Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
breannanoahmason
breannanoahmason began at the beginning.

Device: none
trying to decide what to buy

Hi my name is Jennifer, I already have a regular keyboard kindle. I do like it but am thinking i would like a kindle fire or nook color. But i am not sure which to get. A perk to getting a nook is that my sister in law load all her nook books on my hubby's laptop. So there are 600 books on there and of those there are 35 of them i know for sure i would like to read. To buy those it would probably cost me over $200 to buy them. And some are not available at the library.

So give me you pros and cons of both and your honest opinion.

Jennifer
breannanoahmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
I seem to recall hearing somewhere that there was a way to install the nook reading app onto the kindle fire without even hacking it. If that is true then you could get the kindle and still read the nook books you want.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
If the books are DRM free you could load them into calibre and convert them to the kindle format.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If you live in the US - starting tomorrow (05 Feb), Walmart will be offering the Kindle Fire for $199 plus a free $50 gift card, making it $149. That's an excellent price.

You can view the ad online, but I believe it's an in-store only offer. Not sure though.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
If the books are DRM free you could load them into calibre and convert them to the kindle format.
One of Kindle's limitations is the ability to handle a variety of formats. If a person is content to be tethered to Amazon (and for paper books, I love them! Not so much for ebooks ) then Kindle is --as I understand it-- a very good quality piece of hardware.

Since you already have a Kindle, it might be wise to explore the rest of the e-reader universe. But what spindlegirl said is right on: so long as DRM isn't involved, it is easy as making tea to convert other formats to .mobi to read on your kindle, using the "Most Excellent" Calibre ebook database & format conversion program.

We have a whole forum section on Calibre and all its different functions. Please check it out.

Bottom line: you're wise to ask and research first --instead of buying something on impulse, and trying to figure out how to get satisfaction after the fact.
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
breannanoahmason
breannanoahmason began at the beginning.

Device: none
I download calibre to my computer and converted my first epub book and it is now on my kindle keyboard. Now to decide if i still want to buy a kindle fire. I really want it for the apps, I have a 3 yr old and would love to put the learning apps on there. I have looked at other tablets, but really not sure which one would be the best for the price of 149.00.
breannanoahmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
IMHO you need to consider what you want, I mean do you want just a e reader or do you want something to surf the internet with and maybe play games.

With anything color your gonna need to do a recharge more often. With my nook touch I can get about 5 or 6 novels done before a recharge.

With the Kindle reader I imagine you can get about the same amount. I always suggest check you tube for reviews of the products. Find which one works best for you.

In the end the Nook Touch worked best for what I wanted in a reader.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Norine
Norine began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
whats the difference between the nook color and the new nook tablet?
Norine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norine View Post
whats the difference between the nook color and the new nook tablet?
The nook tab is a lot faster (800 MHz single core/512MB RAM vs. 1 GHz dual core/1 GB RAM), better battery life and twice the memory.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote