Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Yes, I think you are correct - from my limited experience with both of these programs. (Thank you. )

ADDED: Uncle Robin has way more experience with LibreOffice than I do.
MS Office compatibility is a moving target for sure, and there are online sources which suggest Softmaker really IS better for Linux users, but LO continues to improve, 7.1.4 is very good, and is around $100US cheaper than Softmaker's paid offering. Meaning that it is MUCH more compatible with my wallet.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I got the link to the $40 Office Pro 2021 (with free PaintShop Pro) in my email today. It looks like the link is for anyone who stumbles on to it (the same link as original one in the first post of this thread, I think).

https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-promotion

If you're interested it might be worth looking into. I can't guarantee the link works for everyone — I'm guessing it's for the U.S. (And you have to buy the subscription NX version if you want Android support — at $30 a year. It looks like the Android version is free at the Google Play store also?)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-26-2021 at 03:28 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2021, 11:46 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I got the link to the $40 Office Pro 2021 (with free PaintShop Pro) in my email today. It looks like the link is for anyone who stumbles on to it (the same link as original one in the first post of this thread, I think).

https://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-office-promotion

If you're interested it might be worth looking into. I can't guarantee the link works for everyone — I'm guessing it's for the U.S. (And you have to buy the subscription NX version if you want Android support — at $30 a year. It looks like the Android version is free at the Google Play store also?)
I can confirm that the reposted link still doesn't work for me - there's a graphic advertising a HUGE discount, but the full version is still close to $100US for me.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:45 AM   #19
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Here the same, €99 for the full version, €59 for the upgrade, Paint Shop Pro for free
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I can confirm that the reposted link still doesn't work for me - there's a graphic advertising a HUGE discount, but the full version is still close to $100US for me.

You may wish to do what I did: Download the limited-time version and then let it expire. Perhaps you may then get that special offer. Of course, even at that very generous sale price, if it doesn't do what you need it to do then it may not even be worth it to you.

(Unless, of course, if you've already done this.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You may wish to do what I did: Download the limited-time version and then let it expire. Perhaps you may then get that special offer. Of course, even at that very generous sale price, if it doesn't do what you need it to do then it may not even be worth it to you.
This must be the case. I'm not logged in at SoftMaker so I thought the link was generic. But when I copy the exact same link into another browser I don't get the discount either. There must be some kind cookie in my browser? Weird. Sorry, I thought the offer expired last time and this was a new chance available to everyone.

I see now, when I hover over the "go to Browser" or buy from the email, there's a credential (cred) code in the link, and it's definitely tied to their newsletter mailing. I'm guessing it's unique to each "subscriber." I've attached a screen grab to show what it looks like. I'm pretty sure if you download the free version of their software you would (sooner or later) get one of these offers in your email (they require your email address to download the free version).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	credential.png
Views:	155
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	187903  
Old 06-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #22
mkm
Enthusiast
mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRSt2, pocket edge
I registered for the free version and got the promotional link.

I bought it because it supports powerpoint and it's portable.

LibreOffice/OpenOffice has very good compatibility with M$ Office with the exception of power point. I prefer Impress which is x10 better, but many use power point and I wanted something which supports it "on the go".

After you install the software you can install it to a USB drive under utilities, then uninstall from your PC.
I only activated the USB drive install.

my 2bits.

Last edited by mkm; 06-28-2021 at 08:51 AM.
mkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #23
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
From a heavily Microsoft invested user, I would say the $40 US price makes more sense than the $100 US price. My reasoning is that for $99/year, one can buy 6TB of online storage (6 1TB accounts) AND have full access to the entire standalone MS Office Suite. For a family situation or a small group of individual users who chip in, that, is hard to beat. Especially when one considers the tight integration with Win10.

At $40 US, I might be interested in a commercial alternative. But at $100, I just don't see the appeal.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #24
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
$100 is the stand alone version
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #25
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
$100 is the stand alone version
As is the MS Office Version. Actually, subscribers have access to both standalone and online versions, as they should, I think.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
From a heavily Microsoft invested user, I would say the $40 US price makes more sense than the $100 US price. My reasoning is that for $99/year, one can buy 6TB of online storage (6 1TB accounts) AND have full access to the entire standalone MS Office Suite. For a family situation or a small group of individual users who chip in, that, is hard to beat. Especially when one considers the tight integration with Win10.

At $40 US, I might be interested in a commercial alternative. But at $100, I just don't see the appeal.
Yeah, but if you don't use Windows or don't use any (or very little) online storage, the SoftMaker suite would be a great alternative for those who need to create and use Office compatible documents. And the $100 (or $40 if you just sign up for the free software and wait a bit for the promotion) is a one time charge — not an annual one. Since I use Linux (by choice) the Microsoft Office suite is not available for me (even if I wanted it) — and I don't like to "rent" software. But, even at $40, the SoftMaker Office suite and PaintShop Pro have no draw for me. I hardly ever even use LibreOffice and I never need to deal with Microsoft documents. And every attempt at using a "PaintShop" application has ended in failure (for a while I worked in a print shop, so had access to these paint applications).
Old 06-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
mkm
Enthusiast
mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRSt2, pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
As is the MS Office Version. Actually, subscribers have access to both standalone and online versions, as they should, I think.
With Softmaker you can mix-and-match your permanent 5 licenses and install on Windows/MacOS/Linux.
The yearly subscription version is cheaper (and includes a fully functional Android app).
You get to use normal classic interface.

Also, you can have it on a USB drive.
As far as I can tell there's no spying either.

If you're happy with M$ Office stick with them, to each his own.
I'm still using win7 pro, win 10 is awful.

I thought this was a hell of deal at $40. Even at the full $100 if you buy for a family or with 4 others it's a great deal at $20 per license (but I can afford the $40 and now have extra :-D ).
mkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Here's the link that seems to work for the $40 deal. I don't know if it's only for the U.S. or not. (No way to test for that.)

DELETED

Sorry. It looks like the link has a unique customer number when you go to checkout.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-29-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:48 AM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Well, SoftMaker finally got some (not much) money from me. They offered the SoftMaker Office 2018 Standard package for $8 and I went ahead and picked it up. I haven't tested it much, but so far I like it's "feel" better than LibreOffice. I also like that it comes with real (PDF) User Manuals. I guess now they'll dun me forever to upgrade to 2021.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:55 AM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I also like that it comes with real (PDF) User Manuals.
FWIW, so does LibreOffice