Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I remember the exact moment I started to read, and thought I knew what I was reading:

See Dick.
See Jane.
Funny, funny Jane.
Run, Spot, Run!

And when I discovered the actual subtext of what I had been avidly devouring during those early years long long ago, I knew I would have to name my first-born Spot.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not remember when I started reading. As far as I can remember I have always read. My mother liked to read. My father only read newspapers. My sister only reads gossip magazines. I had an uncle on my fathers side and my maternal grandfather both read a lot. My father was in the USAF and we lived all over the place, moving every two years. My grandfather lived in Illinois and my uncle lived in Georgia. We all read the same books. When I visited my grandfather we would swap all of the books we had read. Then when I visited my uncle we would also swap.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not remember when I started reading
Apache
Ditto. I know that my single father taught his three kids to read by reading to us and encouraging us to read the books available - mostly a (to a kid) largeish library of a Times of India collection. I hadn't READ Shaw and Shakespeare by the time I started kindergarten, but thanks to the spines and the tables of contents, I knew who they were.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #19
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Good thread following the other one on Harry Potter/classic.

I agree with you I think it's an inborn trait -some can learn it, but some naturally navigate toward it.

As I mentioned in another post in the other thread, I'm the only one in my family who likes reading. My parents read to me as a kid but never read and don't like it, my brother doesn't like to read, and my son doesn't -- but I've been fascinated by books and reading since about the age of 2.

Fortunately I found several friends who are readers and we have a fun book club going on once a month
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
In in the "you are born with it" side of the isle. Of course, a child has to be given the opportunity to learn to read and then have access to books to read. But - becoming a life long reader? I think it's no different than any other type of passion.

And, of course, I'm particularly speaking of "reading books you don't have too". Not basic literacy. Reading for work, reading social media, reading the internet, reading road signs...none of that are what I'm speaking of.

My gateway drug was the Weekly Reader. I LOVED getting the weekly reader and having my father give me a couple dollars to buy a book. The Witches Buttons, A Wrinkle in Time still stand out in my mind as books I loved that I got from the Weekly Reader.

SRA's - someone mentioned. I loved racing with my friends to see who could get to the highest level first. We all finished the whole set.

Somehow I got my hand on Westerns in paperback format. I used to read a lot of westerns until I discovered science fiction.

I read all the time. My step mom would chase me out of the house...but I'd just take my book with me.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe readers are more prone to flights of fancy, to use a phrase. In other words, we enjoy being taken to another place, another time, that's been created by someone's imagination. The non-readers may be more grounded and prefer the here and now.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Maybe readers are more prone to flights of fancy, to use a phrase. In other words, we enjoy being taken to another place, another time, that's been created by someone's imagination. The non-readers may be more grounded and prefer the here and now.
But they usually watch movies. That's also being taken to another place. I think it's more likely they're not able to imagine another place by mere words. And so reading does nothing for them. Of course that's only speculation, as I cannot imagine not being interested in reading.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Cereal boxes, milk cartons, shampoo bottles, toothpaste, anything with a label. It was a compulsion. I had to. Even with always having my cell phone with me, I still keep a book in my car. Right now it's Jane Eyre.
That was me, too. If it was near me and had text, I read it.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But they usually watch movies. That's also being taken to another place. I think it's more likely they're not able to imagine another place by mere words. And so reading does nothing for them. Of course that's only speculation, as I cannot imagine not being interested in reading.
Exactly; excellent point.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #25
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Or it might be just the opposite. I am a very grounded, practical person, and my favorite books to read are paranormal romances. I love being taken to someplace that I'll never go to.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #26
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I was born before there was TV and I remember listening to the Saturday morning kids radio shows. A few of them had stories and they were what pulled me into them. I knew I loved stories before I learned to read and when I did learn to read I found a new way to enjoy stories.

That's always been what reading is all about for me. I want stories.

I still listen to old time radio shows (OTR) and my favorites are anthology series. That's true of early TV as well. There were a lot of anthology series on early TV and radio. They make up a big part of my collection and I listen to them more than to most shows. I approach reading in kind of the same way. I want every book to be a complete story that stands alone. If I have to read a series in order or read a second book to get the full story I'm not interested. Books are my favorite anthologies.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Before 1935 electronic TV barryem?
Or before 1924 start of Mechanical TV after hours using broadcast transmitters.
USA had TV during WWII, but in UK it was turned off in September 1939.
My dad was born before Electronic TV, but didn't have a TV at home till about 1958.

BBC R4 still has some dramatised books on Radio as well as narrated books. Audio books have the biggest growth at over 20%.

I do think titles in a Series should be complete stories or else it's really a serial.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
hobnail
Running with scissors

Maybe barryem means before color tv. I remember being in 1st grade or whatever and we made a "field trip" to someone's house that had a color TV to watch a debate between Nixon and JFK. Thinking back I don't doubt that the teacher just wanted to see a color tv. Prior to that I remember whenever I was at my grandparent's house that they always watched Lawrence Welk; "A one and a two ...", lord I hated that show. Ah, memories.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Before 1935 electronic TV barryem?
Or before 1924 start of Mechanical TV after hours using broadcast transmitters.
USA had TV during WWII, but in UK it was turned off in September 1939.
I believe barryem is 79, which means he was born in 1940 or 1941. Commercial tv didn’t start in the US until July 1, 1941, and even then it was just in New York. So I take him at his word and don’t see the point of playing gotcha.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Or it might be just the opposite. I am a very grounded, practical person, and my favorite books to read are paranormal romances. I love being taken to someplace that I'll never go to.
Science fiction and fantasy books can take you away from home and even away from Earth. You can go to other dimensions, other planets, other galaxies, other time (past and/or present), etc.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote