Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Divergent Series - 4 books - $5 at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Ult...al-text&sr=1-2

I read the first of these and (I believe the movie). Kind of lost interest. But for those who like these, this looks like a pretty good deal.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I thought this might be interesting, until the author - on the very first digital page - used the "old mirror method to describe her character". (Fourth paragraph for anyone who may be interested.)

So that gave me an idea, you see, to have all my characters - only in one specific story that I'm working on - to always carry mirrors in their back pockets for just such an occasion. Or else I could have the forest populated with hanging mirrors, so the elves could shave without accidentally slitting their throats. BUT WAIT: If it's an urban fantasy, I could have mirrors all over the house - tinkling, subversive mirrors turning and twisting in the air-conditioned environment, distorting the world and the characters.

Sound like a good idea?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-19-2021 at 07:54 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I tried to read this series a few years ago. By the time I got to the end of the first book, I didn't care one whit about any of the characters. So I stopped reading. Life is too short for boring books.

I think we watched the first movie too, but it left no impression on me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So that gave me an idea, you see, to have all my characters - only in one specific story that I'm working on - to always carry mirrors in their back pockets for just such an occasion. Or else I could have the forest populated with hanging mirrors, so the elves could shave without accidentally slitting their throats. BUT WAIT: If it's an urban fantasy, I could have mirrors all over the house - tinkling, subversive mirrors turning and twisting in the air-conditioned environment, distorting the world and the characters.
Characters lost in a hall of mirrors, giving them a chance to describe themselves in detail, front and back.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if this and the Narnia omnibus are some sort of sale timed with going back to school? I wonder of there are other YA omnibuses on sale as well?

His Dark Materials is a no
Old 08-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Characters lost in a hall of mirrors, giving them a chance to describe themselves in detail, front and back.
Already written:

He gathered resolve and entered the room. Surrounding him were mirrors of all shapes and sizes - fun-house mirrors, tall mirrors, diamond-shaped mirrors, mirrors that squeezed him into a tiny ball of flesh and spat him out, defying both logic and comprehension. His features elongated as he pirouetted left and right, as he confronted himself over and over again, the images in the mirrors holding serrated knives dripping blood as he screamed. A multitude of men entered the room, all resembling himself in some fashion, all dressed in shabby clothes. He realized they were the men from the diner. They grinned and capered and danced around him as he swung the knife, eliciting shocked surprise and cries of pain. The cuts on his arms and legs poured crimson as he continued to stab himself, feeling pain and something new he had not experienced in a long time. If he had to categorize it, a tiny part of his mind rationalized, he would describe it as release. Yes, it was a feeling of release.

He grinned at everyone, and they grinned back.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Already written:

He gathered resolve and entered the room. Surrounding him were mirrors of all shapes and sizes - fun-house mirrors, tall mirrors, diamond-shaped mirrors, mirrors that squeezed him into a tiny ball of flesh and spat him out, defying both logic and comprehension. His features elongated as he pirouetted left and right, as he confronted himself over and over again, the images in the mirrors holding serrated knives dripping blood as he screamed. A multitude of men entered the room, all resembling himself in some fashion, all dressed in shabby clothes. He realized they were the men from the diner. They grinned and capered and danced around him as he swung the knife, eliciting shocked surprise and cries of pain. The cuts on his arms and legs poured crimson as he continued to stab himself, feeling pain and something new he had not experienced in a long time. If he had to categorize it, a tiny part of his mind rationalized, he would describe it as release. Yes, it was a feeling of release.

He grinned at everyone, and they grinned back.
Unfortunately, it's missing "He saw his narrow face reflected back, almost gaunt with sharp cheekbones. Hazel eyes shone beneath a shock of too long brown hair, light glinting off his sole, silver earring.

His Def Leppard t-shirt was reversed in the mirror, and his torn, worn jeans and old boots."
Old 08-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Potential sequel names:

Redundant ...
Redolent ...
Regurgant ...
Repugnant ...
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I had the same thought, and tried searching a bit by publisher, and with keywords Ultimate Collection and Complete Collection, and sorting by price, and so on, but I didn't find anything else. I definitely didn't look exhaustively, but I did try. It was a nice thought - the Narnia one is a great deal if you don't already have them, and aren't in Canada - they are usually $8.99 and $9.99 in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wonder if this and the Narnia omnibus are some sort of sale timed with going back to school? I wonder of there are other YA omnibuses on sale as well?

His Dark Materials is a no
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #10
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
I thought this might be interesting, until the author - on the very first digital page - used the "old mirror method to describe her character". (Fourth paragraph for anyone who may be interested.)

Sound like a good idea?
How about a fantasy world where a spell the character casts goes awry causing them to be constantly surrounded by magic mirrors that reflect them and everyone around them? They'd be intangible, because they're magic, but still show reflections.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
How about a fantasy world where a spell the character casts goes awry causing them to be constantly surrounded by magic mirrors that reflect them and everyone around them? They'd be intangible, because they're magic, but still show reflections.

That sounds good, as well.

BUT WAIT! (There's more!):

A story that uses imagination and creativity, instead of the 'handy mirror' gambit. And then, to top it off (this is a horror story, right?), all lazy authors are targeted by a 'creative madman' (labelled as such by the news media), who systematically begins murdering all lazy authors in the world who used mirrors to describe their characters. (Being a creative sort of madman, he wears a suit of mirrors so these lazy-assed authors can actually SEE their imminent demise!)