Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #46
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I don't know bout you guys but I'm with Wolf on this one! Screensaver is tttttoooottttaaaallllyyy wrong! In fack I been losin sleep over this issue! It ain't like my screen is going to aitch ee double toothpick and needs to "get saved" I'm puttin mah foot down on thus one! Fum now on no one is allowed to use the term 'screensaver' on this thread under penalty of bein a idjit!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #47
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
I don't know bout you guys but I'm with Wolf on this one! Screensaver is tttttoooottttaaaallllyyy wrong! In fack I been losin sleep over this issue! It ain't like my screen is going to aitch ee double toothpick and needs to "get saved" I'm puttin mah foot down on thus one! Fum now on no one is allowed to use the term 'screensaver' on this thread under penalty of bein a idjit!
Then I shall no longer post.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2009, 03:43 AM   #48
Dantie
Dantie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hello,
New to mobileread, I'm wondering if the Kindle DX screenslideshow can be hacked using a Mac. I'm not sure what is meant by the "root of the Kindle," and I can't seem to find any of the landmarks, hidden or otherwise, referred to in the instructions provided here.

I have the Kindle DX, I have a MacBook Pro, and I'm good and tired of seeing Oscar Wilde's churlish mug. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Dantie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #49
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantie View Post
I'm wondering if the Kindle DX screenslideshow can be hacked using a Mac.
The kind of "desktop" computer does not matter. All you need is a computer that shows the KDX as a USB drive when connected via USB.

I suggest looking at Wiki: Kindle 2 Screen Saver Hack, because Wiki: KindleDX Screen Saver Hack does not include screenshots (despite daffy4u's repeated requests for someone with a KDX to add them). The K2 page has screenshots from a Windows PC, but a Mac should be similar. The "root" is where the Audible, documents, music, and system are placed. If you can see all these directories (folders) except system, then it has been "hidden". I don't know how to un-hide directories on a Mac, but the system folder is definitely there.

Don't forget, look at the screenshots for the K2 as a guide, but follow the KDX instructions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #50
Maverick
Maverick began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We could actually call it what it really is then... Sleep Mode Indicator. Would that be more appropriate?
Would you please change your name from JSWolf to calling YOU what you REALLY ARE?

My god, you are so annoying that I registered just to tell you that you are so annoying. Amazon calls it a screensaver. If you don't like it, go annoy the people at Amazon!
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #51
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Would you please change your name from JSWolf to calling YOU what you REALLY ARE?

My god, you are so annoying that I registered just to tell you that you are so annoying. Amazon calls it a screensaver. If you don't like it, go annoy the people at Amazon!
Oh my God, this is just hilarious...I read your first line, looked at your post count and thought "you signed up just to post this" and indeed I was right when I saw you mentioned exactly that in the next line

But seriously, let's stick to the term screensaver since that's what everyone calls them now; though I personally understand why it shouldn't be called that in this age. But who cares about history now. Certain words have stayed too long in time and has taken a whole new definition now, and the entire non-IT population calls it by that, so any attempts to change it is going to be futile; you will just confuse everyone.
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #52
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
I warned Y'all about this 'screensaver' issue!!! Fum now on... Yer an idjit!

And "Mavericktroll" with one post.

Yer right we should call JSWOLF what he really is. A Prince among men! A veritable beacon of light in a dark and dreary world! A shining example of brilliant-ness. His excellence shines forth through my computer screen on these long hot summer nights and brightens my weary evenings with knowledge! etc. etc. etc.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #53
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Thanks for the screensaver hack! I tested this on my DX and it works fine. My test pictures seem to cycle randomly as expected. It was also interesting to see all the default pictures. There were several I hadn't seen before.

I'm glad this was made, because I was worried my screen would get burned out, and my DX would waste power, but now it will be saved, thanks to this screensaver! ;-)
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #54
mnvelocitypilot
mnvelocitypilot began at the beginning.

Is there a hack to allow my Kindle DX to simply continue to display the current page when it powers down (either via the time or or switch)?
mnvelocitypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #55
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast
hippocratesnoah began at the beginning.

can't remove the screen saver hack from dx

Hi,

I can't completely remove the screensaver hack from my kindle dx. The kindle DX 2.3 Update fails due to this.

The file framework.mario.conf isn't restored to it's default state. At least the md5 checksum doesn't fit.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks
hippocratesnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #56
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippocratesnoah View Post
Hi,

I can't completely remove the screensaver hack from my kindle dx. The kindle DX 2.3 Update fails due to this.

The file framework.mario.conf isn't restored to it's default state. At least the md5 checksum doesn't fit.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks
I don't have a DX so this may not help but I'll just throw some stuff out there. You may have already done all this:

- re-install the sreensaver hack and then uninstall it
- restart the Kindle
- move your books onto your computer and do a factory reset
- maybe someone with an intact DX framework.mario.conf can provide a copy of the file to you

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will pop in.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #57
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I don't have a DX so this may not help but I'll just throw some stuff out there. You may have already done all this:

- re-install the sreensaver hack and then uninstall it
- restart the Kindle
- move your books onto your computer and do a factory reset
- maybe someone with an intact DX framework.mario.conf can provide a copy of the file to you

Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will pop in.
you're right. I have already done all of this. Some a couple of times. I even have a intact framework.mario.conf

What I don't know is how to replace the corrupted one I have with the intact one.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #58
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
you're right. I have already done all of this. Some a couple of times. I even have a intact framework.mario.conf

What I don't know is how to replace the corrupted one I have with the intact one.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Actually, I think you can delete that file. From the readme file of the .03 version of the K2 hack:

Quote:
After the update, the update bin will be gone, but there will be two new
files in the root of your kindle: "framework.mario.conf.orig" and
"framework.mario.conf.new" You can delete these if you want, they are
simply copies of the config file (before and after) the screen saver
directory was changed in it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ss hack README.txt (2.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #59
hippocratesnoah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Actually, I think you can delete that file. From the readme file of the .03 version of the K2 hack:
The readme means a copy (backup) of the files to the root level of the kindle device. The modified version of the framework.mario.conf files resides in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/. There I would need to copy the original file. And I don't know how to accomplish this. The partition with this file is hidden and can't be directly accessed.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
The readme means a copy (backup) of the files to the root level of the kindle device. The modified version of the framework.mario.conf files resides in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/. There I would need to copy the original file. And I don't know how to accomplish this. The partition with this file is hidden and can't be directly accessed.
Sorry, I'm out of ideas then. Looks like you'll need a Linux guru.