Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Are ereaders desirable (to thieves)?

Although I rarely venture out alone (usually with a friend - more fun) on the odd occasions when I do I avoid taking my ereader with me.

Years ago, I had my handbag snatched from my shoulder, although I carry it more securely now, I'm still wary.

My mobile is ancient and definitely not desirable, but just how desirable to thieves are ereaders? Do they have much of a resale value?
Might they mistake it for a mini ipad (it's in a case) and consider THAT desirable, then be terribly disappointed when they discovered the truth?

How protective are you regarding your ereaders?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Although I rarely venture out alone (usually with a friend - more fun) on the odd occasions when I do I avoid taking my ereader with me.

Years ago, I had my handbag snatched from my shoulder, although I carry it more securely now, I'm still wary.

My mobile is ancient and definitely not desirable, but just how desirable to thieves are ereaders? Do they have much of a resale value?
Might they mistake it for a mini ipad (it's in a case) and consider THAT desirable, then be terribly disappointed when they discovered the truth?

I work with criminal defendant's on a weekly basis (as opposing counsel), and my two cents would be this: If your reader is in a case that might cause it to be mistaken for a tablet, then it is at a risk for theft. The vast majority of petty crime involving the theft of small electronics are crimes of poverty where folks are looking to turn a quick buck to pay for other things. Shiny color screen = more value than eink. But I am really not sure how many bag snatchers are really scoping out targets based on what is in the bag.

Most individual item theft happens because someone thinks Starbucks is a safe place to leave all their stuff at the table while they take a bathroom break.

Having said that, I take my reader everywhere. I carry a Timbuk2 business messenger bag, and in my walks to and from the courthouse and domestic violence center, I secure the bike strap across my chest to make by bag snatch proof.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It probably depends on the thief. I don't take an ereader with me when I'm out running errands, if I get stuck waiting somewhere I can read on my iPhone. I use a cross-body purse or wristlet when I'm shopping.

E-readers certainly don't carry the attraction that a smart phone or tablet, and I'll bet a lot of them end up tossed in the trash by those who steal.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I always wonder about those handbags that have an obviously phone-size (or tablet-size) exterior pocket. It seems like those are just advertising "here's my phone" for an easy grab by a thief.

My phone and ereader are kept inside my handbag when I'm out and about. I don't frequent any high-crime areas and I don't leave my bag unattended in any public area.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thieves don't know what's in your purse, so they just take it and toss what is of no value to them. I leave my Voyage at home (unless going to relative's home to stay) and take one of my low cost ereaders with me. I'm more concerned about dropping it on concrete than theft, however.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

I think it is more snatch SOMETHING and flee, then find out what they got.

I know friends that had Hangglider stolen from their car roof or garage. Believe me (I used to fly), 1) They require serious training to fly, 2) The colors are usually custom, so the owner is known even if it is in the sky.
That did not stop the Grab (If the owner was lucky, it was just left, undamaged, at a roadside )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I had my Kobo Touch stolen a few years back. Crime of opportunity; I had put it down to get my daughter's coat on and forgot it. When I went back for it, it was gone.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Even having the bag strapped to you can be dangerous. Some thieves do not mind doing bodily harm if the owner is resisting. And having the bag attached to you is resistance. I am in the jewelry business and a few years ago the trade magazines reported on a theft in the New York City Garment District. Two thieves attempted to steal a ring off a woman's hand. When she could not get the ring off they cut off her finger to take the ring. So you have to take into account your life and health with any theft.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
With bags that strap around the body, it's fairly easy for a snatch-thief to cut the strap. They can be really quick.

In the case I mentioned in my OP, I had a large amount of money in my handbag. I'd been shopping in town with a friend. I'd also left my house in a hurry so thrown a large bottle of prescribed (controlled) meds in the bag - I just didn't have time to sort out what I needed for the day. So I suspect that I was followed home by someone from one of the shops I'd visited.

At the time I lived in a largely student area which had a high burglary rate, but not street crime. That may have changed since I left, five years ago, and moved to a quieter, leafy area.
I'd noticed someone walking behind me, but thought nothing of it till he snatched my bag and sprinted. Since then I cross the road if anyone is behind me. I'm a lot more street-wise now.

It's both reassuring and sad to know that ereaders are so little valued.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I always have an ereader with me. I always get purses that zip shut and it's always zipped up. I don't leave my purse unattended.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I am constantly amazed at women who leave their purses sitting in a grocery cart while they are 10 feet away picking out bananas. The fact that some local businesses have signs in their parking lots telling customers to not leave their purses in their unlocked cars is also surprising.

One of my favorite uses for my Apple Watch is for Apple Pay. Not having to get my wallet out for payment is a real plus. It would have been awesome when I had little kids in tow.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #12
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My husband borrowed a Kindle from me and took it on an overseas trip and it was stolen. I called Amazon and reported it stolen and I think they bricked it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
you may want to password protect your ereader. you do not want them buying books on your account in cASE it gets stolen but I do not think thieves target them. I tend to leave my expensive ereaders at home ( oasis) and try to carry only the cheaper models when I leave the house so if it gets stolen it will not be too terrible

Last edited by HLS; 02-03-2019 at 12:16 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
A. Thieves that take things from people rarely know or car what they're taking. They might know you have a cell phone but whether it's an over-priced Apple or a budget ZTE would usually be unknown. People who want everyone to know they have an expensive phone so they carry it sticking half out of their hip pocket are fools.

B. I'm old so I have a list of things to take with me when I leave home. Of course, the Kindle is on my list. It goes in my daypack. I find my Kindle essential but most thieves wouldn't. They might think it's a tablet, though. When I have to leave my daypack at a security counter in a store I remove the Kindle and slip it in my pocket. Nothing else particularly valuable is in the daypack.

C. I also have one of my personal cards between the Kindle and its case. If I lose it or if it's stolen, perhaps I'll get it back.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #15
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I work with criminal defendant's on a weekly basis (as opposing counsel), and my two cents would be this: If your reader is in a case that might cause it to be mistaken for a tablet, then it is at a risk for theft. The vast majority of petty crime involving the theft of small electronics are crimes of poverty where folks are looking to turn a quick buck to pay for other things. Shiny color screen = more value than eink. But I am really not sure how many bag snatchers are really scoping out targets based on what is in the bag.

Most individual item theft happens because someone thinks Starbucks is a safe place to leave all their stuff at the table while they take a bathroom break.

Having said that, I take my reader everywhere. I carry a Timbuk2 business messenger bag, and in my walks to and from the courthouse and domestic violence center, I secure the bike strap across my chest to make by bag snatch proof.
My other addiction other than kindles are bags. I love Timbuk 2! Which messenger bag and size do you use if you don’t mind sharing! I didn’t see the business messenger bag.
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader safety, reading in the wild