Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've always been an avid reader, ever since I was a kid. But as I got older and my already poor vision got worse, I stopped reading for 10+ years because it was just too hard with the tiny print in paperbacks. Ereaders let me read again.

The current state of ereaders, eink screen, front light, long battery life, small size, are absolutely perfect for me and there's no going back to reading on any other type of device for me. Phones are too small and use up too much battery, tablets too large to be held comfortably and use up too much battery, and neither can be read outdoors in bright sunlight.

I never leave the house without my ereader since I got my first one. I have a very small crossbody purse that's just large enough to fit my phone, ereader, spare car key, few plastics for ID, and that's it. Waiting in long lines at the post office which used to irritate me to no end is now actually pleasurable that I can just pull out the reader. Stuck in my car waiting almost 4 hours for a tow truck made that even a pleasure since I could just sit back and read instead of climbing the walls sitting there.

Oh yeah, ereaders are definitely still a thing and a big part of my daily life that I wouldn't be without. Although my preference is 6" for portability, they're also in enough various sizes to suit most everyone at this point. No improvements recently? No need as far as I'm concerned, they're perfect as is to just keep reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
In regards to sanitizer, I though it was a society good as well as a personal good; like wearing a mask.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #63
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
We have 112 active cases in the whole country at the moment. The nursing homes are quarantined again, as of this week. School starts on September 1st here.
It seems like the European countries have reasonably intelligent leaders who took this thing seriously. Here in the US there's no telling when we'll get a handle on it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
In regards to sanitizer, I though it was a society good as well as a personal good; like wearing a mask.
There's no point unless the majority of the population uses them, and people don't with so few cases as we have had so far. As I said, most will probably change their behavior if/when the number of cases sharply increases, myself included. Otherwise no one bothers. One of the reasons is that we are used to various respiratory infections that occur in our climate (as opposed to people living in warmer parts of the world). No one here wears a mask or uses sanitizers because of the flu either, which is very common in autumn and winter. Yes, we know in theory that Covid is potentially more lethal than the flu, but it has not shown its hand in real life so far. So most people aren't particularly afraid of it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It seems like the European countries have reasonably intelligent leaders who took this thing seriously. Here in the US there's no telling when we'll get a handle on it.
Well, the European countries are also much, much smaller than the US. So it's easier for them to take appropriate measures and the effect of those is much faster.
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #66
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I'm still using my first gen Oasis, so I guess e-ink readers still ARE a thing.

Of course, if you want to chase the latest tech, they aren't going down that road any more. I'd say they've peaked and hopefully holding steady.

If you want innovative tech, try following RAM. Now there's some stuff that can really get into your memory!
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, the European countries are also much, much smaller than the US. So it's easier for them to take appropriate measures and the effect of those is much faster.
As a Canadian, I take umbrage at remarks about the size of countries and the effectiveness of measures.

For me, it appears that the American government and people as a group lack the desire or will to take effective measures and that starts from the top down.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The United States is also made up of states where the governors have more local authority than the Federal government. Forcing Covid-19 patients in nursing homes (in New York and New Jersey) was not a Federal government decision (a mayor and two governors made that decision) and, so far, that has been the most disastrous decision made in the U.S. during the pandemic.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As a Canadian, I take umbrage at remarks about the size of countries and the effectiveness of measures.
Apologies.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, it appears that the American government and people as a group lack the desire or will to take effective measures and that starts from the top down.
Americans like their freedom. We take the rights guaranteed to us in the Constitution seriously.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #71
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Americans like their freedom. We take the rights guaranteed to us in the Constitution seriously.
And states autonomy is extremely important.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #72
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
To answer the original question: YES. Today you can have devices with the screen of the size you want, you have adjustable light temperature and many of them will have TTS or audiobooks. You can choose any ecosystem like Amazon, Kobo, or a reader that doesn't belong to any of them. And finally the color: in my Pocketbook color it is not fantastic but it is acceptable, the screen is not very clear but if it is illuminated it is fine. Well, you see there's an extra layer of color but then when you read a normal text in black and white you don't notice it.
And today my Pocketbook color is, among other things, smaller and lighter than my PW3 bought in 2017.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm...
Code:
USA:   5,346,400 Covid-19 cases
         168,904 deaths

Canada: 121,760 Covid-19 cases
          9,021 deaths
Yes, Canada's population is about 11% of the USA's population. So converting to make things fairer.

Code:
Canada: 1,092,438 equivalent Covid-19 cases
           80,137 equivalent deaths
While the federal and provincial governments in Canada tend to be very protective of their rights, they at least are displaying the common sense to recognize a common enemy that needs them to work together and listen to advice from health professionals.

I won't speak for the 20-30 year old crowd who still seem to have trouble understanding that Covid-19 is not just a disease of old folks so they shouldn't go out and party hearty! Though the recent examples seem to have managed to make some of them listen.

'Nuff said. I'd suggest taking this to Politics and Religion but why bother.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.” ― Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

Last edited by DNSB; 08-15-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #74
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Isn't it amazing how discussion has drifted away from the original topic to various completely unrelated matters, now resembling mere chatter?

Doesn't this forum have any moderators to keep things on topic?
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #75
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
Isn't it amazing how discussion has drifted away from the original topic to various completely unrelated matters, now resembling mere chatter?

Doesn't this forum have any moderators to keep things on topic?
Yes. I have the feeling that their patience is expiring.