Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
charge uses a pair of pins in the connection,. " see me" and transfer data uses different pins. so it is logical that one may work and the other not if the relevant pins are not engaging properly

I doubt that Amazon have changed the industry standard of what pins do what, so any cable should work. but mechanical issues are sadly common, part of the moulding is too short, or too long , or the cable is loose in the socket....
It doesn't make logical sense, I know. These other cords charge and connect my other things to the Home PC fine to be opened and have file trasnfers, including MP3 player, phones and external harddrive. It's only the Kindles I run into issues with, and not on every computer. My simple work computer opens the kindle no matter which cord I use, but not my home one. Such fun

And I have to say it's not just me. When I kept not getting my Kindles to connect I found a thread online through searching for troubleshooting where others like me said they couldn't figure it out either but had to get the USB cord the Kindle came with to get it to finally connect - weird, but that's what solved my issue too after their suggestion. I have no idea now which thread/forum it was since it's been a few months.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 12-01-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:14 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
manufacturing tolerances will affect how far in you can push the cable to make the connection. there's the actual pins length and the thickness of the plastic/rubber buffer around them to consider, in both plug and socket, and also the snugness of the fit.
I have had 3rd party cables that would fall out of a device at the slightest touch, yet the original cable was tight. and cables that simply did not go in far enough to work as the cable end moulding was very short. OTOH if the moulding is too long, you'll get the moulding in, but all the pins may not make contact.

cables are so cheap it's really a 1st world problem, find one that works, label it so, move on...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
desktop, kindle paperwhite