Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Where did the iPod nano apps go?

I love my iPod nanos. About all I use them for is listening to audiobooks but yesterday I went looking on iTunes for a kitchen timer for my 5th Generation nano and I couldn't find anything. Not that there were no timers, there were no apps for any nano.

Does anyone know what happened to the apps? I realize the newer nanos can't use the click wheel apps, but there were hundreds of them and there are millions of nanos still in service. Why would they take them off of iTunes?

I should add that the 5G used to be able to use the same apps as the 4G nano.

Last edited by 6charlong; 03-25-2013 at 11:14 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Apple periodically stops supporting its devices... I suspect they want you to get something else, if you want apps
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Planned obsolescence. A business plan Jobs picked up from the Detroit car empires that have now crumbled. In Apple's case they simply plan to quit supporting older devices, whereas in Detroit they built crap that would fall apart in a few years. Either way the consumer keeps coming back to buy the latest, greatest device/car.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
They removed them in late 2011. They still support them in your library though, one of the first things that I noticed in iTunes 11 even. When you downloaded them though, it clearly said to back them up. That was the old policy then, and still stands for that particular content.

That's complete BS about Apple not supporting it though. Every single iPod ever made is supported by iTunes 11 (I use it with a 3rd generation iPod). They can cut off the software update, but they can't keep you from syncing your own hardware.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple keeps surprising me, in both ways. I was going to buy a new one until I learned there's no speaker anymore (perhaps to make it thinner?). Oh well, maybe the next generation.

Thanks for the information.
Advert
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
TBH, I'm pretty sure the Nano 5th gen was the only Nano to have a built-in speaker, perhaps because of the video capture/playback feature??
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
TBH, I'm pretty sure the Nano 5th gen was the only Nano to have a built-in speaker, perhaps because of the video capture/playback feature??
Yeah, this was the case. For the video capture only. I'm not sure if it actually did play audio out.

The current one doesn't have a speaker, but I like it more for that reason. It's very annoying to unplug your headphones by accident and have things blasting out.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
alphysudaria143
alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alphysudaria143 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Every update of apple products is very awesome. Like iphones and ipads they're both example of apples products thats surprise me every now and then.

Cheers for the apple company!
alphysudaria143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose, OP, you already had apps on your Nano? If you did, they should still be in your account on the store.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Yeah, this was the case. For the video capture only. I'm not sure if it actually did play audio out.

The current one doesn't have a speaker, but I like it more for that reason. It's very annoying to unplug your headphones by accident and have things blasting out.
If it was anything like their iOS devices, the audio would automatically pause when the headphones are unplugged.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I suppose, OP, you already had apps on your Nano? If you did, they should still be in your account on the store.
Unfortunately any media that has been removed from the iTunes store, like all digital stores, cannot be redownloaded.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard

Damn. Nasty. Theres an argument right there for keeping backups of *everything*
Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker

Thanks to everyone, this has been a help. It is apparent that I need to get an iPod Touch (and back my apps). I was hoping to get the old Nano to work for a bit longer if for no other reason than because there are rumors of an Apple announcement coming up this summer, so possibly a newer generation iPod Touch. I don't know if I want to wait though.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

*Deleted*
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Thanks to everyone, this has been a help. It is apparent that I need to get an iPod Touch (and back my apps). I was hoping to get the old Nano to work for a bit longer if for no other reason than because there are rumors of an Apple announcement coming up this summer, so possibly a newer generation iPod Touch. I don't know if I want to wait though.

Anyway, thanks again.
iPod Touch most likely won't get an upgrade. They will just get rid of the 4th generation and then introduce 16GB models.