Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Amazon Support Home Runs Again!

Is it all right to say, a second time, that I *LOVE* Amazon's support?

Yes, I do! I got a second damaged-screen-but-still-under-warranty K2 from a friend who found out the hard way that airport baggage handlers are BRUTAL - especially around the (US) Thanksgiving holidays. Well, he decided he'd rather have a Nook so he took his insurance money and gave me the damaged unit. I just got off the phone with Amazon's Kindle support and my SECOND replacement K2 is on its way!

Yes. Yes. It is wonderful that Bookeen released the firmware updates - my 64MB Gen3 is running V1.5 right now, but I'm now a two K2 owner and quite pleased! What a Christmas gift!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Great news! I had broken my Sony 505 screen, but opted to buy a Kindle 2 as a replacement. I've treated it much, much more gently now that I know they can be fairly fragile.

Quote:
...a friend who found out the hard way that airport baggage handlers are BRUTAL - especially around the (US) Thanksgiving holidays.
Just to stick up for the Airport Ramp workers of the world, it really isn't the easiest job. Not only are you lifting a few thousand bags a day, those suckers are heavy! Imagine how hard it is just lugging 1 or 2 of your own bags around an airport, then think about doing that for EVERYONE on the plane, over and over all day long.

Then of course you get the jokers who somehow manage to pack 85 pounds of luggage into a tiny little shoulder bag, and you nearly bust a gut lifting it when you expect something light. Or my favorite, the "late check-in" passengers, who have bags coming out to the plane a minute before it's due to push, and you have to scramble to open the cargo doors back up and get it on board.

I know chuckin' bags is just "grunt" work, but we do try to be as easy as possible on the luggage. Well most of us. But having inside knowledge of the entire journey a bag makes, even before it ever reaches our hands, I can honestly recommend never packing anything overly expensive or fragile in luggage. We just don't often have the luxury of enough time or energy to treat things with kid-gloves.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Why anyone would put a Kindle, or most other electronic devices, in checked luggage is out of my comprehension. I pack everything that can't be easily broken, and what I can't board with, in the checked. I then have a small case for all the electronics that stays with me, in sight at all times. Never had anything broken or stolen and I used to travel for a living.

Congrats on the Christmas present!
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's Christmas time, show your friend Die Hard 2. Most of the baggage in the beginning of that movie could have been mine at one point.

And just for the record, Die Hard IS a Christmas movie.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
Great news! I had broken my Sony 505 screen, but opted to buy a Kindle 2 as a replacement. I've treated it much, much more gently now that I know they can be fairly fragile.

Just to stick up for the Airport Ramp workers of the world, it really isn't the easiest job. Not only are you lifting a few thousand bags a day, those suckers are heavy! Imagine how hard it is just lugging 1 or 2 of your own bags around an airport, then think about doing that for EVERYONE on the plane, over and over all day long.

Then of course you get the jokers who somehow manage to pack 85 pounds of luggage into a tiny little shoulder bag, and you nearly bust a gut lifting it when you expect something light. Or my favorite, the "late check-in" passengers, who have bags coming out to the plane a minute before it's due to push, and you have to scramble to open the cargo doors back up and get it on board.

I know chuckin' bags is just "grunt" work, but we do try to be as easy as possible on the luggage. Well most of us. But having inside knowledge of the entire journey a bag makes, even before it ever reaches our hands, I can honestly recommend never packing anything overly expensive or fragile in luggage. We just don't often have the luxury of enough time or energy to treat things with kid-gloves.
I'm quite sure that he would *never* overpack a piece of luggage. Now me, that's another story.

Derek
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Why anyone would put a Kindle, or most other electronic devices, in checked luggage is out of my comprehension. I pack everything that can't be easily broken, and what I can't board with, in the checked. I then have a small case for all the electronics that stays with me, in sight at all times. Never had anything broken or stolen and I used to travel for a living.

Congrats on the Christmas present!
I agree. I have a short list of criteria for what goes in the carry-on:

It is something I can't do without for a day if luggage gets misplaced. This includes stuff like medications or any work stuff I might need. I also have the basic toiletries and a couple articles of clothing so I can go a day or two without shopping. Replacing stuff is a pain.

It is something that is likely to get damaged or possibly even stolen (rare, but it happens) out of the checked bag. This includes most electronics like my laptop, camera and Kindle as well as jewelry.

It is something I want during the flight. This is another category where the Kindle fits. I can't imagine sitting through a flight without it!
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I agree. I have a short list of criteria for what goes in the carry-on:

It is something I can't do without for a day if luggage gets misplaced. This includes stuff like medications or any work stuff I might need. I also have the basic toiletries and a couple articles of clothing so I can go a day or two without shopping. Replacing stuff is a pain.

It is something that is likely to get damaged or possibly even stolen (rare, but it happens) out of the checked bag. This includes most electronics like my laptop, camera and Kindle as well as jewelry.

It is something I want during the flight. This is another category where the Kindle fits. I can't imagine sitting through a flight without it!

Well, when *I* finally get fit enough to travel again, I *totally* plan to put all my delicate electronics devices into thin-walled check-in luggage and then scream bloody blue murder when any of it gets lost or damaged. I mean, if you can't have fun with airlines, what's the point of living?

Derek
Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I agree -- I would no more put a Kindle in a checked bag than I would a laptop, camera, or any other delicate electronic device. It's just asking for trouble.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well, when *I* finally get fit enough to travel again, I *totally* plan to put all my delicate electronics devices into thin-walled check-in luggage and then scream bloody blue murder when any of it gets lost or damaged. I mean, if you can't have fun with airlines, what's the point of living?

Derek
My daughter, when still in high school, flew up here to visit me, and checked her French Horn. Naturally, it didn't make it to this end, and we had to deal with the lost luggage dept. I must admit, however, that after they found it (which was within 12 hours), they delivered it clear out to the house (which is two and a half hours from the airport), instead of making us drive back out to Chicago Midway to get it. I thought she was going to kiss the delivery guy.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote