Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
mon
mon began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
overview screen

After upgrading my original Kobo to 1.8.3, I noticed that the overview screen had disappeared. Did this happen to everyone? I've loaded a ton of books on my Kobo, and I can't always remember the plots, so I found the overview option to be really useful when deciding which book to read next.
mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
?????
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
We removed the overview screen a few versions ago. We were relatively sure not many people were using them, and at the time we simply didn't have good overview data for all our books, especially in the preloaded 100 books and decided this would be an undesirable experience.

SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
SameerH, I think the biggest "undesirable experience" was knowing that any book you opened to look at would remain forever in your now reading list until you finished it, that's probably why not many used it. I think it would be great to open a book on my Kobo, look at the overview screen (it could contain whatever you are using for the short book descriptions on your website) and decide if it is something I want to read right now. If not, I could choose to close the book somehow so that it wouldn't show in my now reading list. Once you add the ability to "close" a book somehow, I think it would be nice to add this overview page back in.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
SameerH, I think the biggest "undesirable experience" was knowing that any book you opened to look at would remain forever in your now reading list until you finished it, that's probably why not many used it. I think it would be great to open a book on my Kobo, look at the overview screen (it could contain whatever you are using for the short book descriptions on your website) and decide if it is something I want to read right now. If not, I could choose to close the book somehow so that it wouldn't show in my now reading list. Once you add the ability to "close" a book somehow, I think it would be nice to add this overview page back in.
Couldn't agree more
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Hey, let's not give people the OPTION to turn it off, instead let's just take it away. Like the damn 15 mins go to sleep if not in use, 30 mins hell I'm turning myself off.... NOOOoo now we'll just go to sleep and stay there...

OPTIONS people ... OPTIONS, just don't take things away, give US the option to decide if WE want to use a feature or not. Put it in settings with a: Do you want to use this feature Yes/No.

Last edited by Danger; 01-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
Good feedback. I'll pass it on to the team. We are always looking for ways to enhance the experience, and these boards are an amazing source of ideas.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
razmichael
razmichael doesn't litterrazmichael doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi
Slightly off topic - it has been mentioned before in the forum but I do want to add how impressed I am with the assistance, patience and support from the Kobo staff (in this case specifically the outstanding work from SameerH) here. It is very rare to have this type of direct input and response from support staff on an 'outside' forum - actually it is rare for it on a forum supported by the company in question. Similar comments have been made by those who are working more on hacking and developing directly on the Kobo platform. The Kobo staff have fully supported them and provided information, code etc. Well done to Kobo. The product is not perfect but will only get better. When we bought our first Kobo it was only a matter of months before we picked up the second one - partially because out 5 year old was hogging it to read Magic Tree House books from the library! Well done Kobo.
razmichael is offline   Reply With Quote