Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
elreymon
elreymon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch v7
Lightbulb Help to understand/ extract data from .mbp and .apnx

Good day to all:

I have an old kindle backup and I want to extract the information of some books (only a few). Specifically I want to extract the last read page of them (to resume the reading). I have 3 files per book:
1 .mobi (or *.azw)
2 .mbp
3 .apnx

¿Does anyone know a method /program to extract than informacion?

Thanks indavance and regards.
elreymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
elreymon

PS: I´m not searching for any real page number or similar. I just want to resume my own reading from the exact point where I was when the backup was created.
Advert
Old 11-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
elreymon

Well I have analyzed the .apnx https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/APNX but there, there is not information about last page read. Only a page mapping between page numbers and offset of the decompressed HTML.

Lets look at .mbp file...
Old 11-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The .mbp file encodes information about your reading including annotations and the last position read. It was used in old Kindle devices, newer ones use a different file format to store this information. There is some cryptic documentation on it here.

I an not aware of any software that can parse this file, but something very old probably exists somewhere.

If you can find where the position number is encoded in the file you can divide it by 150 to obtain the corresponding location number. You can then enter that into the "go to" menu on your kindle to return to that place in the book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
elreymon

Well as far as I have seen, nowadays it´s impossible to extract the last read position from a .mbp file. The problem is that it´s not clear where in the file it´s exactly stored, or better said: how to decode it.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mbp#MBP

As said in http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idlelo...ile_format.txt there are 4 four positions related with the last read position but not further or detailed information is given :-(

I´m sad reading that. That´s a really pity
Advert
Old 11-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
elreymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you can find where the position number is encoded in the file you can divide it by 150 to obtain the corresponding location number. You can then enter that into the "go to" menu on your kindle to return to that place in the book.
Why by 150?

If you see the file format (that you linked) there are 4 different places where it is. So there would be 4 different numbers to divide by 150.... a bit crazy.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by elreymon View Post
Why by 150?

If you see the file format (that you linked) there are 4 different places where it is. So there would be 4 different numbers to divide by 150.... a bit crazy.
Amazon defines 1 "location" as 150 bytes of HTML in the book, so location 100 would be 15,000 bytes into the book.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You may be out of luck and it may be best to just start over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apnx, mbp