Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite and WiFi connectivity problems

I just received my new Paperwhite through the post here in the UK and it's having some definite problems. First of all, it wouldn't recognise my WiFi password. I googled for advice and found just restarting it should do the trick. That worked just fine, and it connected without problems.

Then it got weird. It started spontaneously rebooting a couple of times. Now it won't recognise ANY WiFi networks around where I live, let alone mine. When I bring up Settings > WiFi Networks, it shows 0 networks available, and when I try and bring up the WiFi panel by tapping on the screen, the 'Rescan' button is greyed out.

And, yes, I have tried restarting my modem, at least once. Guess I might have to try again.

Any ideas? Or is it a lemon?
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
First do a full, overnight charge. Then hold the on/off button off for 30 seconds to re-boot it.

If there still are problems, deregister it and then re-register it at the Amazon site.

If nothing works, deregister it, do a factory reset and send it back for a refund and then order a new one in a month.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Well, it started spontaneously rebooting over and over again without my even touching it, so I gave up and asked for a replacement, which will (maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe the situation is different in the UK) arrive on Monday. I wonder if perhaps they keep a reserve of machines back to replace those that are defective?

I will, however, keep a note of your advice in case there are problems with the second Kindle. Thanks for the tips.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote