Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Can anybody recommend the Kno?

I am in bed with Adam (from Notion Ink of course...) looking around for a good reader to give my kids for highschool and junior high this fall. I have decided that since the schools won't go digital in a long time here I'll scan their text books on my book scanner and let them at least get that advantage over the rest of the kids. And I think I've finally found the correct device, the 14 inch Kno. Sounds just perfect! Except for that I can't find any real reviews! Has anybody herreceived one, and can they recommend it?
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Hi,
Was the Kno released to general public at all? I thought it was a vaporware until now.

You might want to check out Entourage Edge. Its a 9.7 dual screen reader.

Lucky you to have an Adam. Is it possible to post a review in the forums??
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
deleted-duplicate post

Last edited by rhari79; 03-28-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: duplicate post
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

According to the website it's in the hands of some of the users. But then again people who wants to sell E-readers/tablets are known for a bit of "white" lies... The Edge is useless, I think. It hasn't got enough juice to last a full school day, and that's one of the absolute necessities.

As for the Adam I'm not a reviewer, I have nothing to add to what pepole have posted around the web. But I can say that I have the PQ version, and except for the hysterically bad matte screen protector that came with it (waiting for something better) I have no problems with it at all. It's a nice unit in all respects, but I am on EdenX alternative firmware, not the original. I didn't really like that Eden launcher and the leaf system. But that's just a bit of personal preference. Anyway after the last few updates to the firmware this is a very stable unit.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
looking around for a good reader to give my kids for highschool and junior high this fall. I have decided that since the schools won't go digital in a long time here I'll scan their text books on my book scanner and let them at least get that advantage over the rest of the kids. And I think I've finally found the correct device, the 14 inch Kno. Sounds just perfect! Except for that I can't find any real reviews! Has anybody herreceived one, and can they recommend it?
Ooo.....what kind of bookscanner do you have? Is it easy to use?

I preordered one last year. It was supposed to ship on Dec 20th. Shipping has been delayed 3 times. On Feb 14th they called and said there will be another 60 day delay. On Feb. 21st, this came out. How can they promise to ship me a tablet on April 14th, when they don’t even plan to still own said tablet on April 14th? My order is still in, but I bought an iPad in the meantime.

I thought that reading large textbooks would be a problem. I have an older edition of my Anatomy & Physiology textbook on the iPad. I have noticed that when I use the GoodReader app and crop the margins, in landscape mode, the text is the exact same size at my physical book. I have to scroll, but it’s not as bad as I thought, since 2/3 of the page is on screen at any time. I also set it to continuously scroll instead of swiping right to left. I got that idea from Inkling.

I have a feeling if they do actually ship me a Kno that I won’t want to keep it. I prefer holding the iPad in landscape mode. It’s more comfortable and weighted differently, plus I keep in one of these cases, which I absolutely love, and it keeps the iPad/book propped up perfectly. So I can take physical notes while keeping the book open to a page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Hi,
Was the Kno released to general public at all? I thought it was a vaporware until now.
It is.

Quote:
According to the website it's in the hands of some of the users. But then again people who wants to sell E-readers/tablets are known for a bit of "white" lies
Yeah, something like that! Even the few employees that had them don't have them anymore.

Last edited by SolRaven; 03-30-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: put in missing hyperlinks
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

I have a Plustek Optibook 3600. So it's not of the table sized two books at a time type, but it's very good still. It has a very narrow edge beyond the glass so you don't loose anything of the book and you don't have to bend it like crazy.

Too bad that it's not out, I really liked the form factor. Would be great to read my large comic books on too (Lucky Luke, Asterix and stuff like that). Let me know if you get it and don't want it, I'll buy it from you. I mean that, seriuosly.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a Plustek Optibook 3600. So it's not of the table sized two books at a time type, but it's very good still. It has a very narrow edge beyond the glass so you don't loose anything of the book and you don't have to bend it like crazy.

Too bad that it's not out, I really liked the form factor. Would be great to read my large comic books on too (Lucky Luke, Asterix and stuff like that). Let me know if you get it and don't want it, I'll buy it from you. I mean that, seriuosly.
If I ever get it, I'll be sure to let you know and if I plan on keeping it or not.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
we don't "kno" when it'll get here

ok, sorry...*creeps off*
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

SolRaven, please do. If it works I'll buy it. Simple as that.

Wyndslash, son of son of bad joke...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The Acer Iconia is actually coming. A laptop with 2 14" screens. A similar concept, but much better.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #11
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

Sorr, but no. That doesn't seem easy to hold in a portrait position like book. So in that case I could use a regular laptop instead. Not to mention that it's criticized for having bad battery life, so I really don't think it can do the 8 hours I need. Not to mention that I have had enough Acers in my hous. The build quality really sucks!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
How is the software and how long does it take to scan say, a 200 pp. book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The Acer Iconia is actually coming. A laptop with 2 14" screens. A similar concept, but much better.
It's too cumbersome to use as a reader. I don't even like holding my netbook, which is less than 3 lbs, because of the form factor; it's not comfortable. It's funny, we learned how to touch type for computers, then touch screen keyboards came out and we have to look at the keys again. I think for that size, the only option is still the Asus EP-121, but it's short battery life takes it out of contention.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
How is the software and how long does it take to scan say, a 200 pp. book?

It's too cumbersome to use as a reader. I don't even like holding my netbook, which is less than 3 lbs, because of the form factor; it's not comfortable. It's funny, we learned how to touch type for computers, then touch screen keyboards came out and we have to look at the keys again. I think for that size, the only option is still the Asus EP-121, but it's short battery life takes it out of contention.
It seems Asus has some similar things in the pipeline, and the Dell with Windows 7 is coming out in June. And you might take a look at the Fujitsu Q550. Both will have 10.1" screens.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It seems Asus has some similar things in the pipeline, and the Dell with Windows 7 is coming out in June. And you might take a look at the Fujitsu Q550. Both will have 10.1" screens.
The Fujitsu looks promising and in the right direction but I recall reading somewhere that it's probably not going to be released in the US anytime soon and it's target will be a business platform, not that it matters.

Pen input would be a plus for me, but my main objective is to get all of my textbooks on tablet. If Inkling fills it's library, I think the iPad will completely satisfy my needs. I hope so. I like that fact that it's rather light.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #15
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

SolRaven, I haven't yet scanned any full books with it. At the moment I'm scanning parts of my comic book collection (the parts I couldn't find online), so I can sell that. Mostly the Norwegian stuff, the rest is available online. I'm downsizing, since we'll be moving in 5 years to something a lot smaller (when the youngest of the kids move out). I have tried a regular book page to check out the OCR software and it works as it should. I converted a page from a slightly difficult book with pictures and stuff, and it converted that fast and pretty accurate (one error that I could find - an l was taken for a 1 because of the font in that book) to a PDF.