Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Toc.ncx question

I'm in the process of trying to understand the whole process of creating epub files. I'm reading online tutorials, but also unpacking ebooks that I have in my collection, to see if I can understand what they have done.

I'm trying to understand toc.ncx files at the moment, and I'm curious as to why the ones I have opened up contain incredibly complex id entries. One example that I've just copied at random is:

<navPoint class="chapter" id="4e02a154-acca-4e58-908f-db2a4938277d" playOrder="18">

Nothing in the tutorials I've read so far explains why such complex numbers are there in the toc.ncx. Can anyone help me with this?
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
just a guess, computers like very random names so I guess a computer provided the complex name.

I think the same result may have been accomplished with:

<navPoint class="chapter" id="who-loves-you" playOrder="18">

as long as it it defined in the corresponding file.

now, supposing the computer exports from whatever program you were using, and generates random text, its only a problem if you contradict it in the file the index points to.

ie. it doesn't matter if it's supercallafrajalisticexpealodosis or 123. They just have to be the same as the pointer in the index and the receiver in the file it points to.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
ie. it doesn't matter if it's supercallafrajalisticexpealodosis or 123. They just have to be the same as the pointer in the index and the receiver in the file it points to.
Well, except that a proper id can't start with a numeric character

- But you knew that, didn't you. Let's not confuse the beginners here. (like me)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Well, except that a proper id can't start with a numeric character

- But you knew that, didn't you. Let's not confuse the beginners here. (like me)
Actually the original example also started with a number. ncx files are described in the wiki. They are not html but rather dtbook files so the id rule does not apply. The id's in the first example were obviously made up by a computer and not entered by a human. It is better to have human entries I think.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote