Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #16
alheva
alheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavens

Device: IPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Of course it's not. Alheva, you may safely ignore Turtle – that is his standard response in all threads, regardless of the issue discussed: "It's a feature, not a bug. Don't you dare utter the slightest suggestion of the faintest criticism of Marvin."
Thanks again for your interest, all of you.

Finally, I must say that I was expecting for a big, big update of Marvin (and I know 3 is showing many interesting features, so far). Of course, I thought that Marvin 3 would be a new version, not a new app -as Turtle suggests-. Otherwise it should have came with a new NAME, not a new number.
And I say again: in my opinion Marvin is, by far, the best e-reading app -at least for Ipads-.
alheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alheva View Post
Thanks again for your interest, all of you.

Finally, I must say that I was expecting for a big, big update of Marvin (and I know 3 is showing many interesting features, so far). Of course, I thought that Marvin 3 would be a new version, not a new app -as Turtle suggests-. Otherwise it should have came with a new NAME, not a new number.
And I say again: in my opinion Marvin is, by far, the best e-reading app -at least for Ipads-.
I definitely agree with your opinion that Marvin is the best e-reading app! And I dare say that there is actually quite a bit of improvement "under the hood". One of the big advances is Marvin's ability to read ePub3 (not to mention cbx/cbr) files. I'm sure that was one of the reasons Kris took a "ground-up rewrite" stance on the coding - it probably was much easier than trying to fix the old code. He also took the opportunity to remove some of the "bloat" - features that were not popular or only desired by a handful of vocal users - and focus on Marvin being a reading app.

The numbering system is pretty much industry standard - how else do the vendors capitalize on name recognition?? Even software that doesn't use numbers simply use a name attached to, or associated with, the main name...

For those that don't know their ear from a hole in the ground about programming - and expect to get whatever they want just because they can imagine it being possible - they need to realize that they will hear the same answer over and over again when they ask the same question over and over and over and over and over again. The answer doesn't change just because they ask the question again. For someone who is so into languages (and is supposed to be good at it?? ) they should realize that words have meanings and intentionally using the wrong word incorrectly does not make them a better person - it just shows their arrogantly condescending ignorance...

Definition of a computer bug:
Quote:
A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways.
emphasis added

If the programmer intended their code to behave in a specific manner, then it is not a bug. It is a "feature" of the program. You may not like the feature, you may not agree with the feature, you may think of half a dozen ways to make the feature better, but it is a feature and not a bug.

And...as I mentioned above...I happen to agree that feature is not well implemented. I just choose not to be a hot headed windbag and whine and complain and bully until I force my opinions on others. I mention it once to someone who is able to actually fix the problem - rather than rant on a public forum attempting to make myself look important. After giving my arguments/reasons to the person who can actually do something about it, I let them make the decision on how to go forward. If they take my advice, then great! If they don't, then so be it. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum like a two-year-old who doesn't get his candy.... after all, it isn't my program/app...

Have a great day!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
He also took the opportunity to remove some of the "bloat" - features that were not popular or only desired by a handful of vocal users - and focus on Marvin being a reading app.
Eh??? This is pure fantasy. Never has Kris said anything remotely resembling this. Turtle is simply mistaking his dreams for reality.

So, of course, reality is the exact opposite: as has been said many times, Marvin 3 users rightfully expect Marvin 3 to accomplish all of the things that Marvin 2 accomplished, but to accomplish them better than Marvin 2 did (not vice versa, which is, unfortunately, sometimes the case today, as Alheva discovered), and users expect Marvin 3 to add a lot of new functionality in addition to all that Marvin 2 accomplished, because there were certainly many functionality gaps in Marvin 2, and they are still there in Marvin 3. (Do I only need to say, "annotations syncing", for the most glaring functionality gap.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, lack of ADE page numbers and not showing embedded fonts in Marvin's formatting mode are the two biggest flaws.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, lack of ADE page numbers and not showing embedded fonts in Marvin's formatting mode are the two biggest flaws.
Honestly I could care less about page numbers either way. That doesn't affect my reading experience in any way, shape, or form. I certainly don't measure my success in life by comparing what page number I'm on with the other guys. But then, I'm not using Marvin to study text books or research or anything like that. I'm using it to read books. I get to see the little progress bar at the bottom of the screen if I ever care to see how far I've read or if I should finish reading that last bit of the book before going to sleep. In the menu it tells me what % of the book I've read. And I have the ability to remember what chapter I ended on, if Marvin ever hiccoughs and loses my place (which hasn't happened to me). So, whatever...

I also agree that not showing embedded fonts in Marvin's formatting is not optimal. However, as I previously mentioned when discussing the purpose of this thread, Marvin ignores a goodly portion of the embedded css in order to manage all the options it provides. If you don't like that, then use publisher's layout and you will get exactly what you asked for.... my small request of Kris would be to allow the user to choose publisher's layout as the default for all books instead of having to turn it on for each one individually. If he doesn't agree, then Marvin is still the best ereader out there, and I'm not going to waste time and effort endlessly pointing out what functions I wish were better....
Advert
Old 08-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Honestly I could care less about page numbers either way. That doesn't affect my reading experience in any way, shape, or form. I certainly don't measure my success in life by comparing what page number I'm on with the other guys. But then, I'm not using Marvin to study text books or research or anything like that. I'm using it to read books. I get to see the little progress bar at the bottom of the screen if I ever care to see how far I've read or if I should finish reading that last bit of the book before going to sleep. In the menu it tells me what % of the book I've read. And I have the ability to remember what chapter I ended on, if Marvin ever hiccoughs and loses my place (which hasn't happened to me). So, whatever...
You don't get it with page numbers. We are reading ePub with Marvin. Some of us also have Readers or programs/apps that use ADE. So if I am reading with Marvin and decide I was to read with my H2O, I can easily find where I left off because the page numbers will be the same. Also, ADE page numbers are the standard for page numbers with ePub. So not having ADE page numbers is a bad idea.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #22
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

From one of those other threads where you are debating page numbers, it looks like ADE requires a proprietary code to use...not all apps want - or should - pay for them. Especially when it is relatively simple to remember where you were and with a few swipes find it again...during the few times you are switching back and forth between apps.

I'm not sure there are enough people who do switch often enough to make using proprietary software worth paying for??
Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
From one of those other threads where you are debating page numbers, it looks like ADE requires a proprietary code to use...not all apps want - or should - pay for them. Especially when it is relatively simple to remember where you were and with a few swipes find it again...during the few times you are switching back and forth between apps.

I'm not sure there are enough people who do switch often enough to make using proprietary software worth paying for??
Where did you get this BS that ADE pages number requires proprietary code? It's just an algorithm. Anyone can write code to generate ADE page numbers. There's code in the count pages plugin that you can look at to see how ADE page numbers are calculated.

It's not switching apps as I'd be reading with Marvin on an iPad or iPhone so why would I want to then read with a different app on the same device? It's for when I want to switch to using my H2O with the book I was reading with Marvin. It's not a stop reading with Marvin and then switch right away. I might not want to read the book on my H2O until some time after I've stopped reading with Marvin.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 PM   #24
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
And what have these 2 pet peeves of yours, Jon (pet peeves for many years), to do with Alheva's thread? Thank you for yet another thread hijack (with Turtle's assistance, as usual).

This only goes to show what a poor discussion venue MobileRead forums are. We really need Marvin's GitHub to reopen for business. This leads nowhere, folks. (And I'm not surprised both Jon and Turtle are strong GitHub opponents – they'd be required to talk to the point there, you see.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Where did you get this BS that ADE pages number requires proprietary code? It's just an algorithm. Anyone can write code to generate ADE page numbers. There's code in the count pages plugin that you can look at to see how ADE page numbers are calculated.

It's not switching apps as I'd be reading with Marvin on an iPad or iPhone so why would I want to then read with a different app on the same device? It's for when I want to switch to using my H2O with the book I was reading with Marvin. It's not a stop reading with Marvin and then switch right away. I might not want to read the book on my H2O until some time after I've stopped reading with Marvin.
The "BS" was a reference from another poster on one of the other threads where you are complaining about page numbers...sorry, they tend to blur together or I'd provide a link That poster had a link to something you might find interesting.

Yes, bad wording on my part, I meant switching between devices. In the grand order of all things ereading, I would suspect that switching between devices using page number is fairly low on the totem pole. Most people would just expect the app to sync the position. Which I do believe Kris is working on diligently to fix any/all errors that pop up.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The "BS" was a reference from another poster on one of the other threads where you are complaining about page numbers...sorry, they tend to blur together or I'd provide a link That poster had a link to something you might find interesting.

Yes, bad wording on my part, I meant switching between devices. In the grand order of all things ereading, I would suspect that switching between devices using page number is fairly low on the totem pole. Most people would just expect the app to sync the position. Which I do believe Kris is working on diligently to fix any/all errors that pop up.
You cannot sync between Marvin and a Kobo Reader. That's just silly to think you can. Oh and the wording is still bad to even suggest that people would expect syncing.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #27
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
You cannot sync between Marvin and a Kobo Reader. That's just silly to think you can. Oh and the wording is still bad to even suggest that people would expect syncing.
OH jeeze...will you stick to a single argument.... .... Marvin is currently only on ios....therefore any conversation about syncing with Marvin would assume using an ios device. Switching between devices using Marvin would best be done by syncing...not by swiping 157 times to get to page 157...

People do expect syncing.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
OH jeeze...will you stick to a single argument.... .... Marvin is currently only on ios....therefore any conversation about syncing with Marvin would assume using an ios device. Switching between devices using Marvin would best be done by syncing...not by swiping 157 times to get to page 157...

People do expect syncing.
Marvin already syncs the reading position among different devices running Marvin. That's not the issue. The issue is reading using Marvin and switching to something that uses ADE such as your computer, laptop, tablet, Reader, etc. They won't sync with Marvin. But if you had the same page number system that ADE uses, you can switch from Marvin to ADE no bother. You just go to the page you left off in Marvin, go to that page number ADE and you can continue reading easily.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #29
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

OK - I see that point. Although I could get the same "syncing" between apps/devices by using the TOC (built-in since I know how much you abhor html toc's) to go the the correct chapter and a couple swipes later be at the same place....or even just search on a short phrase.

Can you see my point that I'm tired of seeing this subject in EVERY FREEKIN THREAD...?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #30
alheva
alheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavensalheva is a rising star in the heavens

Device: IPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
And what have these 2 pet peeves of yours, Jon (pet peeves for many years), to do with Alheva's thread? Thank you for yet another thread hijack (with Turtle's assistance, as usual
alheva is offline   Reply With Quote