Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Medik
Medik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Kindle paperwhite freezes all the time

Hello Guys.
To Begin with, i have a refurbished kindle paperwhite which i received from my older brother ( he bought it from aliexpress). The device was working perfectly without any problems and as a Mather of facts I’ve completed two books. During the exams I shut it down and left it for at least two weeks.
When I tried to lock it off after the exam’s finished, the device was unresponsive and the screen was blank and this was the beginning of the problems. Anyway during the past week I’ve tried several possible solutions but nothing seems to work.
- I tried to press the button for 20s,30s and even 1min ( but it didn’t work)
- I ‘ve put it on charge for almost 2h (and it didn’t work )
- What worked for the first time was a hard reset (plug it on computer for 5 minutes and then hold the on button for 1 minute and let it to restart)
- Okay, at the moment everything was okay. I put it on sleep and when I tried to opened it showed me the same problems ( a frozen screen)
- After lurking and searching a lot of threads I came up again for possible solutions :
1. Factory reset: I did it but it still won’t work.
2. I removed the cover ( I read that the metal tab can cause some troubles) and still won’t work.
3. I manually updated the software (since it’s not registered) but the problem is still there.
So now, whenever I open a book or just go to menu etc... The device freezes whiten seconds and I have to re-reset it by plugging it on computer. It crushes the whole time.
The problem has really made me frustrated since I’m looking to read a few books.*
Can anyone please help me with the solution? That would be great. Thanks in advance.
Medik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Put it on a wall charger for 24 hours.
Then unplug and press and hold the power button for 40 seconds.
Is the wifi on or off?
Someone will be along shortly to tell you how to see if a book is stuck indexing.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Medik

Thank you for your reply.
I don't have a wall charger, it came with just a USB cable.
and i never uses wifi. So plane mode is always on.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medik View Post
Thank you for your reply.
I don't have a wall charger, it came with just a USB cable.
and i never uses wifi. So plane mode is always on.
Go buy a cheap wall charger. If you are using the computer, it is possible it is not getting fully charged. You can just buy a wall charger that any usb cable will plug into.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
Medik

It is fully charged i always get the green light.
But i'll buy the wall charger and i hope it woks.
Thanks
Advert
Old 01-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
I'd start by getting the device to where Amazon intended it to be even if you don't anticipate using in that way long term.
  • Charge on wall charger for 24 hours as suggested
  • turn WiFi on
  • do a factory reset
  • ensure it has the latest firmware installed
  • register it to an Amazon account
in the short term limit reading to stuff from the Amazon store, don't side load stuff. - There's lots of free and very cheap content out there, treat this as testing.[/LIST]
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Medik

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
I'd start by getting the device to where Amazon intended it to be even if you don't anticipate using in that way long term.
  • Charge on wall charger for 24 hours as suggested
  • turn WiFi on
  • do a factory reset
  • ensure it has the latest firmware installed
  • register it to an Amazon account
in the short term limit reading to stuff from the Amazon store, don't side load stuff. - There's lots of free and very cheap content out there, treat this as testing.[/LIST]

I've tried them all and i even deleted un-indexed books with no luck.
Can you please tell me what can 24 hours charging do to the device ?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The advice to charge your device with a wall charger for a longish period like 24 hours is because making sure the battery is fully charged like that is the first step towards fixing it. It might just be the battery running low despite the green light being on that is causing the issues. Certainly when you reboot it and try to awake it from being frozen that is putting more strain on the battery, and if it's freezing because of stuck indexing books or something, that is also putting a strain on the battery.

The fact that your Kindle us not rebooting when you hold the power button for 20-30 seconds, except for when you had it plugged into your computer suggests it's not fully charged.

So follow the advice above, either use a mobile phone charger or if you only have a USB cable, buy one of those USB wall chargers (www.amazon.com/dp/B01F2PW4EC/).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Medik

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
The advice to charge your device with a wall charger for a longish period like 24 hours is because making sure the battery is fully charged like that is the first step towards fixing it. It might just be the battery running low despite the green light being on that is causing the issues. Certainly when you reboot it and try to awake it from being frozen that is putting more strain on the battery, and if it's freezing because of stuck indexing books or something, that is also putting a strain on the battery.

The fact that your Kindle us not rebooting when you hold the power button for 20-30 seconds, except for when you had it plugged into your computer suggests it's not fully charged.

So follow the advice above, either use a mobile phone charger or if you only have a USB cable, buy one of those USB wall chargers (www.amazon.com/dp/B01F2PW4EC/).

Thanks. I'l give it a try and report back asap.

Edit : the device works without any problems or freezes at all when plugged to a computer (with green lights on) . I think this supports what you said.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medik View Post
Thanks. I'l give it a try and report back asap.

Edit : the device works without any problems or freezes at all when plugged to a computer (with green lights on) . I think this supports what you said.
This tells me the computer is not actually charging the kindle but just keeping it on.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Medik

unfortunately charging it with the wall charger didn't help either. The freezing problem is still there :/ any other possible solutions guys ?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
(Well, technically, there were not 24 hours between your two posts, so you really ought to KEEP it attached to the wall charger for 24 or 48 hours.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #13
Medik

I did Like 16 hours and when i accidentally opened it, i found it again freezing.
Anyway, I' going now to do a full 24h and report back.
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suspect that the two week sitting idle caused the battery to drain completely. This isn't good for lithium batteries, and may have damaged it. If you can't get it to run reliably from the battery, a new battery may be your best bet.

But hopefully not. Replacing the battery isn't the easier of operations.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
Medik

Hey guys , sorry for taking too long to update.
Anyway, I did charged it for over 24 hours and now it seems to work fine ( I've been reading for over an hour ). However, once i put the device on sleep and when i try to open it again it starts to freeze. I don't really think the problem is in the battery. Because the freeze cause the device to discharge. Anyone with other suggestions ????

Tags
kindle paperwhite, kindle paperwhite 2