Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #1
robodelfy
robodelfy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite pw2
Kindle Paperwhite PW2 screen unresponsive, how to factory reset?

Hi

My kindle paperwhite has just frozen for some reason. I have tried soft resetting over and over, but no part of the screen works.

How can I try a factory reset if touching the screen doesnt work? Ive been googling for ages!

Thanks
robodelfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
On your computer create an empty text file and remove the ending of the file name so it simply says DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
Connect your kindle to the computer and transfer this file to the kindle. Don't place into any folders on the kindle.
Disconnect the kindle. Then press and hold power 30-40 seconds so it reboots. As it reboots it will perform a factory reset.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
robodelfy

After posting I found a thread that said that, so i tried it, and it did factory reset but then the screen still didnt work. I couldnt select a language! A shame as I thought it would work.

Any idas what would be the next step? Taking it apart?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Buy a new one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
robodelfy

There is no hope of fixing it? Im fairly handy with electronics
Old 11-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodelfy View Post
There is no hope of fixing it? Im fairly handy with electronics
You can try serial port.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
robodelfy

Could you explain more, what do you mean?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Could you explain more, what do you mean?
Try charging it on a wall charger for a minimum of 24 hours. Sometimes that works.
If that fails follow that link and ask in that sub-forum.

Go here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

Otherwise I don't know what good opening it would do.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 11-28-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #9
redhen
redhen began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Quote:
After posting I found a thread that said that, so i tried it, and it did factory reset but then the screen still didnt work. I couldnt select a language! A shame as I thought it would work.

Any idas what would be the next step? Taking it apart?

Thanks
I have the exact problem. Have you found a solution yet short of buying a new one?
redhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #10
kwadz
kwadz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Same problem

Same problem with my PW2. I was able to force the factory reset by creating the file via a USB connection to my PC, but I'm also stuck on the languages screen since my touchscreen is unresponsive as well. I bought mine on Prime Day, just over a month ago, so Amazon is telling me that I have to send it back for warranty service and they'll determine what to do from there. This is really scaring me that it's a common problem and may recur on a replacement device! Anyone know anything more about it?
kwadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
redhen
redhen began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
After I have replaced my non-responsive Kindle PW in July the exact problem came back on my new Kindle. This time I asked for a refund and will unlikely to use Kindle again. I am now looking for a new new E-Reader. Anyone can recommend one that is like the PW? TIA.
I was so hopeful that the new replacement that I bought recently would give me no problem but it is like get strike by lightening twice at the same spot!
redhen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle paperwhite