Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Summer 2006 e-mail from Sony

Just received an update e-mail from Sony. It links to this URL:

http://anon.doubleclick.edgesuite.ne...2978/link.html

Nothing particularly specific there, except perhaps (emphasis by me):

"Thank you for your patience and for requesting updates on the Sony® Reader, coming this fall, in time for the holidays. It holds about 80 electronic books, is as easy to carry as a slim paperback and thanks to electronic paper, just as easy to read."
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
What holidays would that be exactly?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nuts, you beat me to posting it, TadW!

The PCMag review said late October (specifically he said September, then corrected himself to October) -- my info suggests that expectation is pretty close, unless it slips again, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Yeah, got the same email. What a bunch of jerks. First spring, then summer, now fall, coming soon, WINTER.....

If only IRex had content, I would spend the extra money!
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan
If only IRex had content, I would spend the extra money!
So is the connect store a selling point for you, then?
Advert
Old 07-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Bummer!
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Oh dear it seems that the iLiad starts to tinkle my brain again. But just to get it out; "SONY WHYYYYYYYY!!!! I was really hoping it would be maybe the beginning of September and I'm afraid it's going to be somewhere in November now.

390 grams eh? that's not too heavy now is it?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
masc
Enthusiast
masc began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Oh dear it seems that the iLiad starts to tinkle my brain again. But just to get it out; "SONY WHYYYYYYYY!!!! I was really hoping it would be maybe the beginning of September and I'm afraid it's going to be somewhere in November now.

390 grams eh? that's not too heavy now is it?
yes, life is not easy ...
masc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
So is the connect store a selling point for you, then?
Only in the sense that it should give me access to thousands of (mostly recreational) books. If there was some way to get the Iliad to accept eReader or some other format with similar content availability, I could live with that, even at the cost of the Iliad.

But for the relatively few unencrypted books out there (as a % of all books), it is not worth the pretty high cost of the Iliad.

Now if it cost $350 like the Sony (or less), I might buy an Iliad just for the free content, but not for the present price.....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, did some checking around -- I'm seeing reason to think that the "fall" timing may be the result of confirming quality levels on the released device (like a double-check through QA sort of thing).

(Obviously) Sony's Reader is aimed at us, the end customers, rather than B2B like the iLiad, so they're not expecting some company to buy it and fill the device with its own software. I'm inferring that Sony wants to make sure that the OS & apps on it are going to be pretty solid right out of the box, and reduce the oportunity for grumbling as much as they can.

Just look at how we're going on over the iLiad's ... issues..., and it's supposed to be a B2B product -- they made us acknowledge it in writing before they'd let us buy the rascals, and we're still awful noisy! Mostly reasonable, I dare say, but pretty noisy, still.

I think it was noted elsewhere on the forum that the Sony CEO is pretty excited about their Reader, so they have that motivation too. Specific attention to a product by the CEO? Ouch.

Anyway, it's not spring, and it's not August, but October isn't all that far off, I suppose. (grumble)
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

I wouldn't be surprised if the delay was due to the Connect software. There was a story in NY Times about two months ago about how Connect development had turned into a disaster. Maybe they decided to overhaul/rewrite it?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
I wouldn't be surprised if the delay was due to the Connect software. There was a story in NY Times about two months ago about how Connect development had turned into a disaster. Maybe they decided to overhaul/rewrite it?
I think the music part is working just fine -- I haven't bought anything there but it seems to work well enough looking at it. Even if I do have to switch over to I.E. to see it.

The indications I've seen suggest that it's a review of the Reader hardware/software/OS itself.

I couldn't find the NYT item you mentioned (via their search engine), I'd like to see it, if you have a link.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
Laurens
Jah Blessed

It was actually a CNET news.com story: http://news.com.com/2102-1027_3-6078...=st.util.print
Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
It was actually a CNET news.com story: http://news.com.com/2102-1027_3-6078...=st.util.print
Ah, well that's actually good -- I don't trust the NYT as much as I used to.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

That is an interesting CNet article, I'm not sure what to make of it in the face of the public fact that the Connect website is up and running. Doesn't seem to fit together somehow....