Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 03:12 AM   #1
Pale
Pale began at the beginning.

Device: None
Could I get an e-book reader recommendation?

Hey everyone,

First of all, I would like to apologize for my previous post on the InkPad and Inkpad Pro. I was only looking at the hardware without considering everything else. I will try to be more specific in this post. Just starting off by saying that my budget is ~$300.

I am currently doing my thesis, so I am mainly reading academic papers (on PDF, as I have the books that vary from 1 MB to 140+ MBs). I suppose a more powerful reader would be a better choice.

To clarify, I am thinking of something that is 7''+ at a maximum of 8'', as I plan on carrying it around with me, so a more portable option is definitely a plus.

Furthermore, I plan on only using the e-reader as one, meaning that I will only be reading books on it with the addition of using the dictionary if need be.

I live in Bulgaria and the E-Book readers I can find here(Since importing would both take too long and the import taxes would hurt) are as follows:

1. Amazon
2. Kobo
3. Pocketbook
4. Prestigio
5. Onyx

Having nice lights, as well as color adjustment being a huge plus. Thank you so much to everyone here!
Pale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you are going to be mainly reading academic PDFs and given your budget, I would suggest that you look at an Android tablet rather than an ereader (eInk screen). I'd also suggest a larger screen. PDFs are page oriented and in your area likely to be formatted for an A4 paper size so an ~10 inch screen would give a better reading experience.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are going to be mainly reading academic PDFs and given your budget, I would suggest that you look at an Android tablet rather than an ereader (eInk screen). I'd also suggest a larger screen. PDFs are page oriented and in your area likely to be formatted for an A4 paper size so an ~10 inch screen would give a better reading experience.
+1. There's also the Microsoft Surface.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Pale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thank you for your response! I have also thought of that, but I thought that having an e-ink reader would be way better for my eyes, as well as for way fewer distractions, as I plan on being focused while reading. I think that 7''8' would be good enough, as I don't mind changing pages more frequently.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I believe that 10" eink ereaders do exist. I've never looked into eink readers of that size, so can't make any recommendations.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
A quick google found this (it's a bit out of date)

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-and-notepads/
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
+1. There's also the Microsoft Surface.
Not so sure about a Surface on a $300 budget. But you can get a decent Android tablet for that.

For reading primarily PDF, I, like the others, recommend a tablet.

If you simply MUST have an e-ink device, check out a Kobo Forma. Not sure about local pricing, but here in the States a Forma would fit your budget. It also has a large screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Amazon Fire 10" Handles PDF Grrreat! As for the eyes when reading no problem you can Adjust light Background Color Fonts Size ... Anything you want or need to.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I second that. Get a cheap 10 inch tablet and a 6 or 7 inch eink reader
Tablet does pdf, colour comics, text books. Reader does stories, works in sunlight, waterproof if you pick that option...

Ps I have both a forma and have 10 inch tablets. There is close to twice as much actual screen area on the tablets
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale View Post
Thank you for your response! I have also thought of that, but I thought that having an e-ink reader would be way better for my eyes, as well as for way fewer distractions, as I plan on being focused while reading. I think that 7''8' would be good enough, as I don't mind changing pages more frequently.
PDFs are a fixed page layout. With a small tablet you won't be changing pages more frequently, you'll be zooming and squinting.

I third the rec for a 10 inch or larger tablet.

Unless you already have eye problems from looking at phone/tablet screens, you're not going to suddenly develop mysterious "eye issues". Keep the brightness comfortably low, remember to blink, and arrange your screen colours/background comfortably.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:01 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale View Post
The problem is that most PDFs do not reflow so you end up either scrolling up/down and left/right to read the page or looking at a very small page which can be rather hard to read (at least for my aging eyes).

As for whether eInk is better for your eyes? There is no conclusive evidence either way. I personally prefer eInk but that's not evidence.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:40 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Like everyone else I'd recommend a 10" tablet for PDF's. Any other device will get cumbersome VERY fast. There are high resolution android tablets that offer a 4:3 ratio that is great for reading. I've had one in 8 inches that had a resolution like the IPad mini and the 4:3 ratio made it perfect for reading. The 8" were nice to do some forum reading, but were to small to have fun reading newspapers, magzines or PDF's. There should be similar devices in 10", too.

If you are set on buying a large e-ink reader take a look at the Pocketbook X. It is 10", has a good availability in your country, but is considerably more expensive than your budget will afford you. It is around 450€ here in Germany.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Pale

Hello there everyone,

I went to a store that sells e-readers in my country and I have to admit that I was wrong. 10''+ inch e-readers would be the best options as many have suggested. I will be looking into it from here on out.

Thank you all for helping me out with recommendations!

I love you all!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Even with a 10" it is a good idea to use landscape mode if supported. This will allow full page width and you can scroll down to get the rest of the page. A 10" screen will have a bit over 8" wide display when turned horizontally which will allow nearly full size.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote