Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
mikiwoo
mikiwoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Angry Kobo Aura HD - Error: Communicating with Device

I am pretty much clueless on what is wrong with calibre right now. I tried using different USB cables, ports and whatnot but alas, no luck. I am able to send books onto my device but I am unable to get the list of books already on my device. What should I do?

This is the error I receive:

Quote:
calibre, version 2.63.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 503, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1659, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

mikiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That error should mean the database file cannot be found. The driver is looking for a file on the device called "KoboReader.sqlite". This is in the directory ".kobo" on the device. Can you see that file using the OS? I think you are using Windows, so can you see files on the device using explorer?

It might also happen if the device is somehow mounted read-only. Can you copy a file to the device using explorer?

Also, what version of Windows are you running? There have been some problems reported with Kobo devices with the recent Windows 10 preview versions. They don't match this report, but maybe MS has fixed some problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
mikiwoo
mikiwoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That error should mean the database file cannot be found. The driver is looking for a file on the device called "KoboReader.sqlite". This is in the directory ".kobo" on the device. Can you see that file using the OS? I think you are using Windows, so can you see files on the device using explorer?

It might also happen if the device is somehow mounted read-only. Can you copy a file to the device using explorer?

Also, what version of Windows are you running? There have been some problems reported with Kobo devices with the recent Windows 10 preview versions. They don't match this report, but maybe MS has fixed some problems.

Thanks for the reply! I am using Windows 10. Yeah, you're right - I can't find that either files (I checked the 'Show hidden files') on the device using explorer. Are there places where I could copy that file onto the device?

Last edited by mikiwoo; 07-27-2016 at 10:00 AM.
mikiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiwoo View Post
Thanks for the reply! I am using Windows 10. Yeah, you're right - I can't find that either files (I checked the 'Show hidden files') on the device using explorer. Are there places where I could copy that file onto the device?
Unless you have recent backups of the database, you cannot create them. The database is created by the device when you login. And then maintained as you add books and read them. necessary for the device to work.

The real question is what is going on. Is the device still running OK? If so, the database is there but hidden. If you lose the reading status when you restart the device, then it means the database is corrupt and needs to be fixed. At the worst, the device might find it can't read the database at all and prompt you to do the setup again.

Something to try is another computer. Windows 10 should be OK, unless you are running the preview. Checking on another computer would help to work out if it is the device or the computer.

If nothing works, you will probably need to do a factory reset. That should fix everything. But you will have to do the setup again and sideload your books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote