I would do giveaways with both formats. HTML can be offered as a zip file with the images in a separate folder.

I might even do PDF giveaways, although those aren't good for ebook reading devices. PDFs sized like paperbacks aren't too bad on them, but letter-sized PDFs are almost unreadable on tiny screens, and the way PDFs work make them bad for portable devices.

A lot of portable readers are black-and-white only, so you should take a look at your images in black and white and see if they're still clear enough. (If they're not, there's usually a way to get them touched-up so they don't look bad, even if the color details are lost.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
jodykihara
Author

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
The only universal format would be .txt
Which encoding? Which line ending?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Which encoding? Which line ending?
ASCII
Old 03-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Make your eBooks available in ePub and Mobipocket and you cover most of the world. The way to do it is to make it in ePub first. get it looking really nice and when it's done in ePub, you can use Calibre to convert it to Mobipocket and you should be good to go.

If you've used Word to write your eBooks, you'll have to save them as filtered HTML and clean up all that garbage left in by Word before converting to ePub. Sometimes it can be easier to convert to ePub and clean up the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you've used Word to write your eBooks, you'll have to save them as filtered HTML and clean up all that garbage left in by Word before converting to ePub. Sometimes it can be easier to convert to ePub and clean up the ePub.
I save as RTF and convert that to EPUB with Calibre, open that in Sigil and add any pictures that need to go in, add BR spaces (shift-Return) to section breaks, add page breaks (Ctrl-Return) to chapters, save it, then convert that to MOBI with Calibre.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
jodykihara
Author

I've already done all the cleaning in HTML (in Dreamweaver), so I'm off to download Calibre now and hopefully that can do the rest for me... thanks so much everyone!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
jodykihara
Author

Just wondering: when you do giveaways, do you generally email the files? And if so, are you concerned that they might be further shared without your permission?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
When I do giveaways on my blog, the authors generally prefer to either email a copy in the format of the reader's choice (usually epub or a version for kindle), or they "gift" a kindle version through Amazon and then offer an emailed epub, or they offer a coupon for a Smashwords download. Only one author I've worked with has ever felt uncomfortable doing the Smashwords coupon (for fear it would be shared with others).

I must admit, I like any of those ways to do giveaways because it makes it easy for me and (hopefully) the author and the winner as well.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
I did a Smashwords coupon. It makes it all so much easier. A good site for giveaways is www.librarything.com
Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #15
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I might even do PDF giveaways, although those aren't good for ebook reading devices. PDFs sized like paperbacks aren't too bad on them, but letter-sized PDFs are almost unreadable on tiny screens, and the way PDFs work make them bad for portable devices.
My experience (after two years of offering free downloads in PDF, epub and mobi formats) is that PDF is still by far the most popular. Most people who come to this forum are already ebook converts, remember. Worldwide they're still in a minority.

In a typical month I would expect, say, 300-400 PDF downloads as against 60-80 mobi and 100-120 epub.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formating, giveaway