Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Keyboard vs Kindle Paperwhite

Other than speakers, physical keyboard and larger storage space, is there anything that Kindle Keyboard has that Kindle Paperwhite doesn't have?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Page turn buttons which a lot of people were wanting Amazon to keep on PW
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Page turn buttons? That's important for some people.

Personally, though, I think the PW is the better device in almost every way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Page turn buttons? That's important for some people.

Personally, though, I think the PW is the better device in almost every way.
I am about to get PW tomorrow, so having only KB right now I don't know yet. Personally, I don't mind not having the page turn buttons as long as I can turn the page but I have read here and on other forums when PW was announced that "people" were complaining on it not having the page turn buttons.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I am about to get PW tomorrow, so having only KB right now I don't know yet. Personally, I don't mind not having the page turn buttons as long as I can turn the page but I have read here and on other forums when PW was announced that "people" were complaining on it not having the page turn buttons.
And there is some people that were complaining about missing page turn buttons, but found the touch or swipe to turn much more intuitive. For highlighting / dictionary lookup nothing beats just touching the word for a little bit.

The absence of page turn buttons can be a plus as well when holding the Kindle in hand. If you have large hands, it is to easy to hold and push buttons. A relative of mine uses a K4, and he is having that problem. Fortunately for him, he can simply turn the K4 to landscape and still comfortably grab the Kindle sideways in one hand w/o accidentally turning pages.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
It may be unique to my PW but I found that the Osnova Bibles do not work on my PW while they do work on my KK. Others have reported their PW's do not have this problem.

I have the Bible Encyclopedia on my PW and KK and that may be the cause of the Bible problems on my PW. It works as a second dictionary on both the PW and KK.

However, my NIV Bible works fine on both devices.

Searchable and the more advanced AcroBible is available to me in my KFHD7-32 so the problem really does not affect me.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Kindle Keyboard 3G is not as restricted as the PW 3G.

As far as the page turn buttons go, I thought I'd really miss them after using the KK and the basic Kindle for several years, but I really don't miss them at all.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The page turn buttons are perhaps the number one factor that keeps me preferring the KK over any other Kindle. The ability to use 3G to do light Internet chores was the next most important reason for me, but now that I have a data plan on my phone, it's not quite as important to me as it had been.
An truthfully, I use the physical keyboard a lot while reading for searching and looking stuff up, so that's right up there on my list. While touch may be nice for menu navigation and dictionary look ups, I don't like getting fingerprints on my reading screen. Some people say they don't notice/leave fingerprints when they use a touch a screen. Maybe so, but it's sure not like that for everybody.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Other than speakers, physical keyboard and larger storage space, is there anything that Kindle Keyboard has that Kindle Paperwhite doesn't have?
Text to speech (with a headphones socket, and a speaker)
Unlimited 3G access to the internet. (For the 3G model)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unlimited 3G access to the internet. (For the 3G model)
Unlimited in terms of sites, but now limited to 50MB/month in terms of traffic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I never want to go back to page buttons again. A quick tap on the screen is so much easier than pushing a button. You can't see fingerprints on the
PW and the Keyboard is really nice. I am finally ready to give my K3 up with no regrets. My K4s too if I hadn't just bought the black one. I guess I need one for backup if nothing else.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I never want to go back to page buttons again. A quick tap on the screen is so much easier than pushing a button. You can't see fingerprints on the PW and the Keyboard is really nice. I am finally ready to give my K3 up with no regrets. My K4s too if I hadn't just bought the black one. I guess I need one for backup if nothing else.
This is my feeling as well. I find a touch screen so much nicer to use for page turns and pretty much everything else. I also prefer the streamlined look of the PW and the kindle touch without the buttons.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
No one brought this up yet, but when I'm working with PDFs (which is really not recommended on either devices) the Keyboard generally looks better imo. Outside of crisp perfect PDFs that are computer generated, the scanned PDFs with grainy text ALWAYS looks better on the Keyboard. Of course the paperwhite is faster in scrolling and zooming in and out.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One problem with the touch screen devices is that it is more awkward and inefficient to scroll (web pages and Kindle Store item descriptions). There's no clean 'page up' 'page down' gesture to scroll a full 'page'. I wish a simple tap (in the usual tap zone) would do this, mimicking what the page turn buttons used to do.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
No one brought this up yet, but when I'm working with PDFs (which is really not recommended on either devices) the Keyboard generally looks better imo. Outside of crisp perfect PDFs that are computer generated, the scanned PDFs with grainy text ALWAYS looks better on the Keyboard. Of course the paperwhite is faster in scrolling and zooming in and out.
Also, after installed KPV kindlepdfviewer, pdf reading experience on DX and K3 is much better and keyboard very helpful.
KPV is not available for Paperwhite at the moment,
Luckily there is Duokan there for Paperwhite now.

While reading on my Sony Prs T1 I almost always use next-page buttons with my left hand thumb and use my right hand on touch screen for highlighting, handwriting or dictionary only.

Last edited by markom; 01-14-2013 at 03:14 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote