Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
firefoxpdm
firefoxpdm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
Directory contents & opening books through kindlets

Hi, does anyone have any idea how can I get the full content of the /mnt/us/documents directory? I need to get this info into a kindlet. I tried the ctx.getHomeDir, creating a File object and getting the list of files and executing ls as a Runtime Process, but every time I run into an Access Denied error message.

My second question is, if I have the location and name of a book, how can I make the kindle open it in the default viewer?
firefoxpdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
kindle3zeng
Enthusiast
kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kindle3zeng once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3wifi
You're not supposed to access the files outside your application's directory.
kindle3zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
firefoxpdm

Yes, i realized that, but do I have any options if I want to go around this within the kindlets' boundaries?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
firefoxpdm

I've found a good enough workaround using launchpad and the ls command, which, on the long run, can probably be hooked to the reader's auto-refresh-book cycle. Only the second part of the question remains now: how can I make the kindle open a given book from a kindlet? Please help me out with this, two cute girls are waiting for a usable collection manager Any solution, no matter how messy, would be great.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
wolfchimneyrock
wolfchimneyrock began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k3 3G/wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxpdm View Post
I've found a good enough workaround using launchpad and the ls command, which, on the long run, can probably be hooked to the reader's auto-refresh-book cycle. Only the second part of the question remains now: how can I make the kindle open a given book from a kindlet? Please help me out with this, two cute girls are waiting for a usable collection manager Any solution, no matter how messy, would be great.
it is designed to be a sandbox, with each kindlet totally unaware of any other kindlet's existence ... and in the case of the kindle, each book is a 'kindlet' (though not an active one)

are you on the kdk? or are you an unofficial developer?
wolfchimneyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
firefoxpdm

I'm just an enthusiastic, with no prior java, and limited linux knowledge, using the kdk grabbed from the kindle – among other great stuff I've found here. The worst part is I have some ideas about how it could be done, but I lack the knowledge to figure them out myself.

Right now even a command line method to open a book would be much appreciated, because from then on I could create a file from within the kindlet with the book's path, and if a program were to wait in the background, maybe with some inotify support, it could handle the actual opening. Or maybe the launchpad could be convinced to help out somehow…