Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Kindle Appears to have Died :-(

I was downloading a sample, and continuing to go through the Kindle Store. Then it froze. I kept the slider button across to the right (It went green).

Started to reboot. Halfway done, and it froze again, then the screen went blank.
Charged it on the mains for several hours - nothing on the screen.

Plugged into PC: Nothing picked up.

I think it's had its chips
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You tried resetting the Kindle again? Slide and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then release.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I would let it charge a few more hours, then try just turning it on, if that fails try another reset. If still no luck give Kindle CS a call, they will sort it for you
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
andavane
Zealot

Thanks folfs!
Sliding the button ad holding it hasn't worked. It's charging now.
It worries me that when plugged in, the screen is quite blank.
The orange charging light is on though!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And I was sooooo, loving it!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
andavane
Zealot

Dead Kindle ~ Update

It charged until the light turned green.

Still not a dicky bird.

I thonk it's a goner.
Calling CS tomorrow.
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
CS works Sundays, no need to wait for a weekday.

When I dropped my K2 I called them at 9:30 on a Sunday night and they shipped out a replacement right away.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
You tried resetting the Kindle again? Slide and hold the power button for 15 seconds and then release.
Kindle support work 24/7, thats what they told me. The same thing happened to me, I think the Kindle can't do multiple things at once. I was told by KS to hold the slider back for 20 seconds, and then leave it 10 seconds and the Kindle would flash a bit and then restart.

It worked for me.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

yeah try another reset, holding longer now its charged, worth a final try .

Good Luck!!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
babyd
Addict

oh and make sure its unplugged when you reset as it wont work while plugged in
Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
andavane
Zealot

To everybody

(After recharge + green light, I held slider over for 20 seconds, then released and waited)

Last edited by andavane; 09-05-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
pen_sq
Enthusiast
pen_sq began at the beginning.

Device: none
One other possibility is to hold the switch for 20s to power it off, and then plug it into your PC. Flip the switch again to make sure it tries to turn on, and maybe it'll start up as a USB drive before it scans some fatally corrupted file. At which point, you could give the Kindle a nice clean format, and redownload your books.
pen_sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pen_sq View Post
One other possibility is to hold the switch for 20s to power it off, and then plug it into your PC. Flip the switch again to make sure it tries to turn on, and maybe it'll start up as a USB drive before it scans some fatally corrupted file. At which point, you could give the Kindle a nice clean format, and redownload your books.
Yes this exact thing happened with my Sony Reader where there was indeed a corrupted file. I actually ended up deleting the file in frustration (not recommending you do this but I really thought the device was totally dead anyway) and I did get it to work again - before selling it not long after because the constant crashes did my head in. At least Amazon are working on a fix for the restarts and freezes etc.

Anyway I hope you get the problem resolved quickly.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon VERY RELIABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
It charged until the light turned green.

Still not a dicky bird.

I thonk it's a goner.
Calling CS tomorrow.
Go to the Amazon help site. Key in your phone number and they call you back immediately.

Mine went into continuous resets every time I turned it on I had taken it for a long walk and the motion killled it. After it was stable it worked fine.

However, the purpose of this gadget is to use it WHILE TRAVELING. It has to take motion.

I contacted Amazon and they are sending me a replacement with one day shipping.

THANK YOU AMAZON !

For anyone else with a new K3 WiFi these are my Lot attributes:

First 10 digits of serial number: B008A0A003
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

However, this problem could be random in all lots as well.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #14
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've had the worrying appearance of being bricked twice (and innumerable crash-reboots). It seems that this firmware has something very flaky in it - which is unfortunate given how stable the previous releases were. I've had to do long reset twice. You have to hold the button until the LED winks, then wait a bit more, release, and you should see the eink screen flash. If not, try it again.

Hopefully, they will be prompt in fixing this.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Based on the emoticon in his last post I think he's got it sorted out and an update is pending.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote