Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #16
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I am mostly OK with the battery charge life on my Oasis 2 with no significant complaints battery wise. But I keep wifi off, light low or off, am not running 5.13.x, and only use it once or twice per day.
Since I tend to read in bed when my grillfiend is asleep, I'm going to have to use the light. That makes me think I should resign myself to picking up either an Oasis 3 or a second Clara HD for weekends at her place. Thanks for the input, j.p.s.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Since I tend to read in bed when my grillfiend is asleep, I'm going to have to use the light. That makes me think I should resign myself to picking up either an Oasis 3 or a second Clara HD for weekends at her place. Thanks for the input, j.p.s.
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that using the light at all will drain the battery quickly. Setting for reading in a dark room are probably OK unless you crank it up. In any case the Oasis 3 might be worse if the "warm light" setting is cranked up. The battery drain because of the light is worst for fill light in a bright setting, especially if auto adjust is on. (However, in bright enough sunlight, the Oasis 2 will turn the light completely off.)

The following thread has photographs comparing Oasis 2 and Voyage brightness over a wide range of settings.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336

The thread below is for the kindle Voyage battery drain versus light setting, but the principle is the same.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293683
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2021, 08:03 AM   #18
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Personally, I was always blurry about what haptic meant for buttons so I never tried to get a Voyage. I love my KPW4 better than any other e-reader than I've had before, including the 2 Kobos that I used to have. I don't need a 2nd e-reader, just as well, because there is a lockdown where I am. No shipping at all.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Personally, I was always blurry about what haptic meant for buttons so I never tried to get a Voyage. I love my KPW4 better than any other e-reader than I've had before, including the 2 Kobos that I used to have. I don't need a 2nd e-reader, just as well, because there is a lockdown where I am. No shipping at all.
Haptic feedback is a response detected by touch. On the Voyage there is a setting that will cause the page turn sensor to briefly vibrate when it detects a press. The amount of vibration can be set to off, low, medium, or high. The sensitivity to a press can also be set to off, low, medium, or high.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Personally, I was always blurry about what haptic meant for buttons so I never tried to get a Voyage.
Haptic 'buttons' aren't really buttons at all. Just an area that responds to touch. But it will vibrate a little to let you know it received the input. Most old Samsung phones used haptic buttons for 'search' and 'back'.

I used to want a Voyage so badly, if I were going to buy a Kindle at all. I liked the haptic buttons, metal chassis and ultra-sharp screen.

But over time, I've come to prefer my Clara. The Voyage has nice features, but there's no waterproofing, no warm light and storage is limited to, what? 2.5GB?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2021, 02:13 PM   #21
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Haptic feedback is a response detected by touch. On the Voyage there is a setting that will cause the page turn sensor to briefly vibrate when it detects a press. The amount of vibration can be set to off, low, medium, or high. The sensitivity to a press can also be set to off, low, medium, or high.
Good to know. What I really like about the upgrades from PW3 to 4 are the ease of monitoring the battery level, and also more control over fonts.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:16 PM   #22
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Haptic 'buttons' aren't really buttons at all. Just an area that responds to touch. But it will vibrate a little to let you know it received the input. Most old Samsung phones used haptic buttons for 'search' and 'back'.

I used to want a Voyage so badly, if I were going to buy a Kindle at all. I liked the haptic buttons, metal chassis and ultra-sharp screen.

But over time, I've come to prefer my Clara. The Voyage has nice features, but there's no waterproofing, no warm light and storage is limited to, what? 2.5GB?
Thanks, not for the first time. I've got a PW4 that has 32GB storage, but when there's a next time to replace my current e-reader, I will definitely choose the ones without ads. Mine do have ads and the screensaver is boring.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thanks, not for the first time. I've got a PW4 that has 32GB storage, but when there's a next time to replace my current e-reader, I will definitely choose the ones without ads. Mine do have ads and the screensaver is boring.
You could always pony up the $20.00 US to have the ads removed if you find them that much of an issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:04 AM   #24
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could always pony up the $20.00 US to have the ads removed if you find them that much of an issue.
Can you or any volunteer tell me how to go about this? Just tell me in a few words...

EDIT : Never mind, googled it.

Last edited by Luffy; 03-31-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That $20 surcharge to remove ads irks me. It's not like a Kindle is $20 cheaper than a comparable Kobo or Nook reader.

Part of why I've never looked seriously at getting a Kindle, though I do buy my books from Amazon.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:39 PM   #26
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
At last, my fledgling horror novel has a title! THE GRILLFIEND. I just knew that someday, somewhere, a title more confusing than Neal Stephenson's REAMDE would appear.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:47 AM   #27
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
At last, my fledgling horror novel has a title! THE GRILLFIEND. I just knew that someday, somewhere, a title more confusing than Neal Stephenson's REAMDE would appear.
I wish you wouldn't, only because I'm a horror writer myself and that's one of the terms of affection I always use.

I can only ask, of course, since I've been using the phrase in public all my life.

I'm not very prolific, though I did write a collection that won the Firecracker Award and was nominated for a Bram Stoker years ago.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^
Can you supply a link, please, on your Stoker nominated work?
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #29
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I wish you wouldn't, only because I'm a horror writer myself and that's one of the terms of affection I always use.

I can only ask, of course, since I've been using the phrase in public all my life.

I'm not very prolific, though I did write a collection that won the Firecracker Award and was nominated for a Bram Stoker years ago.
Wilco.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
SOLD OUT!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote