Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Inkpalm 5 - 18 months in - The need for smal eReaders!

I was very happy with my Kobo Clara HD, but got an Inkpalm 5 some 18 months ago. I thought it would be a useful alternative for when I was out and about, travelling, etc.

The Inkpalm very soon became my 'always' reader. I use it all the time, and keep it in my pocket except when it is charging. My dear Kobo sits in a drawer, unused.

While I am obviously very happy with my Inkpalm, it is not perfect. I would prefer a less glossy screen, somewhat wider proportions, better battery life and, above all, not android.

I write this in the hope that the good people at Kobo, and other similar manufacturers take note. I strongly believe that there is a market for a small (5 inch or so) eReader. My personal ideal would be a shrunk down version of the Clara 2e, with an HD E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen, at 64GB of storage, adjustable warmth and brighness frontlight. and a 1GHz CPU. The device should be waterproof, and run the standard Kobo firmware. Battery life should be such that it could be used some 4 hours a day for at least one week before charging. Basically it would be the 'new Kobo Mini'.

If Kobo, or another company would produce this I would be happy to pay £100 or so for it.

Last edited by jlynton; 02-26-2023 at 06:19 AM.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 05:01 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I read with this device exclusively on the go and always have it with me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
While I am obviously very happy with my Inkpalm, it is not perfect.
I don't know what could bother me
Quote:
I would prefer a less glossy screen,
There are matte screen films
Quote:
somewhat wider proportions,
They fit perfectly so I can use the scroll keys with one hand
Quote:
better battery life
I have power outlets at home
Quote:
and, above all, not android.
This is exactly what allows me to manage my 17,000 books via Calibre Companion and read them via AlReader and sync them to larger devices at home.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:25 AM   #3
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Largely agree with OP, the Inkpalm is my favourite all-round reader despite owning many readers (most of which are much more expensive).

'I would prefer a less glossy screen' This is the main issue with the Inkpalm, I wish it just had the bare e-ink with no additional screens over the top. Would be much nicer to use when there's a lot of ambient light.

'somewhat wider proportions' I'd actually prefer a smaller screen. The smaller P47 screen is the best so far for me. Even smaller (e.g. Corogoo) is fine by me too but that's getting quite extreme.

'better battery life' I don't care, I plug mine in when I have a shower every day and that's enough to read a few hours every day. Would prefer to sacrifice battery for lower weight. The P47L and particularly the Corogoo are much more comfortable to hold for long reading sessions.

'above all, not android' I'm happy with android. The software available on the InkPalm is much better than the other current smaller pocket readers (P47L, Corogoo).

'There are matte screen films'
They further reduce sharpness

I'd be happy to pay the price of a new iPhone for a great pocket reader. So much higher price point than any current model:
- Thin metal front so raised bezel is very thin
- Under 100g weight (5" Inkpalm is 115g, I made a 3" pocket reader that's 42g)
- 4" greyscale 300dpi screen
- Bare e-ink screen surface (the only reader that's ever had a good flush front surface is the Kindle Voyage with micro-etched glass)
- Don't care much about battery life as long as it lasts a day
- Don't care much about OS as long as the basic reading functionality is good
- Ability to use Literata font, left justified
- Silent and ergonomic next page button
- Don't care if it's touchscreen
- Warm light with a low minimum setting and evenly spread across screen
- USB-C
- Don't care much about storage, 1GB is enough
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:31 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
'There are matte screen films'
They further reduce sharpness
However, this difference is minimal, especially how I use it, as a device only for on the go - in this case the matte screen film is important.
As main devices I use larger than 7 inches.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just got one, and I have a couple questions.

1, What is the trick to get out of the web browser and other apps?

2, Is there a way to change the interface so it is in English?

EDIT: I just now learned that the logo is also the back button.

Last edited by Nate the great; 06-28-2023 at 07:40 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
k_o
k_o began at the beginning.

Device: inkpalm
just got one—has anyone been able to update 'system web view' on it?
i sideloaded a few apps (obsidian, brilliant) that require a newer version.
k_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:41 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Got my inkpalm 5 pro a while back. removed pretty much all the Chinese apps (via android and ADB). Using koreader, which launches fine, and just using it for epubs so being android is a non-issue.

The size is great. hot tip: put it in landscape mode. it's easy to turn pages while holding it with one hand using the buttons. It's always in my pocket against my phone.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote