Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Calibre Metadata and Kindle paperwhite 4

Hello:

Other than the book's title and author, what Kindle paperwhite 4 metadata can be transferred from a Calibre library?

I mean: without changing the title to something other than the book's name; for instance, I am aware that there are automated ways to, say, change de title to something like <series name> <series index> - <original title>.

If not directly with Calibre to Kindle, are there other software tools to be used to populate the Kindle book's metadata with Calibre library?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Unfortunately the Kindle software doesn't support series information, tags or really anything other than title and author. Unless you want to jailbreak, your only option is to use Calibre metadata plugboards and change the title.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
There is a roundabout way to get your Calibre info to your Kindle. Create a calibre catalog of all the books on your device, with all the custom information you want. Then put the catalog on the Kindle. And next time, instead of browsing the books themselves, browse the catalog when you want information about a book.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Iirc, the Kindle does not keep a database of book metadata. For purchased books, it just gets the book information from the Amazon website.

As @Sirtel mentioned, short of embedding metadata in title or author, best you can do is create a MOBI catalog in Calibre and use that to browse for books.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The only other useful piece of metadata is what collections a book belongs to. These are categories similar to calibre tags. There is a way to transfer this type of data from calibre to a Kindle using a calibre plugin in conjunction with added software on the Kindle that requires it to be jailbroken. I don’t do this myself so I don’t know all of the details.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #6
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Post Calibre Metadata and Kindle paperwhite 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The only other useful piece of metadata is what collections a book belongs to. These are categories similar to calibre tags. There is a way to transfer this type of data from calibre to a Kindle using a calibre plugin in conjunction with added software on the Kindle that requires it to be jailbroken. I don’t do this myself so I don’t know all of the details.
ilovejedd mentioned this to me in another thread.

Apparently, there is currently no other option than, according to ilovejedd:
  1. Jailbreaking the Kindle Paperwhite 4: there's one available for PW4 with fw5.10.0.1/5.10.0.2; just prevent it from auto updating after the jailbreak.
  2. Install KUAL with LibrarianSync add-on on the Kindle Paperwhite 4.
  3. Manage collections with Calibre via the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin.

(sigh)

Thanks again for your patience an the information. I was trying to see if there were any more options... but at least there are some options. I'll now check if I can manage to use said options: I'd glady receive any pointers to tutorials or instructions on that regard.

Again, I remain very gratefully yours,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 02-10-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Adding URL links, minor typo
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle paperwhite, metadata