Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Just FYI I've posted all these issues to GitHub. Or at least, those I consider bugs (as opposed to feature requests).
Feature requests belong there, too.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Marvinhas a forum. I get that there are other ways that people report bugs but as Marvin grows in popularity people are going to post here.the point of the forum is for people to communicate and learn. Instructing folks to go elsewhere is counterproductive.

Seriously, enter peoples problems for them at the other site and stop directing folks there. What worked with a smaller crowd will not be as effective with a larger crowd. And frankly, it is off putting to see a problem posted and be told to go elsewhere.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I find there are sometimes various problems with the display of blockquotes in Marvin at this point. Nothing serious, but esthetic issues such as the one you posted. What happens in my Marvin, is that blockquotes sometimes have too large margins above and below them, so that it looks ugly. I suppose when I increase paragraph spacing in the book, this also disproportionately increases the top- and bottom-margins for blockquotes.
Aesthetic problems are serious problems when it comes to reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Feature requests belong there, too.
Will do. I think all of mine have already been requested, or Kris has said they're in the pipeline.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Seriously, enter peoples problems for them at the other site and stop directing folks there.
Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing with the now archived thread we had before. I definitely won't be doing that again just because someone is too lazy to do it himself.

Quote:
What worked with a smaller crowd will not be as effective with a larger crowd. And frankly, it is off putting to see a problem posted and be told to go elsewhere.
Issue trackers have been working for much larger crowds for decades now. And, really, that's what they're for - tracking bugs and feature requests. That's just not really possible in a forum.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #20
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

Quote:
Just FYI I've posted all these issues to GitHub.
That's great, but please try to make sure you're not posting duplicate issues (those already reported earlier in the list). It happens to everyone, and it's happened to me, but at least the basic effort to avoid posting duplicates should be there.

That's the nicest thing about GitHub: it has a strict policy, one issue = one thread. That way, you can easily and efficiently track individual Marvin issues / feature requests until they are resolved. Or in other words, MobileRead = chatty, friendly chaos; GitHub = order, or as Wulf (and Goethe) would say, "Ordnung!"
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I get that there are other ways that people report bugs
Not "other ways", Professor Crash. There is the superior way, preferred by Marvin's developer, which is GitHub. And then there are, indeed, all the other ways, distinctly inferior and less efficient, such as the chaotic chitchat here on MobileRead. It's great to have these forums, too, but for serious-minded bug-fixing and requests resolution, only GitHub will do.

Quote:
Instructing folks to go elsewhere is counterproductive.
It's not "elsewhere", but it's Marvin's official bug-tracker. Instructing people to post their issues there is not "counterproductive", but imperative and necessary.

Quote:
Aesthetic problems are serious problems when it comes to reading.
That entirely depends on your private definition of "serious", holymadness. To me, a "serious" issue would be, for example, a garbled passage that would not be legible at all. As someone coming from a culture obsessed with diacritic letters, let me assure you that that issue keeps rearing its ugly head in all sorts of low-quality e-readers, but of course not in Marvin (if your source files are of reasonable quality).
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
Philantrop
Addict

Off-topic flaming deleted.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Except that people, like myself, are clueless.honestly, the attitude of the folks who help Kris caused me to roll my eyes and stop looking at the original thread. I amsure my departure from this forum will not bother folks. You are going to get more folks like me in this area. They are looking to have questions answered and look at old topics to find answers.

I would be s hocked to see "call Amazon to report x" as the response in the Kindle forum. Finding the equivalent response here is a bit surprising.

I am suggesting that you think of your audience.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

And I am suggesting you acquaint yourself with the purpose of an official bug-tracker for software developers, and that its purpose cannot be imitated by a forum like MobileRead, where chaos (especially the endless rehashing of the same old, same old, same old topics all over, and over, and over again) reigns by necessity on an everyday basis.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Quote:
Except that people, like myself, are clueless.honestly, the attitude of the folks who help Kris caused me to roll my eyes and stop looking at the original thread. I amsure my departure from this forum will not bother folks. You are going to get more folks like me in this area. They are looking to have questions answered and look at old topics to find answers.

I would be s hocked to see "call Amazon to report x" as the response in the Kindle forum. Finding the equivalent response here is a bit surprising.

I am suggesting that you think of your audience.
It would bother me - please don't go. I'm more than happy to help you out here, by email, or anywhere else.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote