Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
sacada
sacada began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Sorting, Searching Bugs & Features

Hi,

I just installed Calibre and am fascinated, great program with great possibilities. However I noticed a few things:

1. Bug: eBook viewer sorting with comics. I have several scanned ebooks (jpg files), I simply zip them then and add them to calibre (which is recognizing them as comics). However the eBook viewer displays them computer sorted, instead of a logical sort (1.jpg, 10.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg). There seems to be a setting for sorting in normal calibre "Recognize numbers inside text when sorting (numeric_collation = True)", I think this would be nice to have for eBook viewer, too (although I wonder why it's not enabled by default, are there really cases where someone wants NOT logical sort?).

2. Bug: eBook viewer aspect ratio for images in MOBI books whtn the viewer is maximized. Tested on my 16:9 TFT

3. Feature Request: It would also be great to show 2 pages on screen (e.g. when using a 16:9 TFT) while keeping the original / intended viewing size for one page.

4. Feature Request/Bug: Reworking extended search. I think the real benefit and need of Calibre is to find books quickly. Working with the search and creating complex searching (with AND and OR) is not possible right now, because as soon as a tag is clicked the search string and arguments are re-sorted and the original logic gets broken. Think this can be avoided by restructuring some GUI elements in the advanced search. Maybe even introducing "categories" besides "tags" would be sth. to consider. Personally I like the advanced search of the eFiction archive software with include/exclude. Example: http://www.potionsandsnitches.net/fa...htype=advanced

5. Feature Request: I have save several stories I downloaded as HTML (and saved as MHT, single HTML archive), as with the nature of only stories they're usually splitted into parts and right now I have to create a book in Calibre for every part (I use the series plugin, nevertheless). However I think it would be great to have an option to include several parts in one book if automerge failed (which is the case for all HTML). Currently there is not even an error message that automerge failed, the initial book is just overwritten. Calibre could show a pop-up for multi-parts books then the user double-clicks on them. This could be interesting for all formats where automerge is not possible / useful.

As said I'm new to Calibre and some things may already be possible or have been discussed already. Please let me know. However, maybe someone is looking for new ideas

Greetz
sacada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Please read the sticky before posting in Development. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122042

Moving to Main forum
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Use names like 01, 02, etc. This is the standard used in cbz files for many years. Changing it to do "human" sorting will likely break other files.

2. The viewer does not changes aspect ratio of images in any mode, unless the image is specified in a way that allows the aspect ratio to be changed, or is a cover image.

3. Look in the viewer preferences.

4. Hold down the control key while clicking.

5. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....specific-order
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacada View Post
3. Feature Request: It would also be great to show 2 pages on screen (e.g. when using a 16:9 TFT) while keeping the original / intended viewing size for one page.
There is no such thing as original or intended viewing size when it comes to ebooks read on a computer, but if you would like multiple columns then go into the viewer preferences and change the Text layout in paged mode. Page mode is enabled/disabled via the yellow scroll in the top right corner of the viewer.

Quote:
4. Feature Request/Bug: Reworking extended search. I think the real benefit and need of Calibre is to find books quickly. Working with the search and creating complex searching (with AND and OR) is not possible right now, because as soon as a tag is clicked the search string and arguments are re-sorted and the original logic gets broken.
Complex searching is something calibre excels at. In regards to your clicking tags, hold down the control key when clicking a second tag. If you want to match All or Any go down to the Alter Tag Browser option at the bottom of the tag browser and choose appropriately. Still confused simply hit the icon to the left of the search bar to bring up and Advanced search dialog.

Here is one search I have for a VL of mine.

Code:
((((not tags:"=working") and (not tags:"=Adult" and tags:"=Non-Fiction"))) and (tags:"=Biographies & Memoirs"))
Mix and match and / or as you see fit.

Quote:
5. Feature Request: I have save several stories I downloaded as HTML (and saved as MHT, single HTML archive), as with the nature of only stories they're usually splitted into parts and right now I have to create a book in Calibre for every part (I use the series plugin, nevertheless). However I think it would be great to have an option to include several parts in one book if automerge failed (which is the case for all HTML). Currently there is not even an error message that automerge failed, the initial book is just overwritten. Calibre could show a pop-up for multi-parts books then the user double-clicks on them. This could be interesting for all formats where automerge is not possible / useful.
Automerge does not merge separate books into one book. It merges different book formats (pdf, epub. mobi) of the same book into one book entry.

If you have multiple html files that should be part of a single book put them all in one directory and create a html index that points to each in order they belong and drag the index file to calibre. All of the separate files will be gathered up ito one zip file and treated as an individual book.

Quote:
As said I'm new to Calibre and some things may already be possible or have been discussed already. Please let me know. However, maybe someone is looking for new ideas
Glad to have you aboard.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
I love calibre however i find for each type of need sometimes a more specialized tool exists. I use calibre for all my ebooks; however, for comics i use comicrack. So if the above suggestions don't fulfill your needs perhaps you could try a different tool.

http://comicrack.cyolito.com/
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
sacada
sacada began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Wow thanks for the replies

Quote:
1. Use names like 01, 02, etc. This is the standard used in cbz files for many years. Changing it to do "human" sorting will likely break other files.
I mean just to change the way the files are displaying in eBook viewer. I don't think that'll break sth.. However there might be really a bug. It seems that Python is using logical sort by default (as said I don't think there are any real world examples where you don't want to have that):
Code:
list1 = ["1","10","3","22","23","4","2","200"]
# call int(x) on each element before comparing it
list1.sort(key=int)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...sort-in-python

Quote:
2. The viewer does not changes aspect ratio of images in any mode, unless the image is specified in a way that allows the aspect ratio to be changed, or is a cover image.
You're right, it just seems to be the cover image. Crossed that one out

Quote:
3. Look in the viewer preferences.
Quote:
There is no such thing as original or intended viewing size when it comes to ebooks read on a computer, but if you would like multiple columns then go into the viewer preferences and change the Text layout in paged mode. Page mode is enabled/disabled via the yellow scroll in the top right corner of the viewer.
Thank you, both. I already used that. Would only have made sense when there was sth. like a fixed display size for eBook files (I don't know hardware eBook readers/formats at all). However because this is non existent, maybe it makes sense then that the eBook viewer window remembers its last window size / window state (maximized).

Quote:
4. Hold down the control key while clicking.
Quote:
Complex searching is something calibre excels at. In regards to your clicking tags, hold down the control key when clicking a second tag. If you want to match All or Any go down to the Alter Tag Browser option at the bottom of the tag browser and choose appropriately. Still confused simply hit the icon to the left of the search bar to bring up and Advanced search dialog.
Thanks, I used Ctrl. But I meant that after each Ctrl+Click or Ctrl+Click+Click the tag is displayed at the alphabetically ordered location within search field, instead of being added at the end. This breaks the logical order of operator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical..._of_precedence (a & is more binding than an |). However, I think a lot of manual "tweaking" of searches can be avoided by displaying to (multiple) selection boxes within extended search, one is a list of tags that have to be included, one for these to be excluded.(Yes I know I'm complaining on a high level, but Calibre is so feature rich and capable that I can do that )

Quote:
Automerge does not merge separate books into one book. It merges different book formats (pdf, epub. mobi) of the same book into one book entry.

If you have multiple html files that should be part of a single book put them all in one directory and create a html index that points to each in order they belong and drag the index file to calibre. All of the separate files will be gathered up ito one zip file and treated as an individual book.
Amazing, thanks for the link. I converted all my "series". BTW: after doing that for 10 books with 5 parts each, are there any plans to have a automatic function for that? Maybe sth. like "Add book with multiple parts" after "Add empty book", "Add from ISBN", which automatically generates a table of contents (Calibre always automatically sorted them right for me). I missed that from the first start of Calibre.

Last edited by sacada; 09-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
sacada is offline   Reply With Quote